Work travel gripe thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Work travel gripe thread

Not airports, but some sneaky great places I've had to visit for work multiple times that I wasn't all that excited about but ended up really enjoying:

Little Rock
Lexington, Kentuck-ah
Omaha

Not airports, but some sneaky great places I've had to visit for work multiple times that I wasn't all that excited about but ended up really enjoying:

Little Rock
Lexington, Kentuck-ah
Omaha

Lexington is a tiny spot of blue in a very very red state.

I also love horses and whiskey so a personal favorite spot for me

Little Rock
Lexington, Kentuck-ah
Omaha

Did Omaha and Lexington both and very much enjoyed both. Lexington was a blast. 2 day stay so didn't get to roam as much as I wished.

Also, if you haven't gotten that TSA pre-check, get on it. Best $85 I've ever spent.
Love it, but... My sister, brother and I were leaving FT. Myers. I had TSA pre, they did not. They got through at least 5 minutes before I did. An anomaly, but interesting.

Little Rock
Lexington, Kentuck-ah
Omaha
We did a weekend in Cincinnati. It was really great to

Love it, but... My sister, brother and I were leaving FT. Myers. I had TSA pre, they did not. They got through at least 5 minutes before I did. An anomaly, but interesting.

Haha! Did your brother and sister bust your balls about it?

My favorite kind of foul up happened this week. Was supposed to fly to Newark on Monday for a one night trip. Flights cancelled due to storms down that way, rebooked for Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning flight cancelled on Monday evening due to mechanical issues with the plane. Bagged the trip.

In addition, the return flight I was supposed to originally be on, which would have taken off at 4:45 on Tuesday, ended up getting delayed until after 9pm, then eventually cancelled as well. This trip was doomed from the start.

Ok, I have a new one. So the Salt Lake airport has grown considerably and isn't done yet. Used to be, you could pick up the parking lot shuttle easy peasy. Now, there's a line. The shuttle runs pretty quickly, so the line isn't a big deal. We're talking a delay of maybe 5 minutes.

But it's a big enough deal to a select few buttheads (that rest assured, I will see in Hell) that have started getting their bags, and then going down to the terminal drop off point and hopping onto the shuttle there, avoiding the line. Thus also jamming up the two terminal drop off points, slowing everybody else down, because they can't stand to just peacefully wait in line just a little bit. Hilariously enough, I'm not even convinced it ends up being any faster for them.

I'm considering applying to be a part time shuttle driver on the weekends so I can assuredly get fired after initating confrontations with these morons. Throwing them off the shuttle would be sooooo satisfying though.

Last edited:
My favorite kind of foul up happened this week. Was supposed to fly to Newark on Monday for a one night trip. Flights cancelled due to storms down that way, rebooked for Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning flight cancelled on Monday evening due to mechanical issues with the plane. Bagged the trip.

In addition, the return flight I was supposed to originally be on, which would have taken off at 4:45 on Tuesday, ended up getting delayed until after 9pm, then eventually cancelled as well. This trip was doomed from the start.

And, as a follow-up to this one, of course I'm being hit with charges from the two hotels we cancelled, the rental car company, and the second airline ticket that I ended up not using. Lovely.

And, as a follow-up to this one, of course I'm being hit with charges from the two hotels we cancelled, the rental car company, and the second airline ticket that I ended up not using. Lovely.
Which reminds me of the Hampton Inn on Erie Blvd which is a place that I normally don't stay. I was undecided whether to come out for a game but I booked a room the morning of the game just in case. A couple hours after I made the reservation, I decided the weather was going to be too nasty so I called up and cancelled. They told me that they still needed to charge me for the room because I didn't give 24 hours notice. I told them that I just made the reservation two hours earlier and that most places give you until 4 pm or whatever to cancel your room.

They weren't going to bend their rules and I went head to head with them and called their boss the next morning (who BTW, never called me back) but they never ended up charging me for the room.

Let's have it. The worst of the worst.

Currently sitting in O'Hare right next to the f4f-3. Been here since 11:30 this morning. I hate this airport, especially in the summer. Line of thunderstorms that didn't actually hit us threw the entire day into a tailspin. I may...make it to Knoxville tonight, but it won't be until 1:30 AM.

Dealing with with something like this at OHare right now. Hopefully only delayed a few hours though. Travelling for leisure to San Diego. German for “whale’s vagina.”

Which reminds me of the Hampton Inn on Erie Blvd which is a place that I normally don't stay. I was undecided whether to come out for a game but I booked a room the morning of the game just in case. A couple hours after I made the reservation, I decided the weather was going to be too nasty so I called up and cancelled. They told me that they still needed to charge me for the room because I didn't give 24 hours notice. I told them that I just made the reservation two hours earlier and that most places give you until 4 pm or whatever to cancel your room.

They weren't going to bend their rules and I went head to head with them and called their boss the next morning (who BTW, never called me back) but they never ended up charging me for the room.

By the way, complained to United and they are throwing me an Electronic Travel Certificate. Not totally sure what that looks like, but I recommend everyone do that in the future. Say you were forced to miss an important meeting and incurred non-refundable hotel charges. Took about 3 weeks but they came through.

By the way, complained to United and they are throwing me an Electronic Travel Certificate. Not totally sure what that looks like, but I recommend everyone do that in the future. Say you were forced to miss an important meeting and incurred non-refundable hotel charges. Took about 3 weeks but they came through.
It's definitely worth it. We recently had our luggage delayed a day, so we had to buy some stuff. American sent us a check for $70. It really should have been more but I looked at it as free money. I bought a pair of shorts and a t shirt and my wife the same. Basically we got them for free.

Just a heads up for anyone traveling through DIA. They started a $1.5 billion renovation that will last 3 years. Even moving security from 5th to 6th floor. Looking at the lineup for new food going in, is kind of impressive, to add to an already decent selection.

They will have plenty of screening lanes, and you don't have to take off your shoes or take your laptop out of it's bag. Can't wait to see the finished product, making an already great airport imo, better.

They will have plenty of screening lanes, and you don't have to take off your shoes or take your laptop out of it's bag. Can't wait to see the finished product, making an already great airport imo, better.

How about recreational edibles? Do you have to take those out of the bag, or can they just cruise on through?

The people I know that get those say they have no problem bringing them through, lol. I'm not sure if they put them in their checked bags or carry ons.

I'm batting 1.000 so far with that at DIA but I think I'm probably old enough now to not try it again.

I'm batting 1.000 so far with that at DIA but I think I'm probably old enough now to not try it again.
Funny thing is, I keep meeting more and more older people into that. I'm like wait, you?! The older the more like little kids they are, it's hilarious.

The people I know that get those say they have no problem bringing them through, lol. I'm not sure if they put them in their checked bags or carry ons.

Checked bags, from a very reliable source. Even esmokers - those go in the toiletry bag.

Let's have it. The worst of the worst.

Currently sitting in O'Hare right next to the f4f-3. Been here since 11:30 this morning. I hate this airport, especially in the summer. Line of thunderstorms that didn't actually hit us threw the entire day into a tailspin. I may...make it to Knoxville tonight, but it won't be until 1:30 AM.

Late to,the party but a nice travelers trick in Ohare. The delta sky club has serve yourself booze. It’s in E terminal. I shouldn’t get that excited by it but I do.

Sitting in my hotel room in Victorville CA. Battery in the fire alarm in the room next door is dying making the beeping noise. I think someone is in there. Going to be a long night.

Sitting in my hotel room in Victorville CA. Battery in the fire alarm in the room next door is dying making the beeping noise. I think someone is in there. Going to be a long night.
As if being in Victorville wasn’t bad enough already

Got an extended stay in San Diego for the next few weeks for workers and I stayed down there Monday and going back tonight
The shear liquid ounces of shtty beer consumed at night by 8 construction workers is absolutely surreal

My hand to God, the beeping made it into my dreams last night. Something about college dorm and warning everyone about the fire alarm. Freaky.

Happy to report it's been fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom