With Kansas and Michigan State dropping these games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With Kansas and Michigan State dropping these games

dit: Our two advantages in MSG are 1) Playing in MSG and 2) Our zone, we lose a little bit of both of those playing Cincy and Nova teams used to playing our zone and at MSG.

Our offense is fantastic. Better than our D. Maybe the zone helps us playing teams we don't know, then again, maybe it doesn't. It's not like we have a history of outperforming our seed, do we?

UVA was really bad OOC though. Not just the 35 point loss at Tennessee, they lost at home to Wisconsin and VCU, who are good, but not great teams. They also lost @Green Bay. They did beat SMU on a neutral, which is looking more and more like a solid win, but no other top 100 Pomeroy wins.

If they win the league by a game or something over us, it's gonna be tough for them to have a better resume than we do, because we are miles ahead OOC. Unless UVA runs the table, I think they finish with a 3.

I'm not suggesting that UVA deserves a 1, even if they ran the table. Although, their season would somewhat resemble Miami's season from last year where they had a couple ugly losses OOC to FGCU and Indiana State.

Kansas ain't getting a 1 seed. Looks like Embiid might be out awhile with a sprained knee and bad back.

They looked like the JV last night, overrated at #7. Can't shoot, can't defend, PG by committee, and Wiggins is a talent, but needs to be set up. They have no one to do that. The amazing thing is they still lead the Big 12, so if they hold off TX, Ok St, K St, and Baylor, they should earn a 2 seed, but that team is flawed.

The BE was the best conference that year, however, and it's hard to say our resume would be better than UVA's if they outright won the regular season, a feat which would probably necessitate a H2H win.

The committee has more challeging decisions this year and any I can recall, and their efforts to stay consistent with precedent (body of work, rewarding SOS, rewarding top-conferences, etc...) will surely be challenged.

Thus far, WSU and SDSU have the body of work, but not the SOS. The winners of the Big 12 and Big 10, the consensus best leagues, might be punished for playing in such a league. It's all very bizarre this go around.

I very much agree with paragraph 2 and 3. The 1 seed discussion is interesting this year, because there are two top conferences that are beating up on each other (Big 10 and Big 12), and teams with great records (and a few nice wins to jusify they are good), but a lack of quantity of quality victories. We basically have two Gonzaga type teams this year with Wichita St (probably a worse resume) and San Diego St (the MwC being down). The other contenders are from good but not great conferences (Nova, Florida, Syracuse). It's an odd mix.

I totally disagree with the importance of winning any ACC title.
1) Committee has been clear its all about individual games. Assessing the individual quality of your W's vs L's. A game in November is worth as much as a conference title game in March. There is no more "last 10" metric that emphasizes conference perfromance
2) Conference standings and titles are irrelevant within this framework - a game is a game. Of course if you win either, its going to give you a lot of good W's to help you (but the title in itself will not help or hurt you) A part of it is due to imbalanced schedules.

Virginia really gets hurt by this. Great wins in the ACC, are offset by the losses in OOC. Virginia can be 16-2, and we can be 15-3, and Virginia can win the ACC title, and they are still not close to having a better seed than us.

One of the worst case scenarios for us at this point is 4 losses (3+1 in ACC tournament). The bigger threat is if Duke only loses one more and wins the ACC. With 6 losses,

The BE was the best conference that year, however, and it's hard to say our resume would be better than UVA's if they outright won the regular season, a feat which would probably necessitate a H2H win.

I was responding to this, I think it will be tough for UVA to have a better resume than us.

I think Kansas would be a good match-up for us, I think the zone would give them trouble because they lack a good PG and don't shoot the 3 well. Until Michigan State can put their A team on the court they do not scare me.

Edit: Our two advantages in MSG are 1) Playing in MSG and 2) Our zone, we lose a little bit of both of those playing Cincy and Nova teams used to playing our zone and at MSG.

Count me in the group who wants no part of a fully healthy MSU. They've spent the majority of their season with a less than full roster. At full strength, I think they're our biggest challenger. In my humble opinion, SU, MSU (at full strength), Arizona (even without Ashley) and Duke are the 4 best teams in the country.

Last edited:
duke is a threat to overtake us for a 1 if we stumble down the stretch. no way virginia can get a higher seed than us.

Count me in the group who wants no part of a fully healthy MSU. They've spent the majority of their season with a less than full roster. At full strength, I think they're our biggest challenger. In my humble opinion, SU, MSU (at full strength), Arizona (even without Ashley) and Duke are the 4 best teams in the country.
My point is that it isn't like one guy has missed some time 4 of their top 5 have missed time, and one guy gets back and another it out, so I am just saying until they play 3-4 games at full strength they do not scare me

My point is that it isn't like one guy has missed some time 4 of their top 5 have missed time, and one guy gets back and another it out, so I am just saying until they play 3-4 games at full strength they do not scare me

I'm with you on that. You said until they can put their A team on the court, they don't scare you. I completely agree. If they're missing Appling, or Dawson or Payne, etc etc...they don't strike nearly as much fear into me either. But with all those guys healthy, I see them as a top 3 team and legit national title contender.

duke is a threat to overtake us for a 1 if we stumble down the stretch. no way virginia can get a higher seed than us.
Duke has no shot at 1 seed barring them running the table and SU falling apart. They already have 3 conference losses and only good non-conference wins against Michigan and UCLA. If SU finishes 15-3 we are a lock to finish as a 1 seed barring an injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom