World Lacrosse Sixes: July 8-12 | Syracusefan.com

World Lacrosse Sixes: July 8-12

1621360272001.png

Awful just awful.

d1men. Should reset shot clock at sixty or lower .Am warming up some to faceoffs only at start of quarters.

I guess nobody will watch LAX in the Olympics in 2028 then.

Or people will watch for the first time, and have no clue that this isn't the real game.

I listened to IL's interview with World Lacrosse's Darryl Seibel yesterday and honestly came away insulted by the insinuation that "young people" (I guess that I'm one of those still?) don't have the attention span to pay attention to sports in the way that they are traditionally structured. This mindset has crept into the ideas and plans of sanctioning bodies across all sporting disciplines, and I honestly think it's a lazy position to justify the implementation of bad ideas.

But whatever. As long as the NCAA/rules committee keeps this format far away from D1 men's lacrosse, I don't really care all that much what world lacrosse is doing.

I had been planning on going to the world games in Birmingham next summer - a rare major lacrosse event in my neck of the woods... glad they went ahead and announced this far ahead of time so I didn't bother making detailed plans for a trip there. Yuck.

Last edited:
Does the sixes mean just 6 + the goalie on each team on the field.
I think it's 5+1. 12 players per roster with 10 field players + 2 goalies. It's not laid out clearly in their materials but they do say " 6 players on the field per team".

Last edited:
Why on earth would they not just make normal field lacrosse the olympic sport? If you watch the world games, there are tons of great teams all over the world ready to go. While this may be fun to watch, it's still just the stupidest thing I've heard since 3v3 Olympic Basketball.

Rule 3.1.3: No team may be comprised of more than 12 Players on an active roster, including a minimum of 1 goalkeeper.

Rule 3.1.4: Six players constitute a full playing team. One must be a designated goalkeeper.

Why on earth would they not just make normal field lacrosse the olympic sport? If you watch the world games, there are tons of great teams all over the world ready to go. While this may be fun to watch, it's still just the stupidest thing I've heard since 3v3 Olympic Basketball.

Games take too long. 2 hours for a normal game vs 32 minutes of running clock.

The USA, Canada, and Iroquois would dominate the sport. 6 v 6 gives other countries a chance to fight for 4th place.

I said you guys would hate it.

I know I’m going to be in the minority, but I think Sixes will be an awesome version of lacrosse. Is it ncaa lacrosse, no, but for someone to say it isn’t “real” lacrosse is absurd. Lacrosse is a stick and ball game, nothing more, nothing less. For me Sixes takes the best parts of field and box lacrosse* and mixed them together for another interpretation of the sport. Eliminate the shot clock and it is the way myself, and many other outstanding players from the west side of Syracuse grew up playing.

*what I like about field - spacing, larger goals, outdoors in decent weather.
what I don’t like about field - mass substitutions, faceoffs, stall ball.
what I like about box - maximum touches, transition, pace of play.
what I don’t like about box - thuggish play, goons, cross checking.

The USA, Canada, and Iroquois would dominate the sport. 6 v 6 gives other countries a chance to fight for 4th place.

I was told the main reason is that if lacrosse is to be added to the Olympics, the roster sizes had to be small. The Olympic committee wasn't interested in adding full field, or even box, rosters into the Olympics for each country that would qualify. So between the necessity of small rosters to keep additional athletes being added a smaller number and the fact that fewer lacrosse players may keep countries more competitive against Canada and the US, they landed with sixes as the plan to have lacrosse make the Olympics.

I was told the main reason is that if lacrosse is to be added to the Olympics, the roster sizes had to be small. The Olympic committee wasn't interested in adding full field, or even box, rosters into the Olympics for each country that would qualify. So between the necessity of small rosters to keep additional athletes being added a smaller number and the fact that fewer lacrosse players may keep countries more competitive against Canada and the US, they landed with sixes as the plan to have lacrosse make the Olympics.

What a crock. They have Hockey, and Soccer. And they added a made up sport in 3v3 basketball. There is nothing that would make me see their side of this.

Also, you have good teams in Ireland, England, and representation from Japan, Uganda. Every sport has bottom feeders.

oh well

I have to wait and watch this before passing judgement but as a player it's probably pretty fun. We run speed lax games for our youth - short field, 4 v 4 - no checking, helmet, gloves, one player has to play goal (so it's 4v3) and use a tennis ball or something similarly soft and the kids absolutely love it. Given the choice that's what they always pick and have the most fun with.

As long as we don't change the American field game for Yth, HS and NCAA I'm good.

it's basically box lacrosse
In the end the main thing that makes box lacrosse box is the size of the goal. If the goals are normal outdoor size then it may still feel like outdoor overall. At least when it gets into settled offense vs defense.

I don't plan on bothering to watch it. I feel USAlacrosse sold out just to get it in the Olympics.

I am not sure the rules really help the developing countries that much. Now they have to try to cover a top US or Canadian players with a short stick and on offense try to find a good shot in 30 seconds. Not to mention that the US and Canada will have better goalies.

I'll miss the US - Canada matchups in field lacrosse in the U-19 and world games.

I don't plan on bothering to watch it. I feel USAlacrosse sold out just to get it in the Olympics.

I am not sure the rules really help the developing countries that much. Now they have to try to cover a top US or Canadian players with a short stick and on offense try to find a good shot in 30 seconds. Not to mention that the US and Canada will have better goalies.

I'll miss the US - Canada matchups in field lacrosse in the U-19 and world games.
thers's no indication (yet) that this format will replace what they have already for world games. slippery slope and all, but maybe that never happens.
hope so. this was an agenda driven deal by a small populace in sparks. and the head of the snake is retiring. though it wouldn't surprise me if the next in line is trying to push this in various directions.

This just re-affirms that D1 Mens lacrosse remains the pinnacle of the sport. Who comes up with this crap?

6 v 6 is the format they will use at the new World University Games in Birmingham, AL and for the 2028 Olympics.

The normal format will be used for the 2022 Women's World Championship in Towson, MD, and the next 2023 Men's World Championship in LA (they were in Israel in 2018).

Remember these commercials...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom