WR Devin Butler Transfering

tep624

All American
+ by -

Both units he could potentially play in are very strong and it opens up a roster spot to perhaps get an upperclassman to shore up one of the units that isn't as deep. Best of luck to him but this is best for both parties if he wants to play some significant minutes next season.

HtownOrange

All American
Wishing him well. I hope a new coach can help him break through with the hands. He does the other things that make him a valuable receiver (block downfield, run routes well). Even amongst some tough criticism on this site, the kid played hard.

Wish the young man lots of luck, he has the physical tools. In my humble opinion, he seemed to zone out for long periods of time on the field. From the first game this year against Western Michigan when he jogged for a long ball from DeVito and then got toasted by McKinley Williams on the sideline for doing it. If he wants to be successful in college football, he needs to play hard every play for the entire play. Go Orange!!!!!!!

corpjet

Board Prophet
Not shocked after the first game of the year, other players emerged and he slowly faded to the back.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. As other have said welcome a JUCO transfer at a position of need which WR isn’t one of those areas.

He is indeed the first Dino Babers recruit to leave the program. To be honest, it really does seem like he was fighting to be the 4th outside receiver next year if he stuck it out on that side of the ball. I didn't think that going into the last part of the season, but the performances of Taj Harris, Trishton Jackson & Sharod Johnson convinced me otherwise. Devin would have ended up battling with Ed Hendrix, Cam Jordan and Russel Thompson-Bishop for that 4th receiver spot. I can absolutely understand why he wouldn't want to do that.

FWIW, it looks like this makes far more likely that some combo of Taj, Trishton, Sharod & Hendrix/Jordan/RTB is our two deep at outside receiver next year. I like that group a lot.

Yup...I'd like to have him there for depth. I understand his desire to play.

Is this Dino's first transfer or was he a FHCSS recruit?

OrangeTarheel

2018 Cali Winner: Passing TDs
Wish the young man lots of luck, he has the physical tools. In my humble opinion, he seemed to zone out for long periods of time on the field. From the first game this year against Western Michigan when he jogged for a long ball from DeVito and then got toasted by McKinley Williams on the sideline for doing it. If he wants to be successful in college football, he needs to play hard every play for the entire play. Go Orange!!
That happened right in front of the Syracuse section at that game. Really disappointed to see that, had high hopes for him this year but that play sure said a lot.

CbusCuse

2nd String
He is indeed the first Dino Babers recruit to leave the program. To be honest, it really does seem like he was fighting to be the 4th outside receiver next year if he stuck it out on that side of the ball. I didn't think that going into the last part of the season, but the performances of Taj Harris, Trishton Jackson & Sharod Johnson convinced me otherwise. Devin would have ended up battling with Ed Hendrix, Cam Jordan and Russel Thompson-Bishop for that 4th receiver spot. I can absolutely understand why he wouldn't want to do that.

FWIW, it looks like this makes far more likely that some combo of Taj, Trishton, Sharod & Hendrix/Jordan/RTB is our two deep at outside receiver next year. I like that group a lot.
You left out Queeley. I think that kid is going to be a serious player as well.

Queeley is an inside receiver, I believe. Him and Lutz are likely to be behind Riley and Nykeim. That is, unless they move Sharod back inside.

qdawgg

All American
If he goes to a lower level program I think he’ll shine. Completely a hot take but I feel like he’s the type of kid that when he’s physically more talented than who he’s playing against he’s a beast. When he’s not able to have his way easily, he gets frustrated.

Not sure if the drops are also a factor in that too but I said last year multiple times. I didn’t think he would be better this year. You can practice on the juggs machine all day, having a tendency to drop passes at the level of competition you play at. Is very rare to improve.

Symphony Steve

All Conference
If he goes to a lower level program I think he’ll shine. Completely a hot take but I feel like he’s the type of kid that when he’s physically more talented than who he’s playing against he’s a beast. When he’s not able to have his way easily, he gets frustrated.

Not sure if the drops are also a factor in that too but I said last year multiple times. I didn’t think he would be better this year. You can practice on the juggs machine all day, having a tendency to drop passes at the level of competition you play at. Is very rare to improve.
Sometimes it's not the hands, but eyesight. I can't remember the names, but I know that there were a few NFL receivers who improved after their sight issues were identified and addressed.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Sometimes it's not the hands, but eyesight. I can't remember the names, but I know that there were a few NFL receivers who improved after their sight issues were identified and addressed.
I had done some legal work for Tommy Kane (before the big issue) and he told me that what among the things that he learned from Steve Largent was that the eyes are the most important part of the body when it comes to catching the football. (He could not say enough good things about Largent, especially how smart he was about his craft. Really cool conversation.)

Dwayne Bowe when at LSU (then chiefs) was an example of this.

SmilinBob

Hall of Fame
I had done some legal work for Tommy Kane (before the big issue) and he told me that what among the things that he learned from Steve Largent was that the eyes are the most important part of the body when it comes to catching the football. (He could not say enough good things about Largent, especially how smart he was about his craft. Really cool conversation.)
Great point. Trust me, if you have a astigmatism it's a killer catching things.

SmilinBob

Hall of Fame
Maybe the best blocker of the WR crew and that will be missed as well. Good luck Devin and go find a good match for your talents and academics.

Ish88888

All American
one of those good transfer situations. means there's young talent taking over the position.
how/why does it mean there is good talent taking over? DB has underachieved from the start. His transfer feels way more personal for DB than getting scared away by incoming talent.

Top Bottom