With this current roster what is the light at the end of the tunnel the next 2-3 years? | Syracusefan.com

With this current roster what is the light at the end of the tunnel the next 2-3 years?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Is this a team that if nobody leaves next year is a top 4 ACC level team?
If it’s not then the fact we are really young doesn’t matter.
Very few if any P5 teams keep their entire starting 5 in college basketball over 2 years.

I think they will get better as a team but I have my doubts that top 4 would be possible unless Edwards becomes an absolute monster or we recruit better players over most of them.

Feels like you are asking variations on the same underlying questions. Might be time to give yourself a break from the hoops forum. Trust me, it does wonders.
I am wrong or being unfair?

I think the tide is starting to click with our fanbase. You and I have been beating this point with others. I just think the more its discussed the more people are comfortable with saying the truth.
I think you are correct, but at least ask the same question in the title as you do in the post itself. You ask about the next 2-3 years in your title, but then focus on next year in the post.

Can we be top 4? I doubt it. We aren't going to be better than UNC, Duke, UVA, or Louisville in my opinion this year or next. I don't know who we will actually have on our team next year, so tough to say what our squad will look like in the first place. I really hope Carey stays to push the guards and give us at least one guy who plays decent defense.

I think you are correct, but at least ask the same question in the title as you do in the post itself. You ask about the next 2-3 years in your title, but then focus on next year in the post.

Can we be top 4? I doubt it. We aren't going to be better than UNC, Duke, UVA, or Louisville in my opinion this year or next. I don't know who we will actually have on our team next year, so tough to say what our squad will look like in the first place. I really hope Carey stays to push the guards and give us at least one guy who plays decent defense.
Louisville maybe depending on if and and when they get hit with their additional penalties. But that could be five years down the road before those even start to make a difference. Curious to see what Duke looks like after K retires - which could be any season in the next five. UNC also may have a hiccup or two when Ol' Roy hangs up his spurs. UVA is positioned well for the foreseeable future with a stingy defense that doesn't require any special body type or playing guys out of position.

If this roster can’t become top 4 in the next 2 years then people need to stop with the sanctions excuses and realize Jim Boeheim as good as he was is the problem with the program right now.

The coach shouldn’t be bigger than the program. We mock Joe Paterno but the parallels with him get closer and closer without the garbage of Jerry Sandusky being involved.

Since you are speaking about the current roster, is there any chance that JB frees up a scholarship to bring someone else on board next year. I still don't understand why they gave Buddy a scholarship when he would get a free ride anyway. Why not play with the grad transfer portal?

The light at the end of the tunnel is a train that is coming at us at about 150 miles per hour. The next few year are not going to be pleasant for SU hoops fans. It is what it is. JB built the program and goes out his way, question is how it impacts program down the road. AD better be as good as most here tout.

Since you are speaking about the current roster, is there any chance that JB frees up a scholarship to bring someone else on board next year. I still don't understand why they gave Buddy a scholarship when he would get a free ride anyway. Why not play with the grad transfer portal?

Buddy getting a free ride
03-banghead.gif
03-rotfl.gif
03-lmfao.gif

I called that before he committed, IIRC. It's a pride thing and to show that he deserves to play at the D1 level. McDermott for Creighton did the same thing. He only gave up his scholarship his senior year. Same as the Gonzaga offer (despite Few knowing 100% that Buddy wasn't playing anywhere other than SU).

Buddy wouldn’t get a free ride. He’d still have to pay about $20k+. Yea, JB can afford it but that’s $80k+ over the four years.

Buddy wouldn’t get a free ride. He’d still have to pay about $20k+. Yea, JB can afford it but that’s $80k+ over the four years.
So Syracuse pays JB a 100k retention bonus the next 4 years.
That solves everything. Coaches salaries aren’t governed by the NCAA this is something that could easily be done if we wanted too.

Room and board? Just curious because I'm not sure.

Buddy getting a free ride
03-banghead.gif
03-rotfl.gif
03-lmfao.gif
My bad. Looks like JB would have to pay about 10% of the tuition if he applied for a waiver.

Syracuse University Tuition Waiver Program
An Eligible Dependent who is matriculated and enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Syracuse University may apply to receive a tuition waiver. The tuition waiver can only be applied to the minimum number of credit hours required for completion of the first baccalaureate degree. The value of the tuition waiver for Academic Year 2019-20 is:
    • Qualified dependents of employees with annual salaries up to $58,869* will receive a full tuition waiver.
    • Qualified dependents of employees with annual salaries between $58,869* and $117,740* will receive a 95 percent tuition waiver.
    • Qualified dependents of employees with salaries of $117,740* or above will receive a 90 percent tuition waiver.

He wouldn’t get a free ride. Tuition is not totally free. It’s on a sliding scale and he still would have to pay to live on campus and he would lose his cost of allowance and other stipends $4,700/month. I wouldn’t call it free if he’s off scholarship.

He wouldn’t get a free ride. Tuition is not totally free. It’s on a sliding scale and he still would have to pay to live on campus and he would lose his cost of allowance and other stipends $4,700/month. I wouldn’t call it free if he’s off scholarship.
Again while Buddy wouldn’t be “free” it’s not hard to pay JB a bonus that would cover whatever it would cost Buddy plus a couple extra thousand dollars for JB to get this done.
Buddy doesn’t need to be on scholarship if the staff can add another quality player.
Not as a knock on Buddy but to help the program get an extra player.
Both sides we would win in that scenario.

At the end of the day, it dosen't matter if Buddy is on scholarship or not. He's a capable-enough D1 guard, there's a lot of fluff/projects on this roster, and Syracuse has a talent recruiting and retention problem - not scholarship number problem.

Again while Buddy wouldn’t be “free” it’s not hard to pay JB a bonus that would cover whatever it would cost Buddy plus a couple extra thousand dollars for JB to get this done.
Buddy doesn’t need to be on scholarship if the staff can add another quality player.
Not as a knock on Buddy but to help the program get an extra player.
Both sides we would win in that scenario.

yea, that’s not going to happen. Why should the university be on the hook to manage the basketball roster.

yea, that’s not going to happen. Why should the university be on the hook to manage the basketball roster.
It’s not the university it would be the AD paying JB a bonus.
JB would be paying the costs for Buddy to attend the university.

Whatever college at SU buddy attends would be making out. As that college would be getting the costs from JB for Buddy to attend.
The Athletic department would be paying JB a bonus for just being the coach on April 1st or something easy to add to his contract to cover the costs for his son to be a walk-on.
Easy to do.

It’s not the university it would be the AD paying JB a bonus.
JB would be paying the costs for Buddy to attend the university.

Whatever college at SU buddy attends would be making out. As that college would be getting the costs from JB for Buddy to attend.
The Athletic department would be paying JB a bonus for just being the coach on April 1st or something easy to add to his contract to cover the costs for his son to be a walk-on.
Easy to do.

can other university employees get a bonus to pay the remaining cost for their kids? It’s not going to happen.

Reactions: cto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom