Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

14 ACC University Presidents approved Notre Dame's current membership status. Clearly they must see some value to the current arrangement.

Without ND, Olympic and Women's sports take a hit. Maybe our basketball TV contract is worth less money to ESPN. Maybe there's no ACC Network.

To quote Bob Seger:
"I used her, she used me, but neither one cared.
We were gettin' our share."

This is America. Nobody agrees to anything unless everyone profits.

ND isn't going anywhere until after 2036. If at all.

14 ACC University Presidents approved Notre Dame's current membership status. Clearly they must see some value to the current arrangement.

Without ND, Olympic and Women's sports take a hit. Maybe our basketball TV contract is worth less money to ESPN. Maybe there's no ACC Network.

To quote Bob Seger:
"I used her, she used me, but neither one cared.
We were gettin' our share."

This is America. Nobody agrees to anything unless everyone profits.

ND isn't going anywhere until after 2036. If at all.
If you believe this and I don’t know if you do Notre Dame would start their own network and keep all the money for themselves. Just like Texas and Longhorn Network.

Like they do with their football program and NBC Sports.

Notre Dame football I will grant is a strong brand.

Notre Dame basketball isn’t as big as Xavier basketball.

They aren’t why Disney used its leverage to get the ACC Network on cable.

A couple of Notre Dams football games aren’t going to seal the deal for the ACC Network.

They are parasites who take advantage of weak conferences for their own benefit.

The 14 ACC schools agreed to the deal because they get some value but Notre Dame only cares about Notre Dame.

The ACC survives because of ESPN and Disney backing them. Not because of Notre Dame parking its non-football programs in the conference.

Notre Dame could have parked into Olympic sports with the Big East Catholic schools they didn’t want that.

They wanted the best P5 conference they could get. The ACC and Big XII talked with them. The ACC got the deal done and got 5 annual football games.

If Notre Dame basketball left the ACC tomorrow it wouldn’t hurt the conference one iota. Notre Dame wants nothing to do with the Big Ten full membership.

If the ACC had real leadership they would actually use the leverage they currently have if Notre Dame wants to play college football this year.

If you believe this and I don’t know if you do Notre Dame would start their own network and keep all the money for themselves. Just like Texas and Longhorn Network.

Like they do with their football program and NBC Sports.

Notre Dame football I will grant is a strong brand.

Notre Dame basketball isn’t as big as Xavier basketball.

They aren’t why Disney used its leverage to get the ACC Network on cable.

A couple of Notre Dams football games aren’t going to seal the deal for the ACC Network.

They are parasites who take advantage of weak conferences for their own benefit.

The 14 ACC schools agreed to the deal because they get some value but Notre Dame only cares about Notre Dame.

The ACC survives because of ESPN and Disney backing them. Not because of Notre Dame parking its non-football programs in the conference.

Notre Dame could have parked into Olympic sports with the Big East Catholic schools they didn’t want that.

They wanted the best P5 conference they could get. The ACC and Big XII talked with them. The ACC got the deal done and got 5 annual football games.

If Notre Dame basketball left the ACC tomorrow it wouldn’t hurt the conference one iota. Notre Dame wants nothing to do with the Big Ten full membership.

If the ACC had real leadership they would actually use the leverage they currently have if Notre Dame wants to play college football this year.

I can’t figure out if you think NBC got screwed for their tv deal or the ACC did for allowing the quasi relationship? It can’t be both.

ACC ADs want ND for football games no matter the relationship bc they put people in seats for games.

I would accommodate them bc why not.Just because they struck a unique deal and are asking for help during a pandemic why should the schools tell them to pound sand? it makes no sense other than people being angry.

the most on brand thing ND could do is just shut all their sports down regardless. They have an ivy like endowment and could survive.

I can’t figure out if you think NBC got screwed for their tv deal or the ACC did for allowing the quasi relationship? It can’t be both.

ACC ADs want ND for football games no matter the relationship bc they put people in seats for games.

I would accommodate them bc why not.Just because they struck a unique deal and are asking for help during a pandemic why should the schools tell them to pound sand? it makes no sense other than people being angry.

the most on brand thing ND could do is just shut all their sports down regardless. They have an ivy like endowment and could survive.
NBC didn’t get screwed one iota.

Notre Dame gets keep all of their money from their NBC deal for themselves.

The ACC isn’t partners with NBC. They are partners with Disney/ESPN/ABC.

The ACC football membership is 14 schools.

Notre Dame is not one of those 14.

The ACC has to fulfill its own TV obligations to get paid. Those obligations are to Disney and ESPN.

The ACC leadership shouldn’t give a chit about helping Notre Dame football during a pandemic. If they want to join the football conference help them. If not sorry go play independent schools on NBC.

It makes no sense to be angry? Why help out a nonmember and take money away from a partner?
Sorry I but I believe you help your partners who pay you a lot of money i.e Disney rather than taking money from them and helping quasi-partner who gets to keep all of their own money and doesn’t share that with the conference.

The spell Notre Dame has over people just makes no sense. They aren’t the end all be all. They aren’t better than anyone else. If they want independence then you reap what you sow.

The spell Notre Dame has over people just makes no sense. They aren’t the end all be all. They aren’t better than anyone else. If they want independence then you reap what you sow.
I, along with nearly everyone on this board, agree they are not the end all be all. But their fans think they are, and there are a lot of them. That's why they get to do what they want.

NBC didn’t get screwed one iota.

Notre Dame gets keep all of their money from their NBC deal for themselves.

The ACC isn’t partners with NBC. They are partners with Disney/ESPN/ABC.

The ACC football membership is 14 schools.

Notre Dame is not one of those 14.

The ACC has to fulfill its own TV obligations to get paid. Those obligations are to Disney and ESPN.

The ACC leadership shouldn’t give a chit about helping Notre Dame football during a pandemic. If they want to join the football conference help them. If not sorry go play independent schools on NBC.

It makes no sense to be angry? Why help out a nonmember and take money away from a partner?
Sorry I but I believe you help your partners who pay you a lot of money i.e Disney rather than taking money from them and helping quasi-partner who gets to keep all of their own money and doesn’t share that with the conference.

Fair points. I just think that smarter/more informed people decided to have a relationship with ND and all the schools are just fine with it. Now that we are confronting a situation that is unique, said schools are willing to accommodate the school they originally made the deal with. I'm fine with this.

I speak from the standpoint that these conferences are farces anyway. They are just television collaborations at this point. As a Syracuse fan, I like to play ND as much as possible vs NC State.

Fair points. I just think that smarter/more informed people decided to have a relationship with ND and all the schools are just fine with it. Now that we are confronting a situation that is unique, said schools are willing to accommodate the school they originally made the deal with. I'm fine with this.

I speak from the standpoint that these conferences are farces anyway. They are just television collaborations at this point. As a Syracuse fan, I like to play ND as much as possible vs NC State.
Notre Dame doesn’t view Syracuse as an equal partner like NC State does.

I value partners who feel they are equals and don’t act superior when they are living off a legacy that is long gone.

I, along with nearly everyone on this board, agree they are not the end all be all. But their fans think they are, and there are a lot of them. That's why they get to do what they want.
They get it away with it because the Big Ten wants them in their conference or to keep the status quo.
It’s all geopolitical garbage I don’t care to type. I wish I wrote a book on college realignment I just don’t have the time and energy to do it right and I don’t think their is a market for it. I get it but very few look it at from the Marco level. It’s like politics most people are dug into what they believe and don’t care to get the actual truth.

Notre Dame doesn’t view Syracuse as an equal partner like NC State does.

I value partners who feel they are equals and don’t act superior when they are living off a legacy that is long gone.

All of these issues would go away if the playoff stipulated you needed to be in a conference to participate in the playoff. The legacy is alive and kicking because they won't do it. Ever. ND is allowed to make their own rules. Same with Texas too. These brands are iconic and will always make their own rules.

The equality is very thin. They showed their colors when they invited us the first time and then pulled the rug out from us. VA Tech, UVA, NC Schools were totally fine with us slinking back to the Big East. That decision cost us real money and frankly set us back. Things were righted when there was no choice for the ACC but to include us years later.

These things will destabilize again. Bees back me up, Get the Maryland Mole on speed dial. :)

All of these issues would go away if the playoff stipulated you needed to be in a conference to participate in the playoff. The legacy is alive and kicking because they won't do it. Ever. ND is allowed to make their own rules. Same with Texas too. These brands are iconic and will always make their own rules.

The equality is very thin. They showed their colors when they invited us the first time and then pulled the rug out from us. VA Tech, UVA, NC Schools were totally fine with us slinking back to the Big East. That decision cost us real money and frankly set us back. Things were righted when there was no choice for the ACC but to include us years later.

These things will destabilize again. Bees back me up, Get the Maryland Mole on speed dial. :)
Texas has its own TV deal for tier-3 rights.
They make a chitload off those.

Texas plays its conference opponents like equals. They don’t play their road games at neutral sites.

The ACC schools HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MARC WARNER using leverage take of his care of instate team. The ACC wanted Syracuse, Boston College and Miami.
They wanted Miami most of all.

We got screwed by North Carolina and Duke. Not NC State, Wake, Virginia.

Notre Dame wants to have their cake and eat it as well. They do it because the Big Ten wants them in their conference or to remain what they are. That is what is this all about. The Big Ten understands the big picture for college TV rights.

The ACC doing the deal they did keeps the status quo.

The Big Ten is smarter than the ACC they saw what the ACC was doing and okay we won’t let you make a play for Penn State. That is what Maryland and Rutgers were.

The ACC exists now because North Carolina is a king in this conference if they went to the SEC or Big Ten they would be rooks or bishops.

This whole thing is a chess board. Florida State would leave the ACC if they could get into the Big Ten or SEC.

They can’t.

The Big Ten is holding out 15 and 16 because they want the endgame to be Notre Dame and one of North Carolina/Texas/Oklahoma.

I mean c’mon. Notre Dame is a parasite. They don’t help the ACC as much as the garbage political spin we read on here to justify their deal.

Texas has its own TV deal for tier-3 rights.
They make a chitload off those.

Texas plays its conference opponents like equals. They don’t play their road games at neutral sites.

The ACC schools HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MARC WARNER using leverage take of his care of instate team. The ACC wanted Syracuse, Boston College and Miami.
They wanted Miami most of all.

We got screwed by North Carolina and Duke. Not NC State, Wake, Virginia.

Notre Dame wants to have their cake and eat it as well. They do it because the Big Ten wants them in their conference or to remain what they are. That is what is this all about. The Big Ten understands the big picture for college TV rights.

The ACC doing the deal they did keeps the status quo.

The Big Ten is smarter than the ACC they saw what the ACC was doing and okay we won’t let you make a play for Penn State. That is what Maryland and Rutgers were.

The ACC exists now because North Carolina is a king in this conference if they went to the SEC or Big Ten they would be rooks or bishops.

This whole thing is a chess board. Florida State would leave the ACC if they could get into the Big Ten or SEC.

They can’t.

The Big Ten is holding out 15 and 16 because they want the endgame to be Notre Dame and one of North Carolina/Texas/Oklahoma.

I mean c’mon. Notre Dame is a parasite. They don’t help the ACC as much as the garbage political spin we read on here to justify their deal.

If Warner strong armed UVA we still could have gotten in had the rest of the ACC voted to allow it to happen. Am i not remembering this right? Duke and UNC voted against all teams coming in. Terrible job by Swofford of not having a better whip of his constituents. I stand by my comment that we are a stranger in a strange land and will always be. We aren't a southern school.

I get the reason we're in and it's money. Nothing more, nothing less.

If Warner strong armed UVA we still could have gotten in had the rest of the ACC voted to allow it to happen. Am i not remembering this right? Duke and UNC voted against all teams coming in. Terrible job by Swofford of not having a better whip of his constituents. I stand by my comment that we are a stranger in a strange land and will always be. We aren't a southern school.

I get the reason we're in and it's money. Nothing more, nothing less.
Duke and UNC were against all expansion in the votes.
ACC needed 7 of 9 to expand.
They said they were okay with just Miami but wouldn’t vote to add them.

That meant all of the other 7 teams had to vote for Swofford’s plan.

Warner strong armed Virginia. That isn’t Virginia’s fault or Swofford’s fault. That was completely unforeseen.

We got screwed because of Marc Warner. We also screwed ourselves after we didn’t get invited Buzz and Crouthamel took their ball and went home to the Big East. Boston College played both sides and got the 12th spot for the ACC.

Donna Shalala was a SU alum and president of Miami she wanted SU part of where Miami went. She would have supported SU as the 12th team over BC. Buzz and Crouthamel didn’t pursue it hard and the ACC chose BC as the 12th in the fall of the 2003.

The ACC didn’t screw us. The Senior Senator from the Commonwealth of Virginia did.

Personally, I really do not care one way or another, but one thing that I think the ACC may be keeping in mind concerning ND football at this particular time. Why does ND play Navy every year? As I understand history, Navy agreed to play ND when ND needed rescuing. ND has demonstrated it has a long memory. It is possible that history can repeat, and ND will remember that the ACC has thrown it a lifeline for football this year.

And that institutional memory could have an impact in the future. Just like for Navy helping ND, and for UConn with its lawsuit against BC and the ACC.

Personally, I really do not care one way or another, but one thing that I think the ACC may be keeping in mind concerning ND football at this particular time. Why does ND play Navy every year? As I understand history, Navy agreed to play ND when ND needed rescuing. ND has demonstrated it has a long memory. It is possible that history can repeat, and ND will remember that the ACC has thrown it a lifeline for football this year.

And that institutional memory could have an impact in the future. Just like for Navy helping ND, and for UConn with its lawsuit against BC and the ACC.
Are you an FSU fan or which ACC team?I don’t remember.
I give you credit for at least bringing an interesting theory. I don’t agree but it’s a completely fair point.

Serious question. What partner teams will be screwed over if we toss ND a life line? I am a bit confused here.

That's my point. I think the issue is more personal than pragmatic.

ND like i said could shut it all down versus genuflect to anyone at this point and i'd be more impressed w them if they did that. However they are committed to their student athletes and i'm sure they want them playing in the conference they are aligned with. End of the day it's kids playing sports. The biz side of it is done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom