Would Syracuse do this? Should they do this? | Syracusefan.com

Would Syracuse do this? Should they do this?

Stern

All American
Kansas was playing Oklahoma today, had a lead early, and hung around the entire game. During the game, they announced on their radio network, a school email memo went out, and on Twitter that the gates are open, come on in no ticket needed. Probably a one-time thing who knows, but honestly if you don't draw fans might as well at some point let some people in for free. Maybe they buy concessions and it does create a home-field advantage.

Not like Syracuse is drawing a ton of fans for any single game. And I know the COVID rules probably prevent this from happening this year. But say in a year or so with attendance still down (because it's never good in Syracuse). Would it make sense to say show up after halftime and we will let you in for free? To try and pack the house and get some other people in there. Your die hards and most fans will have a ticket and want to see the entire game, nobody is going to give up a ticket to take advantage of this. So that wouldn't be hurt.

The economy ain't great, I know it's tough for people to find money to go to games, I understand everyone's situation is different, but you may get some stragglers to show up and want to catch a half. Ain't gonna hurt anything (assuming COVID protocols are behind us at that point as that is the only way this works).

I don't know not the worst idea ever. Kudos to Kansas for thinking outside the box.

I get that but we don't win consistently and have winning years all that often and with the landscape of college football that may never be the case again. Let's live in reality.

So, back to the original question, I don't think it's all that crazy of an idea to do.
I don’t either, although I don’t want them to do it this year because of Covid. But starting next year, sell cheap season tickets. I bought mine about 6 years ago because I could sit in row Q (one row behind preferred) and it cost me $225. Let the students in for free (is that already a thing?). Give tickets away by the buckets on the radio. Maybe for one of the early games do what Kansas did.

Will season ticket holders and others who bought tickets resent people getting in for free? I won’t.

I think you can offer or discount tickets to groups - military, kids accompanied by parents, local HS football teams, etc - but you cut the legs out from under your season ticket holders if you just start opening the gates. Not a good strategy.

I don’t either, although I don’t want them to do it this year because of Covid. But starting next year, sell cheap season tickets. I bought mine about 6 years ago because I could sit in row Q (one row behind preferred) and it cost me $225. Let the students in for free (is that already a thing?). Give tickets away by the buckets on the radio. Maybe for one of the early games do what Kansas did.

Will season ticket holders and others who bought tickets resent people getting in for free? I won’t.
Yeah, I think I'd be a little ticked if I paid good money for seats and ended up sitting next to someone who wandered in at halftime.

I know I'd chalk it up to supporting the university, but it wouldn't sit totally right with me.
1635078924467.gif

I get that but we don't win consistently and have winning years all that often and with the landscape of college football that may never be the case again. Let's live in reality.

So, back to the original question, I don't think it's all that crazy of an idea to do.
Who wants to watch a losing product with a HC who continuously make errors, even if for free.
Hard core fans are there, we just don’t have a lot of them locally. Causal and bandwagon fans will come if they are winning.
Myself, my Dome days are done, free or not, (I used to have 8 seasons to FB and BB.) Just not worth the effort to me.
SU caters to TV, not the in house fan, so I’ll watch where I can, when I can.

Yeah, I think I'd be a little ticked if I paid good money for seats and ended up sitting next to someone who wandered in at halftime.

I know I'd chalk it up to supporting the university, but it wouldn't sit totally right with me. View attachment 209411
I do get that, but maybe they’d only do that once, like Kansas, and maybe they would never do it. I think the OP was talking about thinking outside the box. If ten people filed in behind me having won a chunk of tickets in a radio contest, I would feel absolutely fine about it.

Kansas was playing Oklahoma today, had a lead early, and hung around the entire game. During the game, they announced on their radio network, a school email memo went out, and on Twitter that the gates are open, come on in no ticket needed. Probably a one-time thing who knows, but honestly if you don't draw fans might as well at some point let some people in for free. Maybe they buy concessions and it does create a home-field advantage.

Not like Syracuse is drawing a ton of fans for any single game. And I know the COVID rules probably prevent this from happening this year. But say in a year or so with attendance still down (because it's never good in Syracuse). Would it make sense to say show up after halftime and we will let you in for free? To try and pack the house and get some other people in there. Your die hards and most fans will have a ticket and want to see the entire game, nobody is going to give up a ticket to take advantage of this. So that wouldn't be hurt.

The economy ain't great, I know it's tough for people to find money to go to games, I understand everyone's situation is different, but you may get some stragglers to show up and want to catch a half. Ain't gonna hurt anything (assuming COVID protocols are behind us at that point as that is the only way this works).

I don't know not the worst idea ever. Kudos to Kansas for thinking outside the box.

It’s like free college: if everyone gets it for free, it devalues the product

I do get that, but maybe they’d only do that once, like Kansas, and maybe they would never do it. I think the OP was talking about thinking outside the box. If ten people filed in behind me having won a chunk of tickets in a radio contest, I would feel absolutely fine about it.
Winning tickets is fine - they have tickets. They didn't wander in off the street.

Not trying to argue, as this isn't a hill I want to die on.

I would guess at KS this was a one-time thing, given how wretched they have been over the years and being up by 10 over #3 OK in the 3rd quarter.

Outside the box for SU FB is winning.

Season tickets where I sit are cheap. :)

It’s like free college: if everyone gets it for free, it devalues the product
Not winning de-values the product. It's just like hotel inventory, if that seat isn't filled for a game, that inventory is gone forever.

I would imagine there's an average revenue per attendee that should be considered, and maybe try some dynamic pricing. Scalpers have worked with dynamic pricing at sporting events for decades.

The first impression I get when I see a mostly empty stadium on TV is a program that is sinking. Like reviews on Amazon, more is assumed to be better, whether they're legit or not.

That said, winning fixes this, but until we win consistently why not try something different?

Interesting concept. To me it depends on what is the goal (s). Is it so every seat is filled for tv? Is it so Syracuse can make more money? Is it intended for those less fortunate? I would rather they have a more coordinated outreach. For example in advance I would love to see bus loads of Fort Drum soldiers and their families get tickets. I would like a better effort in having all pop warner football teams and family members get in but they all need to wear the schools colors. Do it for all central NY. I would like to see them coordinate with maybe assisted living homes and get a bunch of elderly fans (or not fans but would still enjoy getting out) up to the dome and provide an area of seating. How about an EMT/Fireman/Police/State trooper and family day?

If they counted the number of people who took them up on it, or captured their contact info as they came through the gate, then I’d say great job. Otherwise this is as if George McF-it was running the stadium

Interesting concept. To me it depends on what is the goal (s). Is it so every seat is filled for tv? Is it so Syracuse can make more money? Is it intended for those less fortunate? I would rather they have a more coordinated outreach. For example in advance I would love to see bus loads of Fort Drum soldiers and their families get tickets. I would like a better effort in having all pop warner football teams and family members get in but they all need to wear the schools colors. Do it for all central NY. I would like to see them coordinate with maybe assisted living homes and get a bunch of elderly fans (or not fans but would still enjoy getting out) up to the dome and provide an area of seating. How about an EMT/Fireman/Police/State trooper and family day?

we do have a military day and season ticket holders could buy tix and donate them to the effort. I don’t know about this year but they also used to have a pop Warner day where leagues got a bunch of tix each.

I know I'd chalk it up to supporting the university, but it wouldn't sit totally right with me. View attachment 209411
Agree. That's exactly how I would feel. We've had similar discussions about whether to lower the prices in the "donor" sections of the Dome to help fill it. But on the other hand, a lot of places are doing dynamic pricing now. But free is a bit too dynamic for me.

we do have a military day and season ticket holders could buy tix and donate them to the effort. I don’t know about this year but they also used to have a pop Warner day where leagues got a bunch of tix each.
Yep aware of the military day and as a Vet I appreciate it. This is more targeted to the base and family. I am not saying SU picks up the tab for bus rides but would love to see a Fort Drum coordinate an effort for all. I recall seeing some Pop Warner but again do some coordination so whole sections get filled like the corner endzone section top bowl. Always empty there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom