WIP | Syracusefan.com

WIP

GoSU96

Living Legend
Everybody needs to take a breath here. I think some folks were expecting a finished product from day one.

1. The offense doesn't have a top end impact player. Why is that a surprise? It has a bunch of solid kids at the skill positions. The offense is built around execution. Right now the QB in the pass game is playing at a pretty high level. The WR's are catching everything. Even Graham is making tough catches, and made an excellent play to get a first down. The run game needs to get going.

2. The LB's and DT's from where they started are playing above expectations. Going into the season the fear was getting gashed inside and steamrolled in the run game. That has not happened.

3. The secondary is a mess because of injuries and academics. Yes it's obvious that Phil Thomas is not playing well and Lyn isn't in game shape. But neither would be playing as many snaps if there was anybody behind them. Fisher, Anderson, Munga, George all unavailable. Eskridge clearing house issues.

4. Pass rush, when has Shafer's defense ever generated much pressure out of the DL by itself? The DL is doing a very good job of keeping the LB's clean.

Going into the year the concerns were Nassib's accuracy and ablility to carry the team with his arm and getting blown off the line on run defense and the light LB's getting crushed.

Right now the issues are generating a run game on offense, and third down on both sides of the ball. Improve in those areas and this team will be pretty good.

Not expecting a finished product, but barely scraping by a middle of the pack D2 team or whatever they are isn't acceptable. Granted, our talent level is obviously lacking, but we should've been able to steamroll that team. We might get our 6 wins, but are people happy and content with that being our ceiling?

Everybody needs to take a breath here. I think some folks were expecting a finished product from day one.

2. The LB's and DT's from where they started are playing above expectations. Going into the season the fear was getting gashed inside and steamrolled in the run game. That has not happened.

No it hasn't. But, getting beat to the outside edge has and that concerns me, especially with teams that have backs with great speed. Also, the Defense seems to leave the QB all alone. Nobody shadowing him. It was killing Syracuse yesterday.

Teams struggle versus inferior opponents all the time, va tech lost to James Madison last year, I am just glad we won but it happens. Clearly we have big time gaps to fill, o line and the health of the secondary are issues... Macky as well.

However, we will beat a few teams we probably should not...

We might get our 6 wins, but are people happy and content with that being our ceiling?
For this year? For HCDM's tenure?
Some fans seem to have forgotten what terrible shape our program was in when Marrone inherited it. The rebuilding process doesn't happen overnight, and there's still a long ways to go.

We have to establish a power running game. With DC3 we make that 4th and 1 every single time and it's a completely different game from that point. I don't understand why they aren't giving AAM and JS shots here.

I just don't see us beating any of the 4 teams left on our schedule with mobile scramblers (Toledo, UC, USF and WVU). The inability to pressure the QB except on blitzs and then the inability to contain killed us yesterday.

No it hasn't. But, getting beat to the outside edge has and that concerns me, especially with teams that have backs with great speed. Also, the Defense seems to leave the QB all alone. Nobody shadowing him. It was killing Syracuse yesterday.
We did not get beat on the outside last night by any traditional running play. We got to the perimeter pretty well.

The defense did lose contain on the scrambling QB too many times. That will be fixed with experience.

I still like this team's speed and intensity on defense. I think it could be a good defense when all is through.

We have to establish a power running game. With DC3 we make that 4th and 1 every single time and it's a completely different game from that point. I don't understand why they aren't giving AAM and JS shots here.

On SU's 3rd drive, JS got a shot on 4th and 1 from the URI 14.

Got stuffed.

We got beat on a few scrambles.. Barkley will not do that next week. we got beat on 3-4 plays perfectly called against the blitz give some credit to RI for that.. the RB made a couple nice runs.. 260 yds of offense allowed is actually pretty good. we are now on pace for 30 more TFL than last year.. I dont think we can do much to create a pass rush. the DBs need to make a few plays in coverage.

1. The offense doesn't have a top end impact player. Why is that a surprise? It has a bunch of solid kids at the skill positions. The offense is built around execution. Right now the QB in the pass game is playing at a pretty high level. The WR's are catching everything. Even Graham is making tough catches, and made an excellent play to get a first down. The run game needs to get going.

3. The secondary is a mess because of injuries and academics. Yes it's obvious that Phil Thomas is not playing well and Lyn isn't in game shape. But neither would be playing as many snaps if there was anybody behind them. Fisher, Anderson, Munga, George all unavailable. Eskridge clearing house issues.

4. Pass rush, when has Shafer's defense ever generated much pressure out of the DL by itself? The DL is doing a very good job of keeping the LB's clean.

Going into the year the concerns were Nassib's accuracy and ablility to carry the team with his arm and getting blown off the line on run defense and the light LB's getting crushed.

Right now the issues are generating a run game on offense, and third down on both sides of the ball. Improve in those areas and this team will be pretty good.

Great post

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Not expecting a finished product, but barely scraping by a middle of the pack D2 team or whatever they are isn't acceptable. Granted, our talent level is obviously lacking, but we should've been able to steamroll that team. We might get our 6 wins, but are people happy and content with that being our ceiling?

For this year yes. 6-6 & a bowl game is a great year.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

On SU's 3rd drive, JS got a shot on 4th and 1 from the URI 14.

Got stuffed.
We got stuffed because Mac was destroyed at the point of attack look at the replay he was crushed on that play

A great year? To each his own I guess.
Things to keep in mind:
  1. The schedule's tougher (traded Colgate for a very dangerous Toledo)
    (Additionally: Wake=BC, USC>Washington, Tulane>Akron, URI=Maine)
  2. DC3 is in Indianapolis
  3. two best linebackers are gone
  4. still "rejuvenating"
    (there isn't enough depth to address injuries... e.g. Chandler Jones and the DBs)
While 6-6 doesn't sound "great" and HCDM will never claim it is... it would be a solid year, leading to expectations of a BE Title run in 2012.

We got stuffed because Mac was destroyed at the point of attack look at the replay he was crushed on that play

did you really watch that play? Watch it again.. Chibane and Pugh get stuffed at the line.. Macky tries to off the D tackle and get to the MLB but gets caught up in the Chibane struggle..

Yup,
This was the Colgate game last year. Same offense. Big difference was the 3rd down scrambles made by the QB.

What happened the week after we played Colgate, hmmm, I wonder. Go look it up if you don't remember.

took my daughter out for a driving lesson. we finally made it home to the driveway.
let's just forget about the neighbor's rose bushes.the picket fence,the dead cat. the 5 tickets ,the airbag and all the dings and dents plus the $5000 deductible.
hey we're 2-0!!!!! all that matters is the result! she's a great driver!

What happened the week after we played Colgate, hmmm, I wonder. Go look it up if you don't remember.
A repeat of that result would be great. I was there for that one.

I think that's part of my concern. O-line wasn't supposed to be a concern. We were expecting improved pass protection and similar run production to last year. Up until now they've been the weakest unit on the team. I'm not saying the team right now is exactly what it will be in November, but I think there is cause for concern when what many thought would be a strength looks like a weakness. I'm not trying to say the sky is falling, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and say we're ok simply because we've pulled out two games against the weakest two opponents on the schedule.

6-6 or 7-5 would be perfectly fine for this team. The rebuilding process takes time.

44cuse

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

We might get our 6 wins, but are people happy and content with that being our ceiling?[/quote]

If you think 6 wins are the ceiling, then you are completely confused regarding the makeup of our squad. This is a year where worst case scenario, the young guys struggle to find consistency all year and we fight for our bowl lives so we don't take a step back in the wake of the lost experience. The ceiling however, is that we win the games we are supposed to in the first half of the season, the kids are ready to take on greater roles by the time BE play rolls around, we win 7 or 8 games and set ourselves up beautifully for a 2012 season where nobody on the schedule will want to play us.

amazing the amount of Holding on the Offensive Line, and Hackett didn't gain any points in My Book ,% of run to pass ratio terrible. (Injuries to RB's Possible) need to see Harris and Moore inserted in Game Plan more. I am bias against Paul Hackett I hope the son is better:rolleyes:

I hope the offensive line gets it together quicker than the last two years - they take a long time to put it together.

Bailey's fine, not worried about him. Nassib needs to hit some of these long balls.

Good job on 4th downs by Marrone

I agree, I thought I was the only one seeing that, he just isn't big or strong enough for this level he is a borderline ivy league player

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom