Will it get worse? | Syracusefan.com

Will it get worse?

Nicknack

All Conference
I graduated in '93. I was able to watch some GREAT basketball while on campus and for many years after leaving SU. I didn't realized how spoiled I was watching the likes of Coleman, Owens, Thompson, and others run up and down the court in the dome.

Football was the same. We had a good product, was fun to watch especially during the McNabb years. If we only had a defense during his time. Then the 2000's happened. I still remember that loss to Rutgers in 1999. At the time, I remember hoping it was an anomaly but deep down, I knew our program was slipping. While we had a couple of good years over the last 22-23 years, it's been pretty miserable.

I can't help but think that in my lifetime, I may never see these two programs where they once were. I tend to be an optimistic kind of a guy, but these two programs have really beaten me down and last night's loss against Colgate was just one more punch to the gut.

What do we do from here? I think it's obvious from a basketball standpoint. Boeheim should be cherished for years - he is a legend - but also needs to go. We MUST re-build our program. The times have changed and our program needs to reflect those changes. We may struggle with Boeheim's replacement, and probably will, but it has to happen (sooner rather than later). We need a new identity.

From a football standpoint, I don't know, but Dino certainly is not the answer. I really liked what he was trying to build at SU during his first 3-4 years, but just couldn't get it done. I think we HAVE to build a niche program to offset the more talented teams that exist. We can't compete well trying to play the same style as a Clemson, Notre Dame, or Florida State.

I don't know what "worse" would be at Syracuse. I do not want a season like Ewing had at Georgetown (still sucks) last year where they didn't win a single conference game ... but they did beat SU.

From a football standpoint, I don't know, but Dino certainly is not the answer. I really liked what he was trying to build at SU during his first 3-4 years, but just couldn't get it done. I think we HAVE to build a niche program to offset the more talented teams that exist. We can't compete well trying to play the same style as a Clemson, Notre Dame, or Florida State.
We could have a better football program, in the position we find ourselves in, if we didn't play in a dome. The weather could be a natural advantage against the southern teams for the last couple weeks (depends on the year) of the season. Instead we're trying to beat teams that will almost always have more talent at their own game.

We could have a better football program, in the position we find ourselves in, if we didn't play in a dome. The weather could be a natural advantage against the southern teams for the last couple weeks (depends on the year) of the season. Instead we're trying to beat teams that will almost always have more talent at their own game.
You think recruiting is hard now? Imagine trying to get Florida kids to come play in <30 degree temperatures for half the season

In my opinion we'll get better. Boeheim's teams normally do. Colgate had 22 assists last night. They maybe the best fundamental team we see all season.

In my opinion we'll get better. Boeheim's teams normally do. Colgate had 22 assists last night. They maybe the best fundamental team we see all season.
they are a very good team fundamentally, but I think the likes of UVA who are just as sound fundamentally and 100X more talented, will beat us to an orange pulp. As will the teams who are way more talented than we are. our raw talent is pretty good, but we will face a lot of ACC teams with raw talent that is great, and we will face veteran teams with good talent. basically, we are probably screwed

I graduated in '93. I was able to watch some GREAT basketball while on campus and for many years after leaving SU. I didn't realized how spoiled I was watching the likes of Coleman, Owens, Thompson, and others run up and down the court in the dome.

Football was the same. We had a good product, was fun to watch especially during the McNabb years. If we only had a defense during his time. Then the 2000's happened. I still remember that loss to Rutgers in 1999. At the time, I remember hoping it was an anomaly but deep down, I knew our program was slipping. While we had a couple of good years over the last 22-23 years, it's been pretty miserable.

I can't help but think that in my lifetime, I may never see these two programs where they once were. I tend to be an optimistic kind of a guy, but these two programs have really beaten me down and last night's loss against Colgate was just one more punch to the gut.

What do we do from here? I think it's obvious from a basketball standpoint. Boeheim should be cherished for years - he is a legend - but also needs to go. We MUST re-build our program. The times have changed and our program needs to reflect those changes. We may struggle with Boeheim's replacement, and probably will, but it has to happen (sooner rather than later). We need a new identity.

The difference with football is there are assistants we actually want to retain... there are scenarios where Dino moves on and we don't have to burn the whole thing to the ground. The scheduling changes will help starting next year. The portal will continue to help us get those SEC defectors. Maybe Weitz will stick around to help with NIL. The future has hope there. And basketball will stop the bleeding, too, when the administration acknowledges the financial hit. Not if but when.

If you close your eyes or decide not to watch any other SU games the rest of the year, then Colgate will definitely be the best fundamental team we see all year.
and if you open your eyes you will see that Colgate is a better basketball team than we are, and that alone should get JB sent off to retirement

I don't know what "worse" would be at Syracuse. I do not want a season like Ewing had at Georgetown (still sucks) last year where they didn't win a single conference game ... but they did beat SU.
What is the over/under on conference wins for us this year?

Two? Maybe three?

By the end of this year we may have a 12-way tie for "best fundamental team we've seen all season."

Colgate was 142nd in SRS last year. Slightly better than average
They were 36th the year before that.
146th before that. Slightly better than average.
143 before that, slightly better than average

This is getting a little goofy. Just call that team a different name and it's less of a shlitfit. It's as much about Colgate getting so much better than it is about us getting so much worse

This is getting a little goofy. Just call that team a different name and it's less of a shlitfit. It's as much about Colgate getting so much better than it is about us getting so much worse

Speaking of goofy...What was georgetown's SRS last year?

Eh.

4 years ago we beat them by 19.
3 years ago we beat them by 16.

If their SRS is roughly the same, then it seems like it's about us getting worse

Can it get worse? Honest question

Eh.

4 years ago we beat them by 19.
3 years ago we beat them by 16.

If their SRS is roughly the same, then it seems like it's about us getting worse

or SRS is a useless stat. It uses point differential.

Like last night, I think some here said Colgate could have won by more...they didn't, so the results are skewed.

It's a goofy stat to use.

georgetown was higher than colgate last year for example...and we were WAY higher than both

or SRS is a useless stat. It uses point differential.

Like last night, I think some here said Colgate could have won by more...they didn't, so the results are skewed.

It's a goofy stat to use.

georgetown was higher than colgate last year for example
what stat do you prefer?

I'm not the one who purposed Colgate was good. You did.
if you would slow down with the youthful anklebiting you'd see that I said they were slightly better than average last year

you proposed that SRS is a goofy stat. Since you're really smart, I want to use your better one, you are up to speed on new math and I like to try to stay current. Thanks

if you would slow down with the youthful anklebiting you'd see that I said they were slightly better than average last year

you proposed that SRS is a goofy stat. Since you're really smart, I want to use your better one, you are up to speed on new math and I like to try to stay current. Thanks
Sure

How about "# of wins in the NCAA Tournament by team from the Patriot League in THE HISTORY OF THE TOURNAMENT"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom