With all the heat on Dino... | Syracusefan.com

With all the heat on Dino...

alphaorange

Starter
Gilbert seems to have slipped under the radar. As I watched our offense the past few weeks, I can't help but notice how basic and predictable it is. NCS ran at least two screens that went for around 15 yards and we can't even run a true screen? Especially with the pass rushes we have been getting? I have to admit I am tired of throwing two yard out passes with no hope of getting WR blocking to get a big gain. You can't tell me a creative OC wouldn't find a way to neutralize some of the pressure. Why not send GS out on a pattern after a pitch. He's big and he's fast. A little bit of trickery and unpredictability couldn't possible be worse, could it? We are beyond bland.

There were opportunities to run play action. Granted GS wouldn’t have made the throw or the WR wouldn’t have even either looked for the ball or dropped it. But I would at least see the play calling was decent and execution was the issue.

We need a new system if Dino stays. We should extend Dino will a smaller buy out for both us and him. That will allow him to hire a new OC. Go RichRod or Utah system. That will give me hope. Still need to find WRs though.
This is a good idea

If Shrader doesn't improve by the Spring give Lamson the keys.
Teams have us figured out and Shrader has to significantly improve as a passer or he needs to sit. I hope he gets some great coaching during the off season as he has all of the qualities you want in a QB but he has to be able to make teams respect the pass.

Gilbert seems to have slipped under the radar. As I watched our offense the past few weeks, I can't help but notice how basic and predictable it is. NCS ran at least two screens that went for around 15 yards and we can't even run a true screen? Especially with the pass rushes we have been getting? I have to admit I am tired of throwing two yard out passes with no hope of getting WR blocking to get a big gain. You can't tell me a creative OC wouldn't find a way to neutralize some of the pressure. Why not send GS out on a pattern after a pitch. He's big and he's fast. A little bit of trickery and unpredictability couldn't possible be worse, could it? We are beyond bland.
Fire Gilbert pay mullens 5 million to come in as oc and tell him when our 10 win season coach is finally terminated he will be our next hc.

Gilbert is incompetent and look no further than the job he did as USF OC. They were a top 10 O mainly due to Quintin Flowers, Gilbert was the coffee boy for his first season and Flowers senior year. When Flowers left the O was a sub 65 O from then on out until he got shown the door.

When we played our first game last year against UNC, USF fans were having a field day with the same garbage he had run at USF being recycled here.

Teams have us figured out and Shrader has to significantly improve as a passer or he needs to sit. I hope he gets some great coaching during the off season as he has all of the qualities you want in a QB but he has to be able to make teams respect the pass.
Make Shrader a wr. All problems solved

What plays you want to run?

You mention, the pass rushes have been getting there, that the WR's can't block. So, you can't run any long developing routes (pass rush, without even getting into WR separation and QB down field ability) and you can't run short routes because you can't block them on the outside.

And your solution, is to send Shrader out on a pass pattern? Didn't we just mention above that the pass rush has been getting home? How is that going to have time to work?

Sometimes, its a talent issue. This team has to pound the ball and essentially never look to pass with the current personnel (OL much better at run blocking, QB that can't throw, WR that can't create after the catch).

Scheme isn't great, but talent and execution are the much bigger problems when it comes to the passing game. Gilbert still schemed WR's open against NC State, QB just missed.

What Gilbert had done was use Elmore to seal the edge on the rollouts to Shrader's right. Elmore and Vetterello going down has made that an issue. Mang isn't the blocker Elmore is and a guard is playing tackle. Hard to trust Tisdale in space.

Last point, this isn't the NFL. Scheme has already had to change due to the QB change. Takes time to get those changes completed and you don't have 8 hours of meetings and practice to get it implemented comfortably each day.

Shrader is likely hurt. Just calm down. He was tremendous for about 3 games.

And refuses to go all in on the 1 receiver that could actually be good *cough cough Alford* because he doesn’t “understand the offense fully”.

Isn’t he playing the most snaps of the WRs at this point?

Queeley and/or Sharod have been phased out I believe.

I’m not sure. I usually just say things based on my gut, with little to no actual information. So maybe.

I’m not sure. I usually just say things based on my gut, with little to no actual information. So maybe.

I remember seeing a play count somewhere. And I remember seeing Queeley on a milk carton.

Fire Gilbert pay mullens 5 million to come in as oc and tell him when our 10 win season coach is finally terminated he will be our next hc.
Yeah, Mullins is going to go from SEC head coach to Syracuse OC, that makes sense.

He has plenty of money, it’s about prestige for top level guys.

Doesn't matter what plays our called with our g5 at best skill guys minus Tucker

Gilbert is consistently awful. If Dino is given another year we must at the very least fire Gilbert
Not going to happen. DB does not want to change the O. That was the reason he brought in Gilbert. He needed to bring I. an OC with different views that he could mold with his style. Unfortunately not going to happen.

Against NCSt Alford played the 2nd most snaps of the WRs behind Cooper. It went Cooper, Alford, Johnson, Queeley, Fishler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom