Will the band keep pace? | Syracusefan.com

Will the band keep pace?

OrangeTarheel

It’s time to kick names and take ass
The real question tomorrow night --- in the HCDB era will the band be able to keep up when we get a first down? Can they perform our first down music before the next play is snapped?

Babers has probably already told the band conductor to hold off on any music until they score, there will be plenty of opportunities for the band to play.

I feel bad for the cheerleaders. They are going to be doing a lot of push-ups.

I feel bad for the cheerleaders. They are going to be doing a lot of push-ups.
Dino's had them on this program since early July
upload_2016-9-1_11-18-51.png

The real question tomorrow night --- in the HCDB era will the band be able to keep up when we get a first down? Can they perform our first down music before the next play is snapped?
I assume the marching band will have to adopt a Superbowl halftime style approach. Play 10 seconds of this, then 10 seconds of that, oh wait, back to this, oh wow we scored again so back to that and on and on.

Our band?

College bands in general?
Ours, but mostly in general.

Just never liked bands. When I lived in cuse and split season tickets with my aunt (middle school through high school), I always loved rolling in a couple mins before kick-off to miss the band. Now it's sort of a joke I have with my aunt, but yeah, they just don't do it for me at all.

Ours, but mostly in general.

Just never liked bands. When I lived in cuse and split season tickets with my aunt (middle school through high school), I always loved rolling in a couple mins before kick-off to miss the band. Now it's sort of a joke I have with my aunt, but yeah, they just don't do it for me at all.
As someone who was in band for five years and has instructed marching band for the better part of the decade, I also try to miss the band. My eye at this point is far too critical, and it's not worth the aggravation.

The Down the Field first down snippet takes about 6 seconds to play, so they'll probably be OK.

The Down the Field first down snippet takes about 6 seconds to play, so they'll probably be OK.

But they'll only be able to get through S-Y...

But they'll only be able to get through S-Y...

a.k.a. The Spelling of Syracuse Because Our Offense Still Plays at a 20th Century Pace part

Will be great to kill that off.

a.k.a. The Spelling of Syracuse Because Our Offense Still Plays at a 20th Century Pace part

Will be great to kill that off.

Just as long as the students still jingle keys on 3rd down

SUMB director here...

I'm pleased to report that we (myself, football staff, and cheer coaches) have been working on this proactively. I've attended scrimmages and watched the offense in action. I can't say much other than that it is indeed very fast as advertised. We've had to shorten both the musical intro and the vocal cheer to first down so that the entire thing is less than half the length of just the music for the "old" cheer. We came up with a very cool first-down type hand motion to go with it and have already been teaching it to Otto's Army and the new students. We are excited to try it out!

We get good response from the student section to the "old" first down cheer—which isn't actually first down specific in terms of the material—and will be using that at other points in the game to preserve it.

The students in the SUMB have been working very hard and are excited to perform for fans tomorrow. Speaking of this...what time does your Fine lot tailgate start? We might be visiting you. Go Orange!

Justin

SUMB director here...

I'm pleased to report that we (myself, football staff, and cheer coaches) have been working on this proactively. I've attended scrimmages and watched the offense in action. I can't say much other than that it is indeed very fast as advertised. We've had to shorten both the musical intro and the vocal cheer to first down so that the entire thing is less than half the length of just the music for the "old" cheer. We came up with a very cool first-down type hand motion to go with it and have already been teaching it to Otto's Army and the new students. We are excited to try it out!

We get good response from the student section to the "old" first down cheer—which isn't actually first down specific in terms of the material—and will be using that at other points in the game to preserve it.

The students in the SUMB have been working very hard and are excited to perform for fans tomorrow. Speaking of this...we what time does your Fine lot tailgate start? We might be visiting you. Go Orange!

Justin
Care to explain the new cheer and hand motion? Want to make sure we have it right in 310!

Untrue. I just hummed it and timed it. It's clearly 8 seconds first note to last.

By the time they finish, two more plays will have been run.

Sure!

After the music is over, the chant is "GO CUSE!" On each word you make a number 4 with your right hand (go with me on this...) and chop out to make the first down hand sign twice, once on each word. Because of what we're doing with our hands, we're not just making the first down sign twice, we're also making "44". Here's a video of us doing it from band camp:

Hopefully seeing it in action makes it make some sense. As I said, it's very quick!

Unfortunately, and maybe Justin can correct me, the question may very well be whether or not DJ WHATSHISNUTS can keep up with the usual worn out crap, like whip, and jump around.

Hopefully this has changed. College bands help make the college game atmosphere.

#LetTheBandPlay

Sure!

After the music is over, the chant is "GO CUSE!" On each word you make a number 4 with your right hand (go with me on this...) and chop out to make the first down hand sign twice, once on each word. Because of what we're doing with our hands, we're not just making the first down sign twice, we're also making "44". Here's a video of us doing it from band camp:

Hopefully seeing it in action makes it make some sense. As I said, it's very quick!

What else happened at band camp? Popcorn and soda

Sure!

Very cool, nice work.

It's funny, our school has a name that has a sound that is great for chants ("uuuuuuu") but our fan base has never seemed to realize this. Glad you guys are taking advantage.

Very cool, nice work.

It's funny, our school has a name that has a sound that is great for chants ("uuuuuuu") but our fan base has never seemed to realize this. Glad you guys are taking advantage.

Apparently you were in the bathroom during various fullback traps on 3rd and 8 in the 90s.

(I was saying boo-urns).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom