Will JB be forced out if ‘22-‘23 is another losing season? | Syracusefan.com

Will JB be forced out if ‘22-‘23 is another losing season?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I know this was his first losing season in 46 years, but the downward trend is more concerning. Slow and steady decline over the past decade.

Will he be forced out if he has a losing season next year? Looking at the roster, we may be lucky to win 10-12 games. This year was the worst Syracuse team in 50 years, but next year could be worse.

I know JB won’t be fired, but I think you have to force him out if he has another losing season and doesn’t retire on his own. Hopefully JB does the right thing.

zero chance for losing season next year, imo
Lol, that’s the same thing dozens of posters said after we lost to Colgate, yet here we are.

I actually don’t see a winning season next year without an overhaul of at least 3 players from the portal. We played the portal game last season and lost. I’m not optimistic for portal 2.0

Lol, that’s the same thing dozens of posters said after we lost to Colgate, yet here we are.

I actually don’t see a winning season next year without an overhaul of at least 3 players from the portal. We played the portal game last season and lost. I’m not optimistic for portal 2.0
I think we're looking at a much easier non-conference schedule next year.

We had a shot of making the tourney this yr if Jesse were healthy

You discount what we might have done if Jesse hadn't got hurt. I would wait to see what we will look like before I would jump to the conclusions that we won't do well in the portal. there is an incentive we have this year that we didn't have last year. And that is that we won't have to get Jimmy a spot and guarantee that he really wouldn't have competition.

I think you're making assumptions we are done losing players and I don't believe that to be the case.
Educated guess. There’s a difference.

Maybe I just lost track of where I posted it, or maybe it was deemed too harsh, but let's just say that circumstances will be different next year in terms of prioritizing who gets minutes. Depending on who stays, I could see us getting at least 1 solid portal player. Cole coming back would be huge, and I think having him, Jesse, and JG3 to build around while sprinkling in the frosh could make for a much more fun season. Getting JG3 off the ball and having a guard that can drive and penetrate could make for an exciting team.

Maybe I just lost track of where I posted it, or maybe it was deemed too harsh, but let's just say that circumstances will be different next year in terms of prioritizing who gets minutes. Depending on who stays, I could see us getting at least 1 solid portal player. Cole coming back would be huge, and I think having him, Jesse, and JG3 to build around while sprinkling in the frosh could make for a much more fun season. Getting JG3 off the ball and having a guard that can drive and penetrate could make for an exciting team.
I dont think there's any question it will be more exciting. If it's not, I may have to find a new hobby.

That squad against Duke but with Jesse at the 5 and an improved Benny or a portal forward should be able to be pretty interesting on O and at least respectable on defense.

I dont think there's any question it will be more exciting. If it's not, I may have to find a new hobby.

That squad against Duke but with Jesse at the 5 and an improved Benny or a portal forward should be able to be pretty interesting on O and at least respectable on defense.
I really hope Benny sticks around. The athleticism is there, once he gets some confidence watch out. I believe the staff will make him a potent contributor if he can show some Waiters-like patience in his improvement and PT.

I really hope Benny sticks around. The athleticism is there, once he gets some confidence watch out. I believe the staff will make him a potent contributor if he can show some Waiters-like patience in his improvement and PT.
Just have to hope that if he does end up being a starter that one of him or Symir can improve their mid-range jumper from terrible to at-least below average. I'm not greedy and wanting something unrealistic, just can't have guys completely sag off into the paint and neuter their driving threat. Having both of them and Jesse out there would be rough but at least Joe and Cole are major spot up threats to even it out a bit.

We might not have the offensive firepower we had this year but we'll be a better team because we'll have a lot better defense.jmo
Instead of the offense being around 25-30th in most metrics and the defense in the 200s. I'm perfectly happy to drop down to the 50s-60s on O and move back into that same range on D. Is that 2nd part possible with Joe still in one of the spots up top? Not sure but should have an average or better defender at the other 4 spots.

Don't expect the AD to force JB to retire.
JB continuing as HC next season at age 78, staying after his sons move on, says to me that he plans to coach until his health fails.
Wonder if JB would have retired "on top" if he had an exceeding expectations season coaching his sons.

Has JB stated his goals/reasons for returning to coach another season at age 78? Obviously not necessary, but is it not wanting to end on a low ebb, is it chasing numbers/history, is it stubbornness, is it all that and/or other motivation?

Not much to debate regarding projected W-L next season until roster set (who leaves/arrives via portal).

Has JB stated his goals/reasons for returning to coach another season at age 78? Obviously not necessary, but is it not wanting to end on a low ebb, is it chasing numbers/history, is it stubbornness, is it all that and/or other motivation?
Would be interesting to hear. I believe he genuinely loves coaching college basketball. He's been in the game for 50+ years and his mind is sharp. But hard to teach an old dog new tricks (e.g. develop a bench, there are other defenses that are effective) :)

Would be interesting to hear. I believe he genuinely loves coaching college basketball. He's been in the game for 50+ years and his mind is sharp. But hard to teach an old dog new tricks (e.g. develop a bench, there are other defenses that are effective) :)
Really: the parts of the recent Duke game I watched saw different defenses than the 2-3.

Really: the parts of the recent Duke game I watched saw different defenses than the 2-3.
And I was excited to watch that! Now what about the first 32 games? The zone wasn't exactly a juggernaut this year. I think the triangle and two could be a great wrinkle throughout the season.

You discount what we might have done if Jesse hadn't got hurt. I would wait to see what we will look like before I would jump to the conclusions that we won't do well in the portal. there is an incentive we have this year that we didn't have last year. And that is that we won't have to get Jimmy a spot and guarantee that he really wouldn't have competition.
I love Jesse, but we were losing games and meddling around .500 all year with Jesse. It’s not like the wheels fully came off after he went down.

I think people here don’t to want to accept how truly bad this Syracuse team was. It’s great to be hopeful for next season, but we’ve been doing the same thing every year for the past decade and most years we’ve gotten worse. Right now I’m not remotely optimistic for next year. I’m not remotely optimistic about the future of Syracuse basketball as long as JB is the head coach.

I love Jesse, but we were losing games and meddling around .500 all year with Jesse. It’s not like the wheels fully came off after he went down.

I think people here don’t to want to accept how truly bad this Syracuse team was. It’s great to be hopeful for next season, but we’ve been doing the same thing every year for the past decade and most years we’ve gotten worse. Right now I’m not remotely optimistic for next year. I’m not remotely optimistic about the future of Syracuse basketball as long as JB is the head coach.
JB is at the point now where he will leave when he decides to leave.

We had just won 4 games in a row. Jesse was certainly playing better later than he was early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom