Class of 2016 - WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard

Tawo is listed at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds on the Maryland Athletics website. During his three year Maryland career, he caught 61 total passes for 938 yards and three touchdowns. Etta-Tawo only had one 100-yard receiving performance, which ironically came against Syracuse during the 2013 season

All right!

The receiving corps gets a much needed shot in the arm. I think we're going to see a LOT more WRs want to come here once they see the system that Babers implements here.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Maryland-Wide-Receiver-Amba-Etta-Tawo-Set-to-Transfer-44025640

Maryland Wide Receiver Amba Etta-Tawo Set to Transfer

Maryland wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo announced on Tuesday evening that he will transfer and finish his football career elsewhere. He told InsideMDSports.com he plans to graduate from Maryland in May and look to play at another school immediately as a graduate transfer.

Etta-Tawo, a Georgia native, made starts in each of the past three seasons for the Terps, totaling 61 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns. His most productive season came in 2013 as a redshirt freshmen, when he caught 31 passes for 500 yards and two touchdowns.

At 6-foot-1 with speed, Etta-Tawo proved to be a big play threat but was never able to stay on the field consistently and struggled at times with drops. He committed to the Terps as a three-star recruit back in 2012 over Clemson, Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Vanderbilt.

Maryland is expected to return the rest of its wide receiver unit from last season. In addition to key returnees Levern Jacobs, Taivon Jacobs, D.J. Moore, DeAndre Lane, Malcolm Culmer and Jahrvis Davenport, the Terps also bring in four-star recruits Tino Ellis and D.J Turner. Etta-Tawo lost his starting spot to Moore, a promising rising sophomore, two games into last season..

Has a repuatation for dropping balls but he can help us with depth and his combination of size and speed. He still can make the spectacular play. We can use that. I expect his senior year to be his best despite learning a new system.

We desperately need someone who can stretch the field in this offense. Our only burner per say is Estime, and he is really a slot guy. This is a good fit for Babers' offense remind you. He wouldn't be that effective in Lester's.

You're not going to put up great numbers if you have trouble catching the ball.

how much of that is fact vs. fiction? How many did he really drop? Is he an All American ? Heck no. Will he help? Probably.

I don't really have much of an expectation but the positive is that he was good enough to start 8 games for Maryland (newspaper said 15 games). In 3 years he had 61 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns. That's good for 2nd on the Syracuse roster.

Look at the returning numbers. This kid is a STUD if you just look at the numbers. It puts a productive receiver on the other side of Ishmael.

#1) Steve Ishmael
66 catches / 985 yards / 10 TDS

#2) Amba Etta-Tawo
61 catches / 938 yards / 3 TDS

#3) Brisly Estime
45 catches / 690 yards

#4) Ervin Philips
44 catches / 343 yards 5 TDs

#5) Josh Parris
43 catches / 279 yards

#6) Alvin Cornelius
18 catches / 232 yards

Last edited:
Really?! Based on what: hope?
If he stays healthy and learn the system fairly quick, why cant he have a better year than his previous years? His best year he had 31 catches. You think he cant get to 32 if he's healthy? Its a fresh start, will be more opportunities with the high tempo. He is probably faster than any of the other outside receivers. He was probably 18 or 19 years old when he had his best year. He's probably 23 now.

Last edited:
Judging only from what I've seen from bowling green game film, we can use as many playmakers as we can find. The pace of his offense will wear out defenses and playmakers alike. We may have a couple that excel, but we'll have a lot of players involved in the offense. It seems that DB kinda lets the defense call the offense, I.e. the offensive play is determined at the last moment by the weakness offered by the defense. All of our guys better be ready because the ball could be headed their way. Welcome, Mr. Etta-Tawo...perhaps you can eclipse your Maryland stats in a single season under Babers...

I know this will sound nuts, but I wonder if this system isn't harmed that much by a burner with bad hands. I mean, those sideline deep threats are intended to string out the defense. Even if that player has questionable hands, no defense is going to gamble that they can just let him run by them.