Wonder what Jim thinks about the NBA trying out the coaches challenge now | Syracusefan.com

Wonder what Jim thinks about the NBA trying out the coaches challenge now

20Plus

I asked him a few years ago about this exact topic and he was not in favor of it. I think it’s idiotic not to be in favor of it.

Would have been helpful in 2013 - the blown charge call against Triche vs. Michigan. And 2011 vs. Marquette (the Scoop backcourt violation).

I asked him a few years ago about this exact topic and he was not in favor of it. I think it’s idiotic not to be in favor of it.

Idiotic is probably a strong word. There is some legit reasons to be against it. One is they already review calls at the end of games. Two is it takes ridiculously long. Three is there is a level of fortuity in sports and subjectivity in all refereeing. While you may get one call against you, probability indicates you will get another in your favor. Four, it is difficult to decide what you can and cannot review. Take pass interference in the nfl for an example. An anaology for cbb is the block/charge calls, which admittedly I feel college refs are terrible at making and very inconsistent.

I realize there are counterarguments to all those points and I am not even taking a position on the issue, but simply stating that it may not be idiotic to be against coaches challenges.

The problem is you would challenge the call they would show the review and it would be obviously wrong but they wouldn’t change it because your playing Duke/UNC etc. no thanks. I would just be more enraged.

I think basketball should be reffed by the players, like playground ball. You foul a guy, you call it. You double dribble or travel, you give the other team the ball. If someone calls a ticky tack foul, you say, "really, you're going to call that?" And next time, you hammer him so there's no doubt.

I'm kidding... sort of.

Idiotic is probably a strong word. There is some legit reasons to be against it. One is they already review calls at the end of games. Two is it takes ridiculously long. Three is there is a level of fortuity in sports and subjectivity in all refereeing. While you may get one call against you, probability indicates you will get another in your favor. Four, it is difficult to decide what you can and cannot review. Take pass interference in the nfl for an example. An anaology for cbb is the block/charge calls, which admittedly I feel college refs are terrible at making and very inconsistent.

I realize there are counterarguments to all those points and I am not even taking a position on the issue, but simply stating that it may not be idiotic to be against coaches challenges.
Disagree there’s timeouts in the game that all enjoy if they challenge andthey’re wrong they lose a time out it should be close to a wash

Risk reward is obvious that’s why it needs to happen!

Disagree there’s timeouts in the game that all enjoy if they challenge andthey’re wrong they lose a time out it should be close to a wash

Risk reward is obvious that’s why it needs to happen!

Wait, what do you disagree with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom