WMU Game Thread | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

WMU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Pop Warner to Vince Lombardi NO and I mean NO coach doesn't kick the FG to go up 23pts with over 5 minutes left. NONE...except Dino. Really Stupid. And don't tell me it can't happen. You are wrong.

Not really stupid. Just unique and just as effective in my eyes. Either a team will be up 23 and their opponents get ball on 25 yard line with 5 minutes to go or a team is up 20 with opponents backed up on the 2 yard line with 5 minutes to go.

Both situations have their pluses and minuses. On one side it gives a team more cushion and you force the other team to convert 2 point conversions. But on other side you force them to kill more time on the clock by having to drive further. And at that point in game I think Babers just wanted the time to tick down rather than force other team to convert 2 pt conversions.

Especially considering the good that could have come from it as a TD or a Safety would have clinched the game.

Our defense was very good until Wake.

Is that what you call very good??? We haven't seen very good defense in a long time if thats what you thought... They were better. They were far from very good however. Even Bradshaw was getting lit up by Middle Tennessee at the beginning of last year. They were average at best... They just weren't horrendous like they we're at the end of the year

What game are you watching. There was plenty of separation between Butler and the ball when it was thrown to him. That must be what they meant.
Agreed. He dropped some slightly off target passes and Dungey missed him deep on a couple of throws. My only criticism of him.

Is that what you call very good??? We haven't seen very good defense in a long time if thats what you thought... They were better. They were far from very good however. Even Bradshaw was getting lit up by Middle Tennessee at the beginning of last year. They were average at best... They just weren't horrendous like they we're at the end of the year

How was it against Clemson, Miami, Pitt, LSU and FSU?

How was it against Clemson, Miami, Pitt, LSU and FSU?

Not good... It was good against Clemson but that's about it.

But against Miami, Rosier passed for 344 yards 2 TDs and 0 INT on our DBs and their RB averaged 4.8 yards a carry and had a 95 yard game.

Pitt sucked last year and had a guy average 10 yards a carry on our defense. Should have been a much easier win than it was

LSU they played ok... Still gave up big plays but I wouldn't consider giving up 263 yards passing and 151 yards good.

FSU had a guy run for 199 yards on our defense... That's not good. That is pretty terrible.

Of the games you mentioned where our defense supposedly looked good they gave up yardage totals of 343, 480, 358, 414, and 317. So in games our defense looked "good" we gave up an average of 28 points and 382 yards. With those averages alone our defense would have ranked 53rd in yards given up and 68th in point given up. And that's supposedly when our defense is good. Like I said they were better but they were far from good.

Not good... It was good against Clemson but that's about it.

But against Miami, Rosier passed for 344 yards 2 TDs and 0 INT on our DBs and their RB averaged 4.8 yards a carry and had a 95 yard game.

Pitt sucked last year and had a guy average 10 yards a carry on our defense. Should have been a much easier win than it was

LSU they played ok... Still gave up big plays but I wouldn't consider giving up 263 yards passing and 151 yards good.

FSU had a guy run for 199 yards on our defense... That's not good. That is pretty terrible.

Of the games you mentioned where our defense supposedly looked good they gave up yardage totals of 343, 480, 358, 414, and 317. So in games our defense looked "good" we gave up an average of 28 points and 382 yards. With those averages alone our defense would have ranked 53rd in yards given up and 68th in point given up. And that's supposedly when our defense is good. Like I said they were better but they were far from good.

It’s not 1980, 382 yards and 28 points really isn’t that much.

Just rewatched the game.
Bearing in mind we are notoriously poor in our first game, there was more to like than not.

Makes no sense to worry about Dungey being the running game at this point. He simply took advantage of what was there and kept doing it until they stopped him - which they never did (what a stiff arm!).
The OLine was moving people - even on the goal line! If that doesn't warm your heart nothing will.

Whoever was wearing Jamal's number had a great game. Hope he shows up again.

Moe Neal is going to shine behind this line.

If we had thrown 35 passes we would have found out what we really have with receivers. This was a running game with a few long bombs. Not time to panic about the passing game.

Dungey put us in the right play virtually every down. Can't overestimate the importance of that.

Devito can spin it, is elusive and very fast. I feel good about him.
Babers knows he is the future and we are going to see a lot of him this year.

We all know the defense is a problem and that probably will be the case all year. Just have to hope for a sharp learning curve.

I will say that at some point there has to be accountability for the defense. Change the scheme or change the schemer. We'll see what the rest of the season brings but last in the ACC in most defensive categories is what is holding the program back.

The only question that was answered was the OLine. Everything else is still a quandary. That said, that is big and I'll settle for it after one game.

Jeez...

We now know just how delicate it is to play young talent, no matter how decorated they are college or pro. A bad, premature start can kill confidence and derail a career. Very few kids are ready at a young age to take over a P5 offense and let's hope DINO learned that.

We now know just how delicate it is to play young talent, no matter how decorated they are college or pro. A bad, premature start can kill confidence and derail a career. Very few kids are ready at a young age to take over a P5 offense and let's hope DINO learned that.

Jeez. I don’t think anything happened that’s going to kill confidence and derail a career. It killed our momentum in that game. But that’s as deep as it goes as far as I’m concerned.

Reason #1,463,108 why I don’t believe any talent evaluation I read on this board.

People can moan and groan about the talent and getting dinos recruits in, but maybe this is year people realize its the defensive scheme. It isn't the arrows or the Indians, its the chief (of the D).

Jeez. I don’t think anything happened that’s going to kill confidence and derail a career. It killed our momentum in that game. But that’s as deep as it goes as far as I’m concerned.

True, i agree, what i referenced is more applicable and delicate at the pro level.

Just rewatched the game.
Bearing in mind we are notoriously poor in our first game, there was more to like than not.

Makes no sense to worry about Dungey being the running game at this point. He simply took advantage of what was there and kept doing it until they stopped him - which they never did (what a stiff arm!).
The OLine was moving people - even on the goal line! If that doesn't warm your heart nothing will.

Whoever was wearing Jamal's number had a great game. Hope he shows up again.

Moe Neal is going to shine behind this line.

If we had thrown 35 passes we would have found out what we really have with receivers. This was a running game with a few long bombs. Not time to panic about the passing game.

Dungey put us in the right play virtually every down. Can't overestimate the importance of that.

Devito can spin it, is elusive and very fast. I feel good about him.
Babers knows he is the future and we are going to see a lot of him this year.

We all know the defense is a problem and that probably will be the case all year. Just have to hope for a sharp learning curve.

I will say that at some point there has to be accountability for the defense. Change the scheme or change the schemer. We'll see what the rest of the season brings but last in the ACC in most defensive categories is what is holding the program back.

The only question that was answered was the OLine. Everything else is still a quandary. That said, that is big and I'll settle for it after one game.

Agree with most of your post, but see alot of TD? Not sure how that happens, well I do know how that happens. It happens if we are 9-3 or 3-9, if we get huge leads at ht or are getting beat by 30 at ht. After wagner, every week is gonna be a dog fight. Thus, i hope we dont see TD much after Wagner. Hopefully Dino learned his lesson on Friday night with his premature hook with ED.

Dungey aside at what point do we put Ward on notice, this performance is pitiful

I know, i get it, but so many apologists for him. Been leaning on the dino talent argument for years, not gonna fly this year. For all that made fun of lesters inept offenses while at cuse, his O lit us up for about 620.

The T2 isnt run in college for a reason. But, we keep jamming that square peg into a round hole. I like our defensive talent on the dline but our backers got schooled tonight and our secondary wasnt much better.

Agree with most of your post, but see alot of TD? Not sure how that happens, well I do know how that happens. It happens if we are 9-3 or 3-9, if we get huge leads at ht or are getting beat by 30 at ht. After wagner, every week is gonna be a dog fight. Thus, i hope we dont see TD much after Wagner. Hopefully Dino learned his lesson on Friday night with his premature hook with ED.

he was hurt.

As discussed all over this board, he wasnt hurt. I may have missed it, but did Dino elude to that post game?

You really think he would have needed an ice pack that big on his shoulder after throwing 17 passes?

You really think he would have needed an ice pack that big on his shoulder after throwing 17 passes?

It was prophylactic;) he may have been dinged and dino pulling him may have been a function of ED and his health hx, but as quick as he came back displayed it wasn't, shouldn't have been a game changer.

Yes, I do think we will see a lot of him. Unfortunately, Babers knows he has to have TD ready because ED probably won't play every game.

As discussed all over this board, he wasnt hurt. I may have missed it, but did Dino elude to that post game?

He was hurt. Watch the replay. Watch the look on his face coming off the field. Look at the post game picture. He was hurt.

It was prophylactic;) he may have been dinged and dino pulling him may have been a function of ED and his health hx, but as quick as he came back displayed it wasn't, shouldn't have been a game changer.

So not doing further injury is your explanation?

He was hurt. Watch the replay. What the look on his face coming off the field. Look at the post game picture. He was hurt.

I respectfully disagree, he was dumbfounded about being benched and he came back in 100%. There are many on the board who think promises were made to TD to get him here and that looks to be part of it.

It looked like what DINO thought was an opportunity to get TD playing time. He soon learned that wasnt the time. Dino is also learning about being a P5 coach before our eyes. ED is our guy and the injury thing is becoming obsessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom