Class of 2016 - WR DJ Turner (MD) UMD Commit/Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR DJ Turner (MD) UMD Commit/Offered

would love to open that Dematha pipeline but this seems like a pipe dream

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...athas-dj-turner-commits-to-maryland-football/

By Roman Stubbs January 24, 2015
imrs.php

By Roman Stubbs January 24, 2015
a three-star prospect by Rivals, and was recruited to Maryland as an athlete. Brooks said it is still undecided which position Maryland will play Turner at, but he projects as a quality prospect that can excel as either a defensive back or a wide receiver and also have an impact in the return game. And he is the latest example, Brooks said, of the inroads Maryland football is making in the local recruiting scene.

“I think they all want to stay home and play for their state school. When you have kids like Lorenzo, Keandre and DJ staying home, it definitely attracts other top prospects.”

Turner is the latest local commitment out of the Class of 2016 for Maryland, which has also secured pledged from DeMatha running back Lorenzo Harrison and Good Counsel linebacker Keandre Jones. It adds another electrifying playmaker in Turner, who posted more than 800 receiving and kick return yards along with eight interceptions for the Stags this fall, according to DeMatha Coach Elijah Brooks, who confirmed Turner’s commitment.

“From the safety spot, or kick returner, wide receiver, he can just do so much,” Brooks said. “While he might not pass the eyeball test, you just turn on his film and you can see the impact that he makes for us. He’s going to be a heck of a player at Maryland.”

Should open up a Gonzaga pipeline instead.

For real though- happy to see us recruit this area.

Last edited:
Why are we throwing a offer in on a commit that sounds committed. I could see if he was wavering of somewhat. Is it just to see what may happen and to open some doors??

Why are we throwing a offer in on a commit that sounds committed. I could see if he was wavering of somewhat. Is it just to see what may happen and to open some doors??

"Sounds committed" based upon what? That article posted above is a year old, if that was what you were basing your opinion on.

That article was from Jan 2015

Maybe our staff felt that UMD is poisoning the well with a few of our late decommits and we're firing back.

Usually you don't see us going after a neighboring peer school's commits.

SHOTS FIRED

This kid suffered a really bad ankle injury too from what I read this past season. He looks like he has wheels. Hopefully he maintains his quickness after the injury.

Maybe Ferri had prior contact with him. No Towson offer, but I'm sure he was aware of DJ.

This kid suffered a really bad ankle injury too from what I read this past season. He looks like he has wheels. Hopefully he maintains his quickness after the injury.
He had one of those "do not watch the video" injuries in the first game against Miami Central on ESPN. Nasty injury - obviously out all year and had significant surgery. His game was speed since he is small so no one really knows what they are getting at this point. Injury was bad enough to potentially rob him of what made him great and even a little speed lose makes him an average prospect.

He had one of those "do not watch the video" injuries in the first game against Miami Central on ESPN. Nasty injury - obviously out all year and had significant surgery. His game was speed since he is small so no one really knows what they are getting at this point. Injury was bad enough to potentially rob him of what made him great and even a little speed lose makes him an average prospect.
I saw that game live on espn. it didnt look good.

we've had DeMatha kids in the past. That well dried up when Chris White was dimissed.

The more I read about this kid the more intriguing he is.

The injury was a fractured fibula and he is supposed to be back to 100% by August. Only 5-9 but packing 192 lbs and timed 4.49 at The Opening. 4.09 shuttle, 38 kneeling powerball and a 38 inch Vertical. Final rating was 122.55 which looks like it was good enough for #22 at the camp.

Here's a camp eval of him:

BEAVERTON, Ore. -- One of the surprises of The Opening was Maryland receiver commit D.J. Turner, and Scout has the details on why that was the case.

DJ Turner, a receiver from Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha, was one the top surprise from the East Region at The Opening.

His ability to make a double move within three steps and get out quickly into the ending stages of the route was impressive.

Turner dropped a ball or two, but that will happen throughout the course of an event. He needs to refine his out-route by being a bit tighter, but overall he performed terrifically.

http://www.. . . . . . . . . /college/maryland/story/1562749-the-opening-d-j-turner-evaluation

Last edited:
we've had DeMatha kids in the past. That well dried up when Chris White was dimissed.
We were in on a few a couple years ago but I can't remember the names. It seems like Turner is interested in hearing what we have to say. Hope we can flip him.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Terps-WR-Commit-DJ-Turner-Officially-Visiting-Syracuse-43022222

A year ago this week, DeMatha wide receiver D.J. Turner committed to Maryland. He's remained firm in his pledge throughout the process, touting the stay-at-home-movement to other recruits, but now it seems he wants to make sure he's making the right decision with National Signing Day less than two weeks away. As he told InsideMDSports.com's Ahmed Ghafir on Tuesday, he plans to take an official visit to Syracuse this weekend, weather permitting.

Turner, a 5-foot-8, 160 pound slot receiver, was the third to commit to the Terps' 2016 class and he's one of four DeMatha recruits in the class (Lorenzo Harrison, Tino Ellis, Terrance Davis). He missed the majority of his senior season due to a fractured fibula, and it looked like he had all but shutdown his recruitment until recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom