WR by the numbers | Syracusefan.com

WR by the numbers

SUskibum

All Conference
For receiving here are the grades (TLDR is Gadsden and Peña are good, everyone else is meh)

Gadsden
Gap
Pena
Gap
Coop
Jones
Jackson
Gap
Alford

Blocking, Alford is the best and everyone else is around average

Hopefully we can do what we did in 2018 and end the year with our best (if young) WR, remember Harris displaced Butler. Maybe Hatcher or Brown displaces someone

Last edited:
Our returning players from last year...

Jackson
2021 37 catches
2022 27 on pace

Cooper
2021 21
2022 30

Tucker
2021 20
2022 51

Queeley
2021 15
2022 0.0

Alford
2021 13
2022 9

Pena
2021 2
2022 18

Gadsden
2021 2
2022 57

Elmore
2021 1
2022 0

Mang
2021 1
2022 6

Jackson has been down. Queeley is MIA. Alford somehow is lower. Everyone else is on pace for a lot more catches.

Our returning players from last year...

Jackson
2021 37 catches
2022 27 on pace

Cooper
2021 21
2022 30

Tucker
2021 20
2022 51

Queeley
2021 15
2022 0.0

Alford
2021 13
2022 9

Pena
2021 2
2022 18

Gadsden
2021 2
2022 57

Elmore
2021 1
2022 0

Mang
2021 1
2022 6

Jackson has been down. Queeley is MIA. Alford somehow is lower. Everyone else is on pace for a lot more catches.
[Cumulative 2022] Individual Receiving Statistics
#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
19Gadsden II, Oronde41930015.7934675.00
34Tucker, Sean4171699.9415542.25
7Cooper, Devaughn41013013.0002332.50
9Jackson, Courtney4912614.0012431.50
2Pena, Trebor368313.8302927.67
82Alford, Damien436521.6714716.25
80Jones, Isaiah346015.0012520.00
85Adams, D'Marcus113939.0013939.00
12Villari, Dan112222.0002222.00
81Mang, Maximilian42105.00062.50
20Allen, LeQuint4393.00072.25
13Hayes, CJ400NaN000.00
6Shrader, Garrett400NaN000.00
Total475101313.51855253.25
Opponents4918649.49556216.00

Like I’ve been saying since last year. Our WR group is weak. Just b/c a year goes by doesn’t mean they improve. The idea everyone improves on some fake trajectory is funny but an idea especially one “esteemed” poster loves to pump. We’ve dedicated a significant amount of scholarships to that position and our success rate is VERY low. We need new eyes looking at players to recruit for this position.

Like I’ve been saying since last year. Our WR group is weak. Just b/c a year goes by doesn’t mean they improve. The idea everyone improves on some fake trajectory is funny but an idea especially one “esteemed” poster loves to pump. We’ve dedicated a significant amount of scholarships to that position and our success rate is VERY low. We need new eyes looking at players to recruit for this position.

We have a new WR coach and new OC this year as new eyes. Any WRs taken moving forward will be theirs

We have a new WR coach and new OC this year as new eyes. Any WRs taken moving forward will be theirs

Completely agree. Tongue in cheek comment to some degree. I’m excited for the type of players the new staff will target. I think we’ll stop targeting guys that are just “burners” and target guys that can play the position.

In fairness Gadsden and Pena basically came out of nowhere with no robust stats from previous years so saying Hatcher and/or Brown could also be upgrades to our #3/4 receivers has as much merit

Not to mention Jones was emerging out of ‘nowhere’ but didnt quite have enough snaps to get a good feel, though early indications were clearly positive (plus fall reports)

In fairness Gadsden and Pena basically came out of nowhere with no robust stats from previous years so saying Hatcher and/or Brown could also be upgrades to our #3/4 receivers has as much merit

Not to mention Jones was emerging out of ‘nowhere’ but didnt quite have enough snaps to get a good feel, though early indications were clearly positive (plus fall reports)

I think you’ve actually made my point. Look at how many scholarships we’ve dedicated to the WR position in last ~7 years and can you count 10 guys that have even been solid players? Solid players = putting up avg CFB numbers not what we’ve been used to for 15+ years. Also can’t include players already here prior to DB

I think you’ve actually made my point. Look at how many scholarships we’ve dedicated to the WR position in last ~7 years and can you count 10 guys that have even been solid players? Solid players = putting up avg CFB numbers not what we’ve been used to for 15+ years. Also can’t include players already here prior to DB
I think two points can be true.

point 1 (My point) we could have young talent developing waiting to make an impact that we can’t yet see

point 2 For a period (call it 2017-2019) we didnt do a tremendous job recruiting (particularly wr) for reasons we probably agree on but aren’t worth resurfacing.

The more overarching point is recruiting for past 2-3 classes has been solid (just watch the NFL draft this year) and many of those kids haven’t even gotten the opportunity to show what they can do and some of those kids are WR

Last edited:
I think two points can be true.

point 1 (My point) we could have young talent developing waiting to make an impact that we can’t yet see

point 2 For a period (call it 2017-2019) we didnt do a tremendous job recruiting (particularly wr) for reasons we probably agree on but aren’t worth resurfacing.

The more overarching point is recruiting for past 2-3 classes has been solid (just watch the NFL draft this year) and many of those kids (particularly wr) haven’t even gotten the opportunity to show what they can do and some of those kids are WR

Don’t disagree except I was never implying that recruiting was bad. Just that WR recruiting while DB has been here has been strangely….. I won’t say bad but a majority of players recruited didn’t pan out to even be solid role players.

Don’t disagree except I was never implying that recruiting was bad. Just that WR recruiting while DB has been here has been strangely….. I won’t say bad but a majority of players recruited didn’t pan out to even be solid role players.

It is one of life's mysteries. How we couldn't get a WR to come here given the numbers our WRs were putting up, and a highly rated QB of the future.

Completely agree. Tongue in cheek comment to some degree. I’m excited for the type of players the new staff will target. I think we’ll stop targeting guys that are just “burners” and target guys that can play the position.

We don't really have many burners. Pena is above average speed but not threat every the touches the ball fast. Adams or Brown might be but haven't seen nearly enough of either to know.

We don't really have many burners. Pena is above average speed but not threat every the touches the ball fast. Adams or Brown might be but haven't seen nearly enough of either to know.
Dino has been quoted as saying Peña is 1 part Erv, 1 part Riley but faster than both.

Not sure that changes anything, and we definitely need an outside guy to stretch the D, haven’t seen that yet (outside of an inconsistent Alford)

There have been too many misses, but the current group also has a lot of promise. Gadsen, Alford, and Pena are all true sophomores. Jones and Jackson are capable, P5 level receivers and each has at least two more years of eligibility. We need to stack a few classes with players of their size, speed, and talent. Unfortunately, the current skilled recruits don't look strong on paper (hopefully they'll exceed their rankings). Need this current crop to win and sustain us until we can bring in some advanced talent.

There have been too many misses, but the current group also has a lot of promise. Gadsen, Alford, and Pena are all true sophomores. Jones and Jackson are capable, P5 level receivers and each has at least two more years of eligibility. We need to stack a few classes with players of their size, speed, and talent. Unfortunately, the current skilled recruits don't look strong on paper (hopefully they'll exceed their rankings). Need this current crop to win and sustain us until we can bring in some advanced talent.

Alford and Pena are JRs.

3rd year Sophomores, eligibility wise. They each got 2 Frosh years due to COVID. Alford turns 22 in April.

Alford is a bigger Butler.
Great blocker, meh WR who doesn’t make that many catches.

Yes - he’s had 2-3 really clutch grabs in his career, but a dude w his physical abilities should be hauling down multiple passes each and every game.

Taj displaced Butler.

Here’s hoping that either one of the young’s does the same this year,
OR
that Alford finds his inner Ish or Custis and becomes a true impact WR for us.

Dino has been quoted as saying Peña is 1 part Erv, 1 part Riley but faster than both.

Not sure that changes anything, and we definitely need an outside guy to stretch the D, haven’t seen that yet (outside of an inconsistent Alford)
But Erv got open, caught the ball, and got additional yardage most of the time.

Alford is a bigger Butler.
Great blocker, meh WR who doesn’t make that many catches.

Yes - he’s had 2-3 really clutch grabs in his career, but a dude w his physical abilities should be hauling down multiple passes each and every game.

Taj displaced Butler.

Here’s hoping that either one of the young’s does the same this year,
OR
that Alford finds his inner Ish or Custis and becomes a true impact WR for us.
Yeah for a starting WR he's... just kind of there.

I wonder what's up with Queeley, too. Weird that he's not contributing at all. He looked pretty solid his first year as a starter.

There are struggles at WR but what I am thrilled about is that more than 3 are getting snaps.

I never thought Riley was particularly fast either. He was fast-ish like Pena but I don't recall him running away from anyone either. Just became a thing that he was fast because he was small and those around him were less fast.

Erv was silky smooth and shifty. Not sure what his 40 time was but I'd love to have about 8 clones of him in this offense.

Again, if/when, we get an actual burner playing at WR it'll give perspective on where the rest are. The fastest of a slow bunch doesn't inherently make one a "burner" as such. Watching other teams with guys like that makes it apparent what we lack, and have lacked since Amba really. Ish was a different kind of beast entirely and OG is in that mold. Hope to see plenty of Adams and Brown this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom