Won’t be the most athletic team, but high IQ | Syracusefan.com

Won’t be the most athletic team, but high IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Looking at next year’s squad of Buddy, JGIII, Symir, Swider, Jesse, and probably Jimmy Jr, that group won’t be the most athletic bunch. Benny is really the only elite athlete. Possibly Frank if he returns. But we will probably have one of our highest bball IQ teams in JB’s era.

It will be a smart team, but I’m concerned about our ability defend and rebound. Hopefully we minimize turnovers and shoot the lights out all year.

Looking at next year’s squad of Buddy, JGIII, Symir, Swider, Jesse, and probably Jimmy Jr, that group won’t be the most athletic bunch. Benny is really the only elite athlete. Possibly Frank if he returns. But we will probably have one of our highest bball IQ teams in JB’s era.

It will be a smart team, but I’m concerned about our ability defend and rebound. Hopefully we minimize turnovers and shoot the lights out all year.
Our ability to create off the dribble and beat pressure D will be a major concern/issue. Having Swider, Buddy and another shooter on the court is great but if the PG can’t get them shots, it won’t be as successful as we hope.

I hate to say this but what makes it high IQ? I don’t think the players we returned made very high iq plays last year especially JG.

Cole played sparingly for Nova how do we know he’s really that high of an IQ player.

Ideally we finalize Jimmy Jr and then still pickup another underclassman Guard transfer to be fourth guard next year if AG leaves.

As of now

Girard / Symir
Buddy / Symir? / AG? / Newton?
Benny / AG? / Newton? / Swider
Q? /Swider / Jr / Benny / Frank
Jesse / Frank / Swider / Jr

Also - think this is sign Marek is moving on moreso than a Braswell replacement.

i think we will probably be better defensively next year than this. First, we will get more of a 7 footer in the middle.. and the size at the forward position will be bigger. 6'8, 6'8, 6'9 still the same problem at the guard position only without Kadary. that hurts.

What is going to make them such a high IQ team?
Hmmmm!

i think we will probably be better defensively next year than this. First, we will get more of a 7 footer in the middle.. and the size at the forward position will be bigger. 6'8, 6'8, 6'9 still the same problem at the guard position only without Kadary. that hurts.
The center will be huge for rebounding but massive concerns with our 3 pt shooting D. Bras was huge on getting out to guys with his length. We’ll see what the staff can whip up for his replacement on D.

The center will be huge for rebounding but massive concerns with our 3 pt shooting D. Bras was huge on getting out to guys with his length. We’ll see what the staff can whip up for his replacement on D.
Cole is pretty big. I agree Braswell did a very good job. What impressed me about him was whether it was o or d, he always seemed to be in the right place.

Cole is pretty big. I agree Braswell did a very good job. What impressed me about him was whether it was o or d, he always seemed to be in the right place.

not just about big though, I saw plenty from Nova fans that his D wasn’t up to par. Maybe he gets the zone down though, we’ve seen so so defenders be fantastic with understanding rotations.

Cole is fast enough to do ok and big enough to bang around. The advantage with Jesse is that the wings and guards don't have to collapse as much and thus the zone isn't chasing our opponent all over in the half court. The guy that could turn the tide is Woody. If he surprises and comes back then we don't need to go chase another athlete. With Frank it's the same- no need to go hunt down another 5.

The style of play and the building of the roster has been trending this way for several years, that is into a shooting team. It would seem like the architect of this would be GMac. It that a foreshadowing of the future?

Swider had a higher defensive rebounding percentage than Braswell last year and Swider played with elite rebounders. I don’t know how he will adjust to the zone but he’s a better rebounder than Braswell, period

We need Frank. According to the coaches he is one of the most athletic bigs we have had. Kid has enormous upside.

Is a hobbled Bras and Q greater than a fully healthy Swider and Benny on defense ? I don’t think so but maybe I am wrong. People keep talking like Bras and Q were running at full health all the time.

the team that is coming together is going to be about taking and making all the shots

defense optional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors