Wow Doug 1st recruiting class | Syracusefan.com

Wow Doug 1st recruiting class

money3189

Living Legend
was a small class, only 11 players if you eliminate D Peterson, EJ Carter and T Phillips. The class wasnt thought highly of for obvious reasons, but they accomplished alot and played a huge part in getting Syracuse football back to respectable status. B Sharpe, S Thomas, A Lemon, J Pugh, and A Tiller (2011) were all big east perfomers. We already won a bowl game with them and now we are in position to win our 2nd bowl game in 3 years. They brought back the Big East title this year. In addition to them you have Z Chibane ( 3 year starter), R Anderson (2 year starter), P Thomas (2 year starter, w/eagles now), T Ball contibuted too. Jury is still out on C Loeb, and A Phillips have been a great practice player and versitile back up. If someone would have told me back then that this would be the class to accomplish all of that I would have laughed.

Was this his first real class (with a full year to recruit) or his first class when he got the job and only had a short amount of time to put something together?

Was this his first real class (with a full year to recruit) or his first class when he got the job and only had a short amount of time to put something together?
The latter...

Still impressive, just wondering which one. I assumed the latter b/c I remember when he was hired it was just trying to find bodies to bring in.

Still impressive, just wondering which one. I assumed the latter b/c I remember when he was hired it was just trying to find bodies to bring in.
Two of those bodies came out of nowhere.. The Thomases

Pugh was a GRob recruit and Lemon definitely committed with GRob as coach from what I remember. Thomas/Sharpe were most definitely Marrone guys when he came aboard.

Yes, Lemon was already a commit. Other people can argue about who gets credit for him coming but he had committed to GRob(bed us)

It also takes a little bit of work to keep those recruits committed. I know Lemon didnt have many offers

...and Sharpe.
I was at the party Sharpe was at for his recruiting trip. He looked bored as , was just kind of sitting there, as the party was pretty terrible. Thought for sure he wouldn't be coming here.

was a small class, only 11 players if you eliminate D Peterson, EJ Carter and T Phillips. The class wasnt thought highly of for obvious reasons, but they accomplished alot and played a huge part in getting Syracuse football back to respectable status. B Sharpe, S Thomas, A Lemon, J Pugh, and A Tiller (2011) were all big east perfomers. We already won a bowl game with them and now we are in position to win our 2nd bowl game in 3 years. They brought back the Big East title this year. In addition to them you have Z Chibane ( 3 year starter), R Anderson (2 year starter), P Thomas (2 year starter, w/eagles now), T Ball contibuted too. Jury is still out on C Loeb, and A Phillips have been a great practice player and versitile back up. If someone would have told me back then that this would be the class to accomplish all of that I would have laughed.
And that class was ranked like 110th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was at the party Sharpe was at for his recruiting trip. He looked bored as ****, was just kind of sitting there, as the party was pretty terrible. Thought for sure he wouldn't be coming here.

Interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure you told us that on the Premium board on the other site. That's funny.

Great post.

Fact of the matter is: given the depleted roster at the time, we needed just about every single member of that class to pan out for depth purposes, and the vast majority of them did. Marrone didn't have the best of circumstances for recruiting, given how late it was in the recruiting game when he took over for Gump. But there were some really good early signs [i.e., flipping Shamarko, Sharpe, and Anderson] that suggested this staff would be good on the recruiting trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom