Class of 2018 - WR Drake Harris (Michigan) Grad Transfer to WMU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 WR Drake Harris (Michigan) Grad Transfer to WMU

mlbball99

2nd String
I've brought this up before, but I'm pretty concerned about the WR position next year after watching Butler in the last few games. I really think the staff needs to bring in a 5th year transfer to help bridge the year to get Hendrix, Jordan, Queeley, etc more experience.

I know finding an Amba is a diamond in the rough but there seems to be some kids starting to announce 5th year transfer. Here's one I think would be an excellent fit:

Anyone think there is any shot the staff contacts him?

Michigan WR Drake Harris plans to transfer for fifth year

This +1000. There’s nobody on the roster who’s proven anything at this point. With Ishmael the concern was whether he could become a #1 after playing in AETs shadow. Right now we have a #3 with bad hands as the best hope. Quite concerned. I’m more concerned that DB hasn’t been reeling in more interest from top WRs for this system. Hendrix is a step in the right direction but even he is a high 3 Star.

This +1000. There’s nobody on the roster who’s proven anything at this point. With Ishmael the concern was whether he could become a #1 after playing in AETs shadow. Right now we have a #3 with bad hands as the best hope. Quite concerned. I’m more concerned that DB hasn’t been reeling in more interest from top WRs for this system. Hendrix is a step in the right direction but even he is a high 3 Star.

Depending on what site you look at. ESPN has him as a 4.

I'll take a 3 star with 25+ offers from Arkansas, BC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan St, Missouri, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pitt, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin etc.

That's more than a step in the right direction.

Syracuse will NEVER, NEVER and I mean NEVER be a destination spot for a plethora of 4 star kids ( let alone 5), regardless of who the coach is or what system you run. it never has been and never will be. Mike Leach has run a pass dominated system for 15 years and he is still taking many 3 star and JUCO Kids wherever he has been. When he gets a 4 star receiver it's still a big deal at WSU. He has a bigger track record than Dino, better facilities and an offense that HUMS, he got 1 4 star last year. I don't care who is your HC or what system you run here, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. People keep waiting for some recruiting overhaul, it's not going to happen. Recruit for the system and develop.

People have been worried about WR for two years and it's been fine, actually more than fine. It's down the list quite a bit

Syracuse will NEVER, NEVER and I mean NEVER be a destination spot for a plethora of 4 star kids ( let alone 5), regardless of who the coach is or what system you run. it never has been and never will be. Mike Leach has run a pass dominated system for 15 years and he is still taking many 3 star and JUCO Kids wherever he has been. When he gets a 4 star receiver it's still a big deal at WSU. He has a bigger track record than Dino, better facilities and an offense that HUMS, he got 1 4 star last year. I don't care who is your HC or what system you run here, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. People keep waiting for some recruiting overhaul, it's not going to happen. Recruit for the system and develop.

People have been worried about WR for two years and it's been fine, actually more than fine. It's down the list quite a bit
This. Heck we have some of the best basketball facilities nationally and a HOF coach and can barely get 5 star talent to come to cuse for that sport. It will never be the norm in Football for us. The dome allows us to compete with lesser talent, and Dino's system will work to get us consistent 7-9 win seasons. Just got to give him time.

I think you're being oblivious. We have more been more than fine with Amba, Erv and Ish. But they are all gone now. and we all felt comfortable with Erv and Ish this year because we knew what they were capable of from their junior season. Next season, Butler is not the guy

This. Heck we have some of the best basketball facilities nationally and a HOF coach and can barely get 5 star talent to come to cuse for that sport. It will never be the norm in Football for us. The dome allows us to compete with lesser talent, and Dino's system will work to get us consistent 7-9 win seasons. Just got to give him time.
Couldn't agree more. Mike Leach took time just like any other coach turning around a program as bad as SU or Washington State, or Stanford before Harbaugh. Those programs turnarounds, didn't coincide with signing 4 and 5 star players. Their turnarounds were the result of allowing the coach to stockpile his talent, so that in years 3 and 4 they had the depth to compete. Leach won 12 games in his first 3 years. Won 9 in year 4, 8 in year 5, and 9 so far this year with not much of an upgrade in recruiting. His first class ranked 58th, followed by 50th, 53rd, 56th, and 44th.
Bottom line: When you allow your coach time to stockpile the talent that he selects for what he wants to run, you don't need 4 and 5 star guys to be competitive and go bowling every year.

I think you're being oblivious. We have more been more than fine with Amba, Erv and Ish. But they are all gone now. and we all felt comfortable with Erv and Ish this year because we knew what they were capable of from their junior season. Next season, Butler is not the guy

Time will tell, I just disagree. Lets see what WR's we actually role out for the first game and how they perform.

As far as Butler, he obviously has skill just needs work, not going to give up on the kid, somehow you think a kid from Michigan who has underperformed for 4 years is the answer, not saying he is or isn't but I will defer to Dino here, his track record in this department has been good, if he sees the need to supplement with a 5th year or JUCO guy then great

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Mike Leach took time just like any other coach turning around a program as bad as SU or Washington State, or Stanford before Harbaugh. Those programs turnarounds, didn't coincide with signing 4 and 5 star players. Their turnarounds were the result of allowing the coach to stockpile his talent, so that in years 3 and 4 they had the depth to compete. Leach won 12 games in his first 3 years. Won 9 in year 4, 8 in year 5, and 9 so far this year with not much of an upgrade in recruiting. His first class ranked 58th, followed by 50th, 53rd, 56th, and 44th.
Bottom line: When you allow your coach time to stockpile the talent that he selects for what he wants to run, you don't need 4 and 5 star guys to be competitive and go bowling every year.

Yep and year 4 was the year where you could see a method to the Leach madness, year 3 at WSU was actually a step back. As I have said, I don't think next year is the YEAR, give the guy 5 years as Duke did with Cutcliffe. In addition, when you do that and it builds goodwill on both sides. Dino has shown he has work to do but also shown flashes of brilliance as well, give him time to build before you tear it down, we aren't the SEC

This sounds like you want Babers to make a panic move.

if he can play safety he might be worth a look.

I honestly think our 3 redshirts are going to be decent and 3 more freshman coming in. That's 6 plus any other kid like the JUCO we might add. Not concerned because they didn't play; Ish was a 1st Team All ACC, their touches would've been very limited, so it was better to redshirt them.

If our history is any indicator we've had very good WRs redshirt. Quadry Ismail, Shelby Hill, Kevin Johnson, Quinton Spotwood etc. ...and keep in mind that Mike Williams was a 6-2 205 pound 2 star kid, 2 star, so you just never know.

Our group of 6 have the makeup. There's a noticeable trend with these kids

Ed Hendrix 6-4 195
Anthony Queeley 6-2 195
Taj Harris 6-2 175

Cameron Jordan 6-3 195
Russell Thompson 6-1 200
Sharod Johnson 5-11 170

Slot
Cooper Lutz 6-0 195

I'll take a 3 star with 25+ offers from Arkansas, BC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan St, Missouri, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pitt, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin etc..
That's more than a step in the right direction.

Agreed the offers are more important than how many stars the kid has.

Butlers issue is just calming down before trying take off.. When you only get 1-3 balls a game and 1 of those is contested its hard to relax and let the game come to you.. He also is much more dynamic if he holds onto the ball. I think he has really good upside, still not the real burner we need on the outside though.. We will have 8 kids playing for 2 spots when you include Custis/Butler. Unless Dino has totally whiffed at that recruitment you have to think 2-3 of them can play. the only one he really went after that has seen the field is Johnson and his time was limited but glimpses were pretty bright. I prefer to think coach knows what he had and didnt need putting kids out there for 5-10 plays when he was going to use ISH and Phillips 95% of the snaps anyway.

I've brought this up before, but I'm pretty concerned about the WR position next year after watching Butler in the last few games. I really think the staff needs to bring in a 5th year transfer to help bridge the year to get Hendrix, Jordan, Queeley, etc more experience.

I know finding an Amba is a diamond in the rough but there seems to be some kids starting to announce 5th year transfer. Here's one I think would be an excellent fit:

Anyone think there is any shot the staff contacts him?

Michigan WR Drake Harris plans to transfer for fifth year
I don't think this player has done anything. He's caught two passes in his career?

I don't think this player has done anything. He's caught two passes in his career?
Yeah. Let's not get caught up in the whole, "He came from X football factory, so he'll be good here." The QB we had from Oklahoma, was horrible, and the WR we had transfer from Arkansas was even worse. That being said, I'll take as many WR's as we can. I just wouldn't put too much stock in "player A" is going to be great because he came from "football factory X"
Then again Amba didn't do diddly poo at Maryland so...

Yeah. Let's not get caught up in the whole, "He came from X football factory, so he'll be good here." The QB we had from Oklahoma, was horrible, and the WR we had transfer from Arkansas was even worse. That being said, I'll take as many WR's as we can. I just wouldn't put too much stock in "player A" is going to be great because he came from "football factory X"
Then again Amba didn't do diddly poo at Maryland so...
Amba was a rotation guy and had a few big games. Had he just been the guy he was at Maryland he still would have helped us.

Amba was a rotation guy and had a few big games. Had he just been the guy he was at Maryland he still would have helped us.
I recall Amba coming to Syracuse met with very little fanfare. 10 catches in 2014 for 222 and 20 for 216 in 2015. 94 for 1482 in 2016 with Cuse.
I challenge you to find 1 big game Amba had at Maryland. The best I saw was 5 catches for like 56 yards in 2015. Other than that, if he even recorded a catch, his lines were something like 2 catches for 20 yards. If he came to SU and put up those same numbers as he would have at Maryland, SU wins 1 game last year.
Further proof that you can not underestimate how important it is to match a player to an offensive scheme. I don't think Amba suddenly became so talented that he earned All ACC All America honors. I think Babers saw his target, saw his strengths, and knew he could thrive in his system.

Last edited:
Again, per a reliable source, he is interested in Syracuse, if Syracuse is interested in him. Does anyone on this board know any of the football coaches? Seriously.

Again, per a reliable source, he is interested in Syracuse, if Syracuse is interested in him. Does anyone on this board know any of the football coaches? Seriously.

Yes