With all the offensive and ST problems, this game is 100% on the coaches | Syracusefan.com

With all the offensive and ST problems, this game is 100% on the coaches

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Worst coached game I have seen in years, and I'm talking from a mental standpoint. Forget the strange play calling by Hackett in the first half (more than strange, horrible actually), the decisions made by Marrone and this staff in some key moments is mind boggling. The 3 that absolutely killed me and others with me were;

1. First and goal at the 4 and we call a quick hitter pass play to a true frosh? I hated the call in the first place on first down but we run it to a true frosh and it bounces off him for an INT? I get that that play you like a taller WR, so since we don't have an experienced tall WR...you don't run it. Plain and simple. It's not like Foster was a check down, it was the play called.

2. Up 10 and they are punting from their end zone with Rene standing at the 50 for the return. THAT IS WHEN YOU PUT ON THE RETURN! Down 10, fine go after the punt. But you are ahead and how many times do we block punts? The coaches put Wilkes in the position to fail, plain and simple.

3. 4th and 6 inches in OT and we play wussy and kick the FG? Way to inject confidence in the OL. I know if we don't get it we lose on a FG, but if we don't have the confidence to get 6 inches to possibly win the game, well just pack it up. If the OL is that unreliable then we are in big trouble because right now there is not much at all behind them.

As bad s Nassib was, as bad as the specials were today, the coaches did not trust this team to win today. The players put themselves in a position to win even though we had many issues, but the coach's, on a number of occasions, instead of allowing the players to play to win, they instead chose to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Kudos to Shafer and the defense especially Davis and Lyn. Two future all league players and maybe more. Davis is Hogue or Bullock in the making.

The only other thing I was surprised about was just how bad Rutgers is. They can point to the scoreboard, but if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot a number of times, they should have been looking at about a 30-3 score in the 3rd quarter.

I hope this week, instead of worrying that people might find out that your back up RB is hurt, they spend some time looking in the mirror.

As horrible as the reality of what you wrote is, I'm relieved that this is coming from a person with your standing on the board.

There's a lot of eagerness to sweep the issues under the rug. I don't understand it.

As horrible as the reality of what you wrote is, I'm relieved that this is coming from a person with your standing on the board.

There's a lot of eagerness to sweep the issues under the rug. I don't understand it.

Totally agree. I am crushed and bewildered by this loss. I hate losing to Rutgers more than almost any other team. But I still don't understand the calling for coaches to be fired. Bad games happen. Criticize? Fine. Calling for them to be fired after 5 games, particularly after they took us to a bowl game? Just. Don't. Get. It.

Totally agree. I am crushed and bewildered by this loss. I hate losing to Rutgers more than almost any other team. But I still don't understand the calling for coaches to be fired. Bad games happen. Criticize? Fine. Calling for them to be fired after 5 games, particularly after they took us to a bowl game? Just. Don't. Get. It.
There's like two people on here with drive-by posts saying Marrone should be fired. I think you're overstating that a lot.

Bees - there were many bonehead plays all game long - coaches & players - what are the odds to have 3 blocked kicks in a row (the 1 PAT & 2 FGs) - complete collapse on ST along with the complete collapse on O. I keep thinking I was worried all week that the D was going to be the problem.

Honestly can you blame the coaches for 3 blocks in a row?

Bees - there were many bonehead plays all game long - coaches & players - what are the odds to have 3 blocked kicks in a row (the 1 PAT & 2 FGs) - complete collapse on ST along with the complete collapse on O. I keep thinking I was worried all week that the D was going to be the problem.

Absolutely those missed kicks killed us no matter what the problem was and the offense made a million mistakes. But I guess my point is, those mistakes were ones of commission or execution or what I like to say at work, tactical mistakes. It's the strategic mistakes that baffles me even more.

There were breakdowns in a lot of areas coaches and players. I agree with with your points but this game was the most uncomfortable game to watch as I can remember.

Missed opportunities by both teams and interesting calls by officials. We should have won and I think Schiano outcoached Hackett big time and out schemed the special teams coach as well. Their kids held onto the errant passes while ours dropped too many. Both fg kickers struggled and their punter was very good while ours was happy he didn't get it blocked. Bailey has to learn to hold the ball in traffic. Davis made a huge mistake not being in the right place on the Sanu TD even though Thomas tried in vain to move him.

SU NEEDS to fix this 3rd and 1 thing, it's a huge problem.

bees said...

"1. First and goal at the 4 and we call a quick hitter pass play to a true frosh? I hated the call in the first place on first down but we run it to a true frosh and it bounces off him for an INT? I get that that play you like a taller WR, so since we don't have an experienced tall WR...you don't run it. Plain and simple. It's not like Foster was a check down, it was the play called"

do you think it was possible that nassib checked into the play,after all,i have heard that nassib has a total grasp on the offensive scheme.

he had happy feet today

I agree that Rutgers had Nassib uncomfortable all day and he failed to get into any kind of groove. I think he's a wonderful qb but he has to improve his pocket presence.

100% correct on everything you said bees. It looked more like the coaches were trying to throw the game then actually attempt to win. My faith in Marrone is starting to dwindle, and my faith in Hackett is officially extinct. 1st and goal, 5 yard line, empty backfield with 5 wideouts? I realize the running game is poor, but of all the times to go into that formation you do it on 1st down that close to the end zone? Thats like something your drunk friend does in a game of Madden, not in real life with real implications. I know not many people will want to admit it, but were only about 17 points away from potentially being 0-5, with one of those games being against Rhode Island...

Without trying to come off like i'm in meltdown mode, this could really be a long season that could very well take us a step or two backwards, and we have the lowest ranked recruiting class in the conference for next season. I dont know fellas..

bees said...

"1. First and goal at the 4 and we call a quick hitter pass play to a true frosh? I hated the call in the first place on first down but we run it to a true frosh and it bounces off him for an INT? I get that that play you like a taller WR, so since we don't have an experienced tall WR...you don't run it. Plain and simple. It's not like Foster was a check down, it was the play called"

do you think it was possible that nassib checked into the play,after all,i have heard that nassib has a total grasp on the offensive scheme.

he had happy feet today

That's always possible. But why would Foster even be in the game then? You like a tall receiver for that play since you are throwing it right over the OL and DL quickly and won't really see a shorter WR. Me thinks Foster was in because that was the play call. If not and Nassib called the play at the line, then why was Foster even needed in the game? Was Lemon or Chew or West hurt?

Didn't Baily have 124 yards rushing today. The running game is not poor, but how we utilize the running game is poor.

Didn't Baily have 124 yards rushing today. The running game is not poor, but how we utilize the running game is poor.

Yeah, it seems like they zig when they should zag kind of a thing. I really wanted Bailey to keep running the ball down their throats when we had them on their heels but threw an interception instead. I still feel Bailey misses holes and fumbles too much but he's solid, we need a #2 to step up especially with Gully hurt.

Hopefully no more talk about "smashmouth" football after the performance on the goal line today. Both the ridiculous slant pass and the failure to even attempt to gain a foot on fourth down are a coach's indictment of the OL, an alleged "strength" of this year's team. BTW, anyone realize we could just as easily be 1-4 right now: Wake outplayed us until their QB went down, and of course last week was a gift. Rutgers owned both lines as reflected in yards and TOP. Note also they had a touchdown called back, just like Toledo. And while the D played hard today, and had to play too much because of the weak offense, they too often can't get off the field on 3rd down, or commit a stupid penalty to keep drives alive, or help lose field position. I think too many alums (like me) want DM to succeed so much, we tend to overlook the poor preparation, bad execution, lack of adjustments, fire-drill confusion (burning TOs) and mental errors. Unfortunately today, in a day of errors, we made the last one.

The only thing bad about the running game today was Ant's handle on the ball. Otherwise, I've seen much worse from us.

The thing that really bothers me is that we didn't even try a QB sneak. 4th and inches and you can't draw up a sneak play? I'm with Bees on that one. Go for the damn 1st down. IMHO we lost that game on the 1st and goal call that resulted in the INT. That was our best chance to ice the game and we over thought play. Our offense looked timid from the word "go" today. That is coaching. I think our staff put a tremendous amount of pressure on the kids this week to win this game, and it showed in Nassib's play. The Defense showed up and played beyond what many of us probably expected. The offense just plain stunk up the field.

One thing I have to say, simply because it was so blatantly obvious, is how can the refs miss so many pass interference plays? The Rutgers D was jumping our short slants every time. The one guy who was called for interference in the OT session had at least two other plays in regulation where his hands were on our guy before the ball got there. He was all over Chew.

We went from a potential SC highlight reel game with Davis's hit, to probably the most embarrassing game of the day. 9 combined TO's, missed FG's, blocked kicks. UGLY UGLY LOSS.

And did Shady start crying during the OT celebration before the review? It sure looked like it. I think we can say that he didn't want to lose to Marrone again and was more relieved and surprised that they won.

2. Up 10 and they are punting from their end zone with Rene standing at the 50 for the return. THAT IS WHEN YOU PUT ON THE RETURN! Down 10, fine go after the punt. But you are ahead and how many times do we block punts? The coaches put Wilkes in the position to fail, plain and simple.

Doug did hold himself accountable for this at his presser. He didn't fess up to the other things ... but this may have been the biggest boneheaded move. The other moves you can make a case (even if it's a shitty one) but this one really has no argument.

Honestly can you blame the coaches for 3 blocks in a row?

One block is on the players, three is on the coaches. It indicates a flaw in technique and/or scheme that is being exploited--continually.

The only thing I disagree with is the FG in OT. You have to take the points.

If they don't pick-up the first down everyone on this board would be ripping Marrone for not taking the 3 points and giving the game to Rutgers.

Agree with Bees that it was beyond stupid to pass on first and goal from the five, and even stupider to put on the punt block from their own 10 yeard line. We were playing like we were behind. When you're up ten, keep adding to the lead where you can, get and keep the ball. You're going to get great field position, the only thing that can screw it up is roughing the kicker. So don't put the block on. On first and goal from the five, you can run it aty least once and still have that slant play available later in the series. Why not run some clock?

Disagree on 4th down in OT. You have to kick it. One of the reasons why it makes sense to go for it on 4th down from the 1 is that if you don't make it the other team has horrible field position. Not true in OT. Also, when you're going first in OT, getting a TD really isn't all that valuable. When the other team has four downs every series, it's not really that hard to score a TD. So you have to take the points so Rutgers doesn;t run into the line three times and kick.

The only thing I disagree with is the FG in OT. You have to take the points.

If they don't pick-up the first down everyone on this board would be ripping Marrone for not taking the 3 points and giving the game to Rutgers.

If it was a long 1 yard, then I would agree with you. Take the points. But it was literally a foot. I feel like a QB sneak gets that foot 80-85% of the time.

And you're completely right about the Marrone second-guessing if it doesn't work.

Our last 3 kicks were blocked (or close to it) including an extra point. You have a defense that is being held together with duct tape and bubblegum and has played the majority of the game (playing hard too) ... I think you have to go for the TD. They could have blocked the kick or scored a TD and no one would have been surprised.

One thing I have to ask is, Wilkes looked like he barely touched the punter (Yes, I agree they shouldn't have went for the block) did they change the rule regarding roughing the kicker? I thought it should have been a 5 yard penalty not 15.

One thing I have to ask is, Wilkes looked like he barely touched the punter (Yes, I agree they shouldn't have went for the block) did they change the rule regarding roughing the kicker? I thought it should have been a 5 yard penalty not 15.

Yea, the call was BS. Like you said, unless there isn't a running into the kicker rule, that certainly wasn't roughing the kicker. He barely got touched and then did a dookie. That call and the non-PI call at the rutgers 20 were pure BS. But you can't complain about refs when you piss away a 100 chances and your coaches have brain farts.

I agree, the refs were the least of our problems today but they did make some interesting calls against both teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom