Without Hop | Syracusefan.com

Without Hop

kcsu

Living Legend
Not having Hop is a huge loss for JB. They had been together for basically half of JBs coaching career. Jim adapted to losing Bernie but he was much younger. I really think that JB was a better coach with Hop at his side. Hop did so much for the program, so much for Jim that just cant be replicated or replaced.
Like losing a spouse you adjust but nothing is ever the same nothing is ever as balanced. Huge loss.

Not having Hop is a huge loss for JB. They had been together for basically half of JBs coaching career. Jim adapted to losing Bernie but he was much younger. I really think that JB was a better coach with Hop at his side. Hop did so much for the program, so much for Jim that just cant be replicated or replaced.
Like losing a spouse you adjust but nothing is ever the same nothing is ever as balanced. Huge loss.
Aw jeez Edith. Hop wasn't going to stay around forever and JAB wasn't going to leave. I think it's too early to pass judgment on this season. No one should be writing it off yet. Plus we have four pretty good recruits coming next year.

JB is a Hall of Famer. Its his program, and he should miss nobody. Good talent, bad talent, bad chemistry, whatever...coach them up, that is why you are in the HOF, and deservedly so. The great coaches make music no matter what the orchestra looks like.

2 losses and the "game has changed. we havent" "hop was a huge loss"

It isnt that difficult. On offense we are playing 1 on 1 iso ball and we are playing effortless basketball.

That has nothing to do with the game changing or hopkins at all. zero. zilch. nada.

Hop was a huge loss but Red, Griff and Gmac are a great staff
Only 1 of those 3 has a good resume. The other 2 we could probably get better upside if we had a national search. Another way of looking at it - if JB retired today and all 3 we’re looking for another job- where do you think they’d end up? Red is the only one who’s positioned himself for a head coaching gig - but more likely at a low-mid major to start out.

Only 1 of those 3 has a good resume. The other 2 we could probably get better upside if we had a national search. Another way of looking at it - if JB retired today and all 3 we’re looking for another job- where do you think they’d end up? Red is the only one who’s positioned himself for a head coaching gig - but more likely at a low-mid major to start out.
You’re wrong. Pretty much about everything but mainly this

Ummm.. How was Hop's resume when he started with us?

Because i can tell you for an absolute fact, that Griffs was much stronger when he started.

Because i can tell you for an absolute fact, that Griffs was much stronger when he started.

Thank you.

Fair point on Griff - he's only been here a couple years. But in comparing our current staff to recent past, how quickly we forget the impact that a dynamite recruiter like Weaver can make. Without Hop it just seems imperative to do a national search to fill that void.

Fair point on Griff - he's only been here a couple years. But in comparing our current staff to recent past, how quickly we forget the impact that a dynamite recruiter like Weaver can make. Without Hop it just seems imperative to do a national search to fill that void.

Our recruiting the last 2-3 years has been on absolute fire.

Seems to me that the recruiting has been pretty solid lately and if somehow we land Stewart than you could even say it has been spectacular.

Weaver has not been here since 2004.

In that time period we have won 27 games 6 times.

2 losses and the "game has changed. we havent" "hop was a huge loss"

It isnt that difficult. On offense we are playing 1 on 1 iso ball and we are playing effortless basketball.

That has nothing to do with the game changing or hopkins at all. zero. zilch. nada.

Boeheim is 73-74 right? The only thing i'd caution is assuming that your simple answer is the answer to what ails this team. Jim is a senior citizen now and how many guys in their mid 70s have been successful coaching a team as high profile as this? I think it's fair to say he's probably slowing down and Hopkins did pick up many things that were filed under "assistant work".

I'm not saying it's THE reason for the 2 losses but it's fair to try and piece together the issues

Boeheim is 73-74 right? The only thing i'd caution is assuming that your simple answer is the answer to what ails this team. Jim is a senior citizen now and how many guys in their mid 70s have been successful coaching a team as high profile as this? I think it's fair to say he's probably slowing down and Hopkins did pick up many things that were filed under "assistant work".

I'm not saying it's THE reason for the 2 losses but it's fair to try and piece together the issues
Oh come on.

The reason they got smoked in NYC has absolutely nothing to do with JBs age.

Absolutely NOTHING.

They lost because when JB put them in position to be successful, they missed shots and/or failed to hustle on D.

These stiffs need to realize they’re stiffs, stop reading their press and realize how hard they worked in the tourney last year.

They can’t just show up and win.

Because they’re stiffs.

There’s talent in there, but they have to want it to come out too.

Watching Griff on the bench in NYC he wasn't very vocal at all...maybe he's more in practice or in the locker room but he was pretty quiet sitting on the bench...

As a posted in another thread our coaching staff doesnt exhibit a lot of energy/excitement on the sidelines...

Our recruiting the last 2-3 years has been on absolute fire.
People forget that Bazley should be suiting up in orange right now and he was a highly rated recruit. Like you say, our recruiting is not broken.

Watching Griff on the bench in NYC he wasn't very vocal at all...maybe he's more in practice or in the locker room but he was pretty quiet sitting on the bench...

As a posted in another thread our coaching staff doesnt exhibit a lot of energy/excitement on the sidelines...

IMO, you don’t WANT all your assistants being vocal during games. Too many voices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom