Would like to see us open with a full court press. | Syracusefan.com

Would like to see us open with a full court press.

Bornorange

2nd String
Might make teams think twice about rolling the ball past half court every possession. Our defense is good enough that our opponents feel they need a few extra seconds.

Sure. You'd have to be OK with giving Howard Washington, Brycen, and Edwards a much larger role and 10+ minutes though as we will need all 9 guys no quick hooks. And consciously rest the starters regardless of how they are performing.

But the 4 guys who don't start those 3 and Guerrier would be PERFECT for this. Edwards moves like the wind for a guy his height.

Sure. You'd have to be OK with giving Howard Washington, Brycen, and Edwards a much larger role and 10+ minutes though as we will need all 9 guys no quick hooks. And consciously rest the starters regardless of how they are performing.

But the 4 guys who don't start those 3 and Guerrier would be PERFECT for this. Edwards moves like the wind for a guy his height.
That’s because the wind is blowing him

coach says we likely don't make the tourney. start with goodine and washington out top and press the heck out of them back court for 3 minutes. element of surprise.

Our press stinks though

We only use that full court, all out gambling 1-2-1-1 though, where it’s either a turnover in the backcourt, or the other team will have a 2 on 1.

Last year early in the season we were experimenting with that safer 2-2-1 press, and even had Pitino at practice. Seemed to give up on it fairly quickly, but theoretically that’s a press that you can waste the opponents time getting into their offense, without getting beat for layups.

Im thinking in today’s game, Boeheim is probably worried about giving up a quick 3 though.

Nah. The game has changed. If you can't go 40 minutes of full court press, you aren't in very good shape.

I did not say we stay in a full-court press. I said open with it. One possession.

I'd like us to use some pressure to narrow the window for the other team to get a good shot by having someone dog the PG moving down court and trapping at mid-court, then settling back into the zone if we can't get the ball. That and go into a press for a few minutes when it's not expected, like at the beginning of a half or out of a time-out.

Last edited:
I'd like us to use some pressure to narrow the window for the other team to get a good shot by having someone dog the PG moving downcourt and trapping at mid-court, then settling back into the zone if we can't get the ball. That and go into a press for a few minute when it's not expected, like at the beginning of a half or out of a time-out.

I'd like to see a press out of a time out here and there, or maybe even take a step further and do it after the first made basket coming after a pause in the game. When it is a live ball inbound, and not a dead ball one. Utilize the element of surprise and not give them the chance to get organized or for their coach to set up a play to possibly counter it right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom