Will there be a class of 2020? | Syracusefan.com

Will there be a class of 2020?

SWC75

Bored Historian
If Oshae comes back, that gives us 13 non-seniors with scholarships. How can we offer anyone in the class of 2020 a scholarship? Sure someone might leave but would you commit to Syracuse before they do?

Q: With no scholarships currently available for the 2020 class, who do they see moving around? I know Buddy Boeheim could go off of a scholarship, but other than that do we wait for people to transfer/declare for the draft?

Syracuse currently has 13 players on its roster for the 2019-20 season and none of them are seniors. So how do you recruit players in the '20 class when you're already at the NCAA's limit on scholarships?

Well, I think you can count on two to three scholarships opening up via various means.

First of all, we are all waiting to see if Oshae Brissett, who is going through the NBA's draft process, will return for his junior year. If he doesn't return, there's a scholarship. If he does return, there's a good chance that he will leave after the 2019-20 season.

With 13 players and no seniors, there could be some logjams at a few positions. That often results in a transfer or two.

I expect to see Syracuse make a very focused effort on a few key recruits in the '20 class.

Q: With no scholarships currently available for the 2020 class, who do they see moving around? I know Buddy Boeheim could go off of a scholarship, but other than that do we wait for people to transfer/declare for the draft?

Syracuse currently has 13 players on its roster for the 2019-20 season and none of them are seniors. So how do you recruit players in the '20 class when you're already at the NCAA's limit on scholarships?

Well, I think you can count on two to three scholarships opening up via various means.

First of all, we are all waiting to see if Oshae Brissett, who is going through the NBA's draft process, will return for his junior year. If he doesn't return, there's a scholarship. If he does return, there's a good chance that he will leave after the 2019-20 season.

With 13 players and no seniors, there could be some logjams at a few positions. That often results in a transfer or two.

I expect to see Syracuse make a very focused effort on a few key recruits in the '20 class.

But how do you recruit before that happens? (Unless you already know who is leaving and can ell the recruits that.)

Oshae will be gone.
I could see Carey leaving if he has a MCW/Dion sophomore jump.
Washington possibly transfers?
At some point Dolezaj will go I think.
Who knows about Sidibe

THIS.

We've offered nearly a dozen 2020 players.

I doubt JB and staff are doing this just to go thru the motions...

But I doubt they are simply assuming that scholarships will become open. I think they already know who might not be here but we don't. That's the intrigue. Again, I don't think it will be enough for a recruit to say that someone will be leaving but we don't know who.

Guys who are underperforming are going to be told it's in their best interest to transfer as there won't be any time for them next season. No one is going to be dismissed, but that talk will be enough.

Guys who are underperforming are going to be told it's in their best interest to transfer as there won't be any time for them next season. No one is going to be dismissed, but that talk will be enough.

And who would that be? Washington was hurt. So was Sidibie. Carey is still a big-time prospect. Braswell was great. Brissett, Hughest, Dolezaj and Boeheim certainly aren't "that guy".

And who would that be? Washington was hurt. So was Sidibie. Carey is still a big-time prospect. Braswell was great. Brissett, Hughest, Dolezaj and Boeheim certainly aren't "that guy".

We'll see when they cross that bridge. If he has legit prospects showing interest, those conversations will be had.

We'll see when they cross that bridge. If he has legit prospects showing interest, those conversations will be had.

I just think that if they are recruiting for 2020 with the prospect of have having 13 underclassmen, they are on the bridge now. I think they already know some things we don't know yet.

Is that what he'll tell the recruits? Will that be enough for them?

I don't think higher end recruits worry about how the sausage is made as they are being recruited? If you are a guy slated for the bottom of the roster, I suppose you might. But we are likely only looking at higher end guys until/unless we get later in the cycle and have confirmed holes. I don't think think the recruits spend as much time as we do worrying about roster management.

We have 2 spots. If Oshae isn't gone this year, he'll be gone next year. We will not see him in Orange as a senior. And Buddy's situation gives us the wiggle room for a 2nd.

So the pitch to our #1 target is easy in terms of room. There's no risk of a scholly not being available. The pitch to the next guy on the list after the first commits is where it gets hairy. He'll likely have a scholarship, but there's still a very slim chance he won't. That said, there are candidates on this roster to be forced out. Sidibe is top of the potential transfer list, especially if he can't get healthy and productive. Hughes has the potential to make the jump to the draft next year, too.

Buddys not going off scholarship

Say nobody leaves and we have a talented 4* recruit ready to commit... You're saying Buddy wouldn't drop down from free tuition and board to JUST free tuition for the sake of the team?

That would be a perplexing decision. I know it's easy to spend other people's money, but room and board would not even make a dent in JB's wallet.

Say nobody leaves and we have a talented 4* recruit ready to commit... You're saying Buddy wouldn't drop down from free tuition and board to JUST free tuition for the sake of the team?

That would be a perplexing decision. I know it's easy to spend other people's money, but room and board would not even make a dent in JB's wallet.

Possible but I think that’s only slightly more likely than having BB come off scholarship because every other player has had their talent drained by a group of monstars.

Possible but I think that’s only slightly more likely than having BB come off scholarship because every other player has had their talent drained by a group of monstars.

Cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom