Winter athletes will be granted an extra year of eligibility | Syracusefan.com

Winter athletes will be granted an extra year of eligibility

These athletes aren’t losing a season.
This season is happening if it happens they shouldn’t get an extra year.

If they cancel the season then give them another season.
I get your side of it and don’t necessarily disagree.

But it’s far from a normal season and certainly not what these kids signed up when they decided to play college hoops. Giving them an extra year in exchange for making hundreds of millions in a pandemic is the least the ncaa could do.

I won’t be upset either way but I think there’s an argument for giving kids who want to play an extra year the opportunity to

I get your side of it and don’t necessarily disagree.

But it’s far from a normal season and certainly not what these kids signed up when they decided to play college hoops. Giving them an extra year in exchange for making hundreds of millions in a pandemic is the least the ncaa could do.

I won’t be upset either way but I think there’s an argument for giving kids who want to play an extra year the opportunity to

I think I'm on this side of the fence.

At the end of the day, what does giving these kids another year really do? It gives the kid a better experience potentially, and also allows them to further their education by possibly getting a master's degree.

I see no downside, if I'm looking at it from a student-athlete wellbeing standpoint.

I think I'm on this side of the fence.

At the end of the day, what does giving these kids another year really do? It gives the kid a better experience potentially, and also allows them to further their education by possibly getting a master's degree.

I see no downside, if I'm looking at it from a student-athlete wellbeing standpoint.
If the NCAA really gave a damn about student-athletes and what college sports “are supposed to be about” then giving everyone an extra year after playing during a pandemic is a no brainer.

Rosters will figure themselves out and I don’t care if it makes coach’s jobs harder, they get compensated enough to handle it. I’ll be surprised if it happens but given the circumstances and what’s being asked of the players I wouldn’t mind if it does.

I'd be fine with it for anyone that also played last year and lost the postseason. So this years freshman don't qualify. Guys missing put last year and on all the offseason stuff and now a screwy season have a legit gripe.

The rationale for giving fall sports athletes an extra year was that players were forced between playing and potentially losing a year of eligibility if the season aborted or opting out due to the uncertainty of the pandemic. I don’t see a more stable environment for winter sports. Agree or not with the premise I think fairness demands a consistent policy.

The rationale for giving fall sports athletes an extra year was that players were forced between playing and potentially losing a year of eligibility if the season aborted or opting out due to the uncertainty of the pandemic. I don’t see a more stable environment for winter sports. Agree or not with the premise I think fairness demands a consistent policy.
The rationale behind fall sports was that a lot of conferences cancelled fall sports in August.

Winter sports aren’t cancelled. If the season happens these athletes shouldn’t get an extra year. The seniors from last year are the ones who deserve an extra year.
For example a sophomore Joe Girard doesn’t need an extra year while a senior from last year didn’t get to finish their last year.

Any kid that wants to opt-out should keep this year of eligibility. However if you play you don’t get an extra year.

The rationale behind fall sports was that a lot of conferences cancelled fall sports in August.

Winter sports aren’t cancelled. If the season happens these athletes shouldn’t get an extra year. The seniors from last year are the ones who deserve an extra year.
For example a sophomore Joe Girard doesn’t need an extra year while a senior from last year didn’t get to finish their last year.

Any kid that wants to opt-out should keep this year of eligibility. However if you play you don’t get an extra year.

Fall sports weren’t canceled, they were postponed to the spring.

The main winter sports lost postseason last year and are primed to miss out on 1/4 of their seasons this year — at minimum.

Give them another year. Why are you so against it?

Fall sports weren’t canceled, they were postponed to the spring.

The main winter sports lost postseason last year and are primed to miss out on 1/4 of their seasons this year — at minimum.

Give them another year. Why are you so against it?
Cancel the season then give them another year.
Players who want to opt out give them another year.

If players play 18 games instead of 28 games nope no reason to give them another year. Players shouldn’t get a free year because of no nonconference games.

Football wasn’t going to be played in the spring it was just said to satisfy players on the teams cancelled. Thus it made sense to give them an extra year.

I think this is the best approach. Give the player an option of playing or not without losing a year of eligibility. The only tricky part will come if the season is cancelled, for whatever reasons, in January or February. I imagine most programs can make it through December without too many issues. I have a suspicion it will be like a medical redshirt. Future eligibility will be determined by the number of games they manage to play.

If players play 18 games instead of 28 games nope no reason to give them another year. Players shouldn’t get a free year because of no nonconference games.

Football wasn’t going to be played in the spring it was just said to satisfy players on the teams cancelled. Thus it made sense to give them an extra year.

You’re completely missing the point. These are tough times and circumstances. Outside of a few scholarships and some funky bookkeeping for a few years, what is the negative of doing this?

So if they get another year, will their scholarships count toward the allowed total?

You’re completely missing the point. These are tough times and circumstances. Outside of a few scholarships and some funky bookkeeping for a few years, what is the negative of doing this?
I am not missing the point. If it is tough times and circumstances cancel the games. Then the players should get an extra year. The rationale to give players an extra year because they aren't playing all the games they can is just short sighted. The players coming up shouldn't be held back because this season isn't completely full.

So if they get another year, will their scholarships count toward the allowed total?

If they do what they did for Spring and Fall athletes, returning Seniors won't count toward the total for one season.

For the athletes in the spring sports, their scholarships don't count against the max if they stay at their school. If they transfer, their scholarships do count against the max total. All the Ivy athletes who went to another school will count against the max at their new school. Dox Aitken is returning to UVa for MLax. He will not count against our max.

To me your last statement is the key. I think there will be a significant number of players who would opt out due to uncertainty that the season will be completed through the entire NCAA tournament. They should not have to jeopardize a year of eligibility due to that uncertainty. SEC, ACC, and B-12 never indicated they would delay football, let alone cancel yet football players from those conferences are all receiving an extra year. If we accept the premise that the pandemic is in such a state that the completion of the basketball season is not guaranteed, shouldn't basketball players get the same privilege?

Of course, the next question is, "Which players will take advantage of an additional year of eligibility?" I am unsure of football, but it seems to me that few basketball players will stay that extra year. The reality is that most programs are having trouble keeping major contributors for four years. A fifth (or sixth) might be problematic. FWIW, Virginia has three players in their final year of eligibility. If given the option, I doubt that any of them (Huff, Hauser, and/or Woldetensae) will stay for another season. In fact, I suspect the ones most likely to take advantage of the opportunity are bench players who still need a few credits to graduate. Whether schools will keep them on scholarship is another question, though. That will vary.

That said, if covid-19 continues to disrupt intercollegiate basketball, I think the ones most likely to be affected will be the underclassmen who had planned to leave early for the NBA. Some will follow through with their plans and turn pro. Others, who didn't get to showcase their skills as much as anticipated, will stay another year hoping to improve the value of their draft stock. Regardless, granting another year of eligibility to college basketball players probably won't have as much of an impact as many think. Or so I suspect.

Of course, the next question is, "Which players will take advantage of an additional year of eligibility?" I am unsure of football, but it seems to me that few basketball players will stay that extra year. The reality is that most programs are having trouble keeping major contributors for four years. A fifth (or sixth) might be problematic. FWIW, Virginia has three players in their final year of eligibility. If given the option, I doubt that any of them (Huff, Hauser, and/or Woldetensae) will stay for another season. In fact, I suspect the ones most likely to take advantage of the opportunity are bench players who still need a few credits to graduate. Whether schools will keep them on scholarship is another question, though. That will vary.

That said, if covid-19 continues to disrupt intercollegiate basketball, I think the ones most likely to be affected will be the underclassmen who had planned to leave early for the NBA. Some will follow through with their plans and turn pro. Others, who didn't get to showcase their skills as much as anticipated, will stay another year hoping to improve the value of their draft stock. Regardless, granting another year of eligibility to college basketball players probably won't have as much of an impact as many think. Or so I suspect.
Re: players moving on to the NBA--

If the pandemic "continues to disrupt intercollegiate basketball", it stands to reason the pros will also be affected. The NBA can't bubble its teams for 80 games (or 60 or even 40, probably). So college players expecting to turn pro will be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Last season’s seniors deserved this. Not this seasons players for getting less than a full season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom