Wow, the ESPN / Cuse lovefest begins! | Syracusefan.com

Wow, the ESPN / Cuse lovefest begins!

"No, like McNamara, what endears Cooney to the crowd is how he plays. He looks more like the kid you’d pick last for dodgeball. Aside from the coaching staff, no one on the Syracuse bench has less hair on their heads than Cooney. He’s sort of pasty and scruffy and, in an interview, is polite and unassuming, with not even a hint of bravado. "

Wow, what kind of backhanded crap is that? Does she want to mention his small Irish penis also? Jesus.

Interesting note in there - Thamel says that an informal poll of 20 NBA scouts in attendance put CJ in the 25-40 range for the draft.

Does that mean he's coming back for his senior senior year?

I swear she drinks when she writes

Some of the best writers were drunks, but I don't think even alcohol could save her after reading this. Maybe she had good intentions...

Pasty? Doesn't that just mean white

Yeah, as well as "pale and unhealthy". I'll let you draw your own conclusion on this masterpiece of contemporary American journalism.

Besides the rib jabs, I thought that was a good article. Especially coming from an ACC writer.

Hard not to really root for Cooney.

"No, like McNamara, what endears Cooney to the crowd is how he plays. He looks more like the kid you’d pick last for dodgeball. Aside from the coaching staff, no one on the Syracuse bench has less hair on their heads than Cooney. He’s sort of pasty and scruffy and, in an interview, is polite and unassuming, with not even a hint of bravado. "

Wow, what kind of backhanded crap is that? Does she want to mention his small Irish penis also? Jesus.
Seriously. She might as well just come out and say ZOMG Syracuse has a WHITE GUY and HOLY SH!TBALLS he's athletic, I DON'T BELIEVE IT

A POLITE BASKETBALL PLAYER I DON'T BELIEVE IT

I think Dana googled images of Trevor Cooney and got confused... she thought this was Trevor Cooney

m25c0.jpg

There is so much subtle, unintentional racism in sports centered on stereotypes of white athletes. What she meant to say is the white kid is always picked last, so who knew this white kid could play. Same as with a lot of people here who just assumed Gbinije was a better athlete and player, without ever having seen him play.
Cooney's HS videos showed him to be an athlete. Last year showed he was a high caliber D1 athlete. People need to watch and think before they speak and write.

There is so much subtle, unintentional racism in sports centered on stereotypes of white athletes. What she meant to say is the white kid is always picked last, so who knew this white kid could play. Same as with a lot of people here who just assumed Gbinije was a better athlete and player, without ever having seen him play.
Cooney's HS videos showed him to be an athlete. Last year showed he was a high caliber D1 athlete. People need to watch and think before they speak and write.

Worth a bump: http://syracusefan.com/threads/for-those-who-are-burying-cooney-thinking.54828/

I mean seriously though: if you were in charge of designing an SNL skit that made fun of sports writers/broadcasters and their racial stuff, you would just copy&paste that right? I didn't believe that article was real two paragraphs in.

You guys are deservedly crushing her for the backhanded compliments but it was a good article:

"…and he and teammate Tyler Ennis are playing as well as any backcourt in the country, making the transition from Carter-Williams and Triche much more seamless than anyone could imagine.

But that’s always the way it is for Boeheim. If there is a better coach at fitting the square pegs into his square holes, I’m not sure who it is. Boeheim doesn’t just find the best players; he finds the best players that fit his needs. His is not so much a system as it is a well-oiled machine."

You guys are deservedly crushing her for the backhanded compliments but it was a good article:

"…and he and teammate Tyler Ennis are playing as well as any backcourt in the country, making the transition from Carter-Williams and Triche much more seamless than anyone could imagine.

But that’s always the way it is for Boeheim. If there is a better coach at fitting the square pegs into his square holes, I’m not sure who it is. Boeheim doesn’t just find the best players; he finds the best players that fit his needs. His is not so much a system as it is a well-oiled machine."
Sorry Mr. O'Neil.

This blatant racism, a bad day, and the "alleged" IU fan(always harder to mock us instead of "them") in 317 buying meth of a low quality from a brown van has made me decide to break bad. Not to mention Walter White I think would make one heck of an associate coach the way he could both game plan and get misfits to apply themselves.

As a white person I was not offended by this at all.. But then again I'm not one to turn everything into a problem or complain about everything. Who would of thought a pro cooney article would still upset people.