Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Dislike - but less than I did before the season

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Dislike/Hate as much as I did before the season

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
So as we finished our first 18 game season in the ACC, what are your thoughts on the ACC.

Like It

Dislike, but quite a bit less than I did before the season.

Hate it as much / nearly as much as I did before the season

I get the sense that while many still dislike the ACC, they don't hate it as much as before.

NOTE - For the purposes of this question, the fact that it was the best alternative should not be relevant. We had no choice but to go to the ACC. But are you happy or happier with the ACC now?

Last edited:
So as we finished our first 18 game season in the ACC, what are your thoughts on the ACC.

Like It

Dislike, but quite a bit less than I did before the season.

Hate it as much / nearly as much as I did before the season

I get the sense that while many still dislike the ACC, they don't hate it as much as before.

I love it - couldn't be happier. The only thing that I'm a little nostalgic about is not having the BET at the Garden, but it's a small price to pay for long-term conference security, particularly in football.

Men's & women's hoops comes to town next year, as well as the next closest venue, which is even better.

It's a strain for me with my Duke friends. My Carolina friends are much nicer! Seriously, it's awkward. I'm getting used to it, though. I guess.

It's a strain for me with my Duke friends. My Carolina friends are much nicer! Seriously, it's awkward. I'm getting used to it, though. I guess.

My Duke friends and I haven't spoken on gameday, or the next day. It was a mutual and smart decision.

Also there isn't much difference between watching clemson and providence at the dome I guess, and the best part of the ACC tournament is not having to worry about scheduling work around the games.

I love it - couldn't be happier. The only thing that I'm a little nostalgic about is not having the BET at the Garden, but it's a small price to pay for long-term conference security, particularly in football.
^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^

It was a great start It made the football season much more enjoyable, although at times painful. For basketball the big games were great, but we are really going to need the bottom schools to pick it up (i know i know BC, and GT are the bottom teams). The final standings ended up looking like it will in most years thanks to UNC coming on strong. The addition of Louisville will make the league even that more exciting. It's going to need it because there are some real slow down, grind you out style of coaches currently in charge. Bennett, Bronwell, Hamilton, Larrinaga, Dixon, Turgeon (thank god he's gone) are all coaches who made their money by having defensively sound programs. At least Pitino will give the league a shot in the arm when it comes to pace of play. The Cuse/Duke/UNC/Louisville/UVA games will carry the league, but it's going to need another program to emerge as a consistent contender, as well as another random 1 or 2 schools pop up each year.

I'm really liking being in the ACC. I even watched NC State-BC and didn't fall asleep.

I'm 25; so I wasn't really alive/remember most of the Cuse/GTown rivalry. I live in CT so the Cuse/UConn rivalry become special for me.

I'm already looking more forward to the Duke game(s) next year than I ever did for a Cuse-UConn game. UNC will be an awesome rivalry too. Can't forget Ville.

I haven't warmed up to the bottom half of hte conference yet; but I'm looking forward to seeing UVA, NC State, FSU, ND and Clemson on a yearly basis.

I'm about ready to say F the Big East.

Bottom Feeders are bottom feeders and top echelon is top echelon, regardless of league affiliation. The Big East had a fierce and rising middle class. The ACC has no middle class just an occasional upstart that has its year in the sun but nothing sustainable, no upward mobility. N Carolina and Duke have a lock on southern recruiting. The ACC will have 5 competitive teams per year, nothing more. No comparison to the old Beast when it comes to basketball.

I like it a lot. The fact of the matter is that these are the cards we've been dealt and in the big scheme of things they comprise a pretty decent hand.

On the other hand (pun intended) The Big East was the most incredible sporting experience of my lifetime. I feel blessed to have watched the formation, growth, and eventual disintegration of the league. I've shared here before how trips down to MSG to watch the BET were an annual right of passage and some of the most incredible games I've ever seen. When I moved to Florida in '93 I gave that up for the most part, along with going to Yankee Stadium on opening day.

But, memories of seeing Pearl, Sherm, DC, Billy Owens, Rony,Stevie, Moten, not to mention the greats on the opposing teams, Mullen, Berry, Ewing, Pinone... there were so many. Those were the days Baby!

It's different now... but there are many magical moments and great accomplishments and wonderful victories which will be carved out while we are members of the new "Greatest Basketball Conference on the Planet" The ACC.

LGO.. there's work to be done!

Overall I can't complain about the move. Although I do miss some of the big East rivalries which I have been following since the early 80's. However, if this Duke rivalry and a few others develop then it will be just as good.

On the bad side I was unable to get TV coverage for a lot of the games which wasn't really a problem in the past. Hopefully that will improve next year and beyond.

Don't like it any more than I did when the announcement was made, but I suppose that the move to the ACC was a necessary evil.

I'm with you. I am 100% behind the move to the ACC because it offered us stability and improved financial wherewithal.

But if year one demonstrated anything, its that those rednecks can't stand us. And personally speaking, the feeling is mutual.

Which is fine by me. I didn't like any of our Big East brethren, either. Kumbaya circles are overrated.

I think that the ACC is going to be great for us long term. And I look forward to forging new rivalries there. But the widespread vitriol spewed our way from the majority of ACC fanbases and media most of the year coupled with the thinly veiled screw job we got from the refs in certain circumstances doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
I'll watch the tourney but I wont be there. Greensboro, NC compared to NYC and too many teams I don't care about. Truth be told I can drum up little emotion for Pitt and ND and I love playing Duke and NC, but the rest of the league bores me.

I'll watch the tourney but I wont be there. Greensboro, NC compared to NYC and too many teams I don't care about. Truth be told I can drum up little emotion for Pitt and ND and I love playing Duke and NC, but the rest of the league bores me.

Bottom Feeders are bottom feeders and top echelon is top echelon, regardless of league affiliation. The Big East had a fierce and rising middle class. The ACC has no middle class just an occasional upstart that has its year in the sun but nothing sustainable, no upward mobility. N Carolina and Duke have a lock on southern recruiting. The ACC will have 5 competitive teams per year, nothing more. No comparison to the old Beast when it comes to basketball.

Agree with some, but not all of your points. The "middle class" of the ACC was definitely weak this year. The bottom few teams in most major conferences are pretty bad...that's not unique to the ACC.

Where I disagree is the only 5 competitive teams part. UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville & UVa should all be top 20 caliber for the foreseeable future. After that, Pitt should stay competitive, and I really feel like this year was an anomaly for Notre Dame because of the unexpected Grant suspension...Brey is a solid coach. That's 7 teams that should dance fairly consistently. I don't see FSU or NCSU reaching the elite level, but both recruit at a high enough level to be dangerous, and stay in the NCAA discussion into March just about every year. That's 3/5 of the league capable of beating anyone else on a given night. Both GTech & Wake have been factors in the ACC in the past, and could get right back there with coaching upgrades...same could be said for BC.

Also, re: southern recruiting, that's not really UNC & Duke's bread-and-butter. They're both national brands who pull from all over the country...Paige is from Iowa, Parker is from Chicago, both have done well in the D.C. metro area. UVa is the same way...we don't have a single starter from VA. If I had to identify a couple of ACC programs that do a good job in their geographic area, it would probably be NCSU & GTech more than the top tier programs.

Agree with some, but not all of your points. The "middle class" of the ACC was definitely weak this year. The bottom few teams in most major conferences are pretty bad...that's not unique to the ACC.

Where I disagree is the only 5 competitive teams part. UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville & UVa should all be top 20 caliber for the foreseeable future. After that, Pitt should stay competitive, and I really feel like this year was an anomaly for Notre Dame because of the unexpected Grant suspension...Brey is a solid coach. That's 7 teams that should dance fairly consistently. I don't see FSU or NCSU reaching the elite level, but both recruit at a high enough level to be dangerous, and stay in the NCAA discussion into March just about every year. That's 3/5 of the league capable of beating anyone else on a given night. Both GTech & Wake have been factors in the ACC in the past, and could get right back there with coaching upgrades...same could be said for BC.

Also, re: southern recruiting, that's not really UNC & Duke's bread-and-butter. They're both national brands who pull from all over the country...Paige is from Iowa, Parker is from Chicago, both have done well in the D.C. metro area. UVa is the same way...we don't have a single starter from VA. If I had to identify a couple of ACC programs that do a good job in their geographic area, it would probably be NCSU & GTech more than the top tier programs.

You have a very talented coach and he has worked miracles, but you are going up against entrenched big time recruiting machines. You will fall back to the pack next year, not unlike Miami who is also well coached. The perennial future big 4 are obvious. The fifth will be the well coached team with senior leadership and by definition it will vary from year to year.

It is true that Duke and NC recruit nationally but when there is elite local talent, it is highly probable that he will be Duke or NC bound. The old Big East had an impressive middle class with a number of consistently dangerous teams. A consistently dangerous ACC middle class is just wishful thinking. I wish it to come to pass but I will not hold my breadth.

The way to tell if a team has staying power is to look at its ability to reload. Duke, NC, Cuse and the Ville lose talent every year but they also bring in a loaded class every year. A team like Miami melds a powerful team through good coaching, upper class leadership and a star that flew under the radar. They rebuild over time but they cannot reload. They cannot replace an NBA lottery pick with yet another NBA lottery pick. Only four ACC teams (counting the Ville) are able to do that.

Last edited:
Through my football eyes I love it! As for bball. OK it is good but will take me a bit to come around to like it. Just too many Big East memories right now, esp this time of year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom