With news about the fact Cleveland tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh. Marrone-NYG possible | Syracusefan.com

With news about the fact Cleveland tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh. Marrone-NYG possible

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-haslam-confirms-team-went-after-jim-harbaugh

Means Doug Marrone could be the next NY Giants coach if the NYG wanted to give compensate to Buffalo. Harbaugh was never going to take the Browns job and coach against his brother 2 times a year in the same division. However, people we saying on here Marrone's dream job of dream jobs is the NY Giants head coaching job. Tom Coughlin signed a 1 year extension just so the media wouldn't ask all season long if he was a lame duck coach. If Marrone gets Buffalo into the playoffs next year and Coughlin retires does anyone think the Giants would give up a 2nd round or 1st round pick for Doug Marrone?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-haslam-confirms-team-went-after-jim-harbaugh

Means Doug Marrone could be the next NY Giants coach if the NYG wanted to give compensate to Buffalo. Harbaugh was never going to take the Browns job and coach against his brother 2 times a year in the same division. However, people we saying on here Marrone's dream job of dream jobs is the NY Giants head coaching job. Tom Coughlin signed a 1 year extension just so the media wouldn't ask all season long if he was a lame duck coach. If Marrone gets Buffalo into the playoffs next year and Coughlin retires does anyone think the Giants would give up a 2nd round or 1st round pick for Doug Marrone?

Absolutely hell no. You have a better chance of me rooting for than this happening

Marrone is a very good football coach. As a huge NYG fan, I hope Coughlin sticks around forever, but would be perfectly fine with Marrone being his successor.

Continue the Syr/NYG pipeline...

The Giants HC position is a destination job. They could have their pick of just about anyone they wanted. And I don't think they would want a 6-10 HCDM.

The Giants HC position is a destination job. They could have their pick of just about anyone they wanted. And I don't think they would want a 6-10 HCDM.
That's exactly what they hired, when they hired Coughlin. 7-9, 6-10, 6-10 in his last three seasons in Jacksonville.

That's exactly what they hired, when they hired Coughlin. 7-9, 6-10, 6-10 in his last three seasons in Jacksonville.
Call me when HCDM makes an appearance in the conference championship game. Coaching an expansion team.

Doug is a good coach.

But he's not Lombardi.

Why the hell would the Giants do that? WHY?!

NYG has always been Marrone's dream job...nothing wrong with that at all.

...However, people we saying on here Marrone's dream job of dream jobs is the NY Giants head coaching job...

I'd like to call a moratorium on using the term "dream job" in any sentence that also mentions "Doug Marrone."

Seems only appropriate being as this is a Syracuse football board.

Call me when HCDM makes an appearance in the conference championship game. Coaching an expansion team.
So three consecutive losing seasons is completely negated by one lucky run? Stop. It's not like the Giants have a stellar history of hiring can't miss head coaches. After Parcells, they went with retread Dan Reeves, then two guys with no prior head coaching experience, Handley and Fassel. Coughlin was an inch away from a player mutiny before he was smart enough to adapt and save his job. Even with that, it's not like the Giants have been dominant under him. They've had one 12 win season and, aside from that, have never won more than 10 games. They are a top tier NFL team, but don't make it sound as if they can just call whoever they want and make an offer they can't refuse.

It's all just speculation. None of us could possibly predict what will happen with these jobs over the next decade. I mean, who would have predicted that Shady would get hired by Tampa Bay?

If this was in Dougs original binder color me impressed. Get HC job at SU. Go to the Bills and then have the Giants trade a pick for me to be their HC.

So three consecutive losing seasons is completely negated by one lucky run? Stop. It's not like the Giants have a stellar history of hiring can't miss head coaches. After Parcells, they went with retread Dan Reeves, then two guys with no prior head coaching experience, Handley and Fassel. Coughlin was an inch away from a player mutiny before he was smart enough to adapt and save his job. Even with that, it's not like the Giants have been dominant under him. They've had one 12 win season and, aside from that, have never won more than 10 games. They are a top tier NFL team, but don't make it sound as if they can just call whoever they want and make an offer they can't refuse.
The point was, in case you missed it, that there is an entire body of work with Coughlin. And he has proven he can coach - or are you willing to dispute that?

Jury is still out on HCDM, wouldn't you say?

Oh, and by the way - they are the New York Football Giants. They CAN pretty much call anyone they want and make an offer they can't refuse.

The point was, in case you missed it, that there is an entire body of work with Coughlin. And he has proven he can coach - or are you willing to dispute that?

Oh, and by the way - they are the New York Football Giants. They CAN pretty much call anyone they want and make an offer they can't refuse.

Absolutely. The line to coach this team when Coughlin steps down is out the door and around the corner

Absolutely. The line to coach this team when Coughlin steps down is out the door and around the corner
yep.

and its my dream job too.

but im property of syracusefan.com...and i dont think if the Giants hire me they will trade Pat Hanlon here to make sure theres no hard feelings.

whos hacked alsacs computer???? swish, is that you???

I wasn't arguing only Coughlin, in case you missed it. My point was that the Giants have hired coaches with less of a body of work than Coughlin. You said the Giants were a "destination job," suggesting they could get whoever they wanted. I'm saying, based on past history, that may not be as true as you suggest.

Coughlin did have a larger body of work when the Giants hired him than Marrone has now, but it certainly wasn't a home run hire at the time. He had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons while in Jacksonville. If all of the losing seasons had been at the beginning, the resume would have been more impressive. The fact that 3 of them came after 4 winning seasons certainly left doubt about whether he was an NFL coach, at the time. It wasn't as if the Giants saw promise and stole him from Jacksonville. He was a guy given a pink slip that the Giants hired after their previous 3 hires failed.

Additionally, "body of work" is overrated. Mike Tomlin had no head coaching experience on any level and one year as a defensive coordinator prior to becoming the head coach at Pittsburgh. Bill Cowher had no head coaching experience and 3 years as a defensive coordinator before being hired by Pittsburgh. John Harbaugh had only been a position coach and special teams coordinator before being hired by Baltimore. Sean Payton had no head coaching experience before being hired by New Orleans. All of those have worked out pretty well for those teams.

I would say the jury is still out on Marrone at this point, just as it was on every other coach I've just mentioned, including Coughlin, at the time of their hiring.

yep.

and its my dream job too.

but im property of syracusefan.com...and i dont think if the Giants hire me they will trade Pat Hanlon here to make sure theres no hard feelings.

whos hacked alsacs computer???? swish, is that you???

We will trade you for a six pack of Genny Cream Ale and a Dome Dog.

here's my trade

the giants take the bills 2013 first round pick in exchange for the giants also taking doug marrone

I wasn't arguing only Coughlin, in case you missed it. My point was that the Giants have hired coaches with less of a body of work than Coughlin. You said the Giants were a "destination job," suggesting they could get whoever they wanted. I'm saying, based on past history, that may not be as true as you suggest.

Coughlin did have a larger body of work when the Giants hired him than Marrone has now, but it certainly wasn't a home run hire at the time. He had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons while in Jacksonville. If all of the losing seasons had been at the beginning, the resume would have been more impressive. The fact that 3 of them came after 4 winning seasons certainly left doubt about whether he was an NFL coach, at the time. It wasn't as if the Giants saw promise and stole him from Jacksonville. He was a guy given a pink slip that the Giants hired after their previous 3 hires failed.

Additionally, "body of work" is overrated. Mike Tomlin had no head coaching experience on any level and one year as a defensive coordinator prior to becoming the head coach at Pittsburgh. Bill Cowher had no head coaching experience and 3 years as a defensive coordinator before being hired by Pittsburgh. John Harbaugh had only been a position coach and special teams coordinator before being hired by Baltimore. Sean Payton had no head coaching experience before being hired by New Orleans. All of those have worked out pretty well for those teams.

I would say the jury is still out on Marrone at this point, just as it was on every other coach I've just mentioned, including Coughlin, at the time of their hiring.
2 afc championship games with an expansion team, in jacksonville of all places...thats a pretty impressive resume. sure he has the inevitable bad season fodder, but whatever.

plus, and heres the thing...he had already spent time in the organization and they like that.

you can go back close to 100 years and most guys have been insiders. hell, reeves was basically an insider, when Tom Landry over dinner tells Wellington hes the man to righten the ship, you hire him...and he put Simms back as starter and voilla...playoffs. then he was stuck with dave brown, but yeah he gave us tommy maddox too, ugh. ray perkins was hired by George Young, who was hired when Rozelle told Well that he had to hire him. Arnsbarger seemed like a good idea at the time.....and thats it.

1925-2014...3 coaches not in the organizationas a player or coach.

yeah, lets trade a draft pick to the fluckin bills to get marrone.

:rolling:

this is so comical i just had to post in this thread again.

Oh Lord