WR Ed Hendrix in the transfer portal | Syracusefan.com

WR Ed Hendrix in the transfer portal

If anyone needs a fresh start someplace it’s him. Talk about bad luck. I hope he finds someplace to play and can stay healthy.
Agreed, a G5 or FCS school would allow him to shine.

WR looking strong? Or he just need a fresh start?

WR looking strong? Or he just need a fresh start?
I hope the wr play has improved but I feel he just needed a fresh start. Probably a reason he’s not enrolled in spring.

He should play for old SU assistant Tyrone Wheatley at Morgan State in Baltimore. FCS.

Man so much hype for this kid. I don’t know a thing but this board and it has been hot for Ed Hendrix since day one.
Yeah. He has crazy measureables and then word was he was in line to start before the first injury, if I remember correctly. It was too bad it never came together here.

Is this deja vu? I thought this happened 5 months ago?

Leg injuries suck. If he heals up, he'll still be a fantastic player.

16 To the portal?

how many on the two deep?

in other words the transfers out have been a significant net positive to free up roster spots for better players coming in
We won't know for sure until the end of the season, and things will change between now and the start of the season, but right now, it looks like Syracuse is benefiting quite a bit from the transfer portal.

My biggest concern is that even though we aren't losing many key players, we are still losing a lot of players, and that churn, if not addressed with replacement players very quickly, is going to have an impact on depth and future seasons.

Specifically worried about DEs. They seem to come and go way too much. When the seniors are gone, they are going to be tough to replace without a lot of players who have been in the system a couple of years.

in other words the transfers out have been a significant net positive to free up roster spots for better players coming in
Not just freeing up roster spots but freeing up practice snaps and specials snaps. Its always nice to have back-ups be the ones that actually have a chance to be starters but just need some experience and maybe some added mass instead of guys that will likely never start.

This should theoretically lead to more experienced and talented starters but the depth issue could be a concern. You can't exactly just replace these players with another portal player as they count towards the 25 per class limit if you do so.

We won't know for sure until the end of the season, and things will change between now and the start of the season, but right now, it looks like Syracuse is benefiting quite a bit from the transfer portal.

My biggest concern is that even though we aren't losing many key players, we are still losing a lot of players, and that churn, if not addressed with replacement players very quickly, is going to have an impact on depth and future seasons.

Specifically worried about DEs. They seem to come and go way too much. When the seniors are gone, they are going to be tough to replace without a lot of players who have been in the system a couple of years.
Luckily at DE we have Fuentes, Geer and Simmons coming in the fall to help replenish and all could play DE. Hopefully Moss is still possible as well. The plan for Fuentes could possibly be DT but he could certainly play DE as well. I assume Lockett is mainly just a DT. Besides just depth, the problem
seems to be the starters talent and experience at the position in 2022 as we will have McKinley, Black, Kingsley and Roscoe all leaving at once. That is 3 or 4 of your top players on the DL. There will be very few upperclassmen there looking to fill those spots. It will be very hard to replace that all at the same time. We certainly need to find a way to get some younger guys mixed in quite a bit this year to get them ready for 2022.

Not just freeing up roster spots but freeing up practice snaps and specials snaps. Its always nice to have back-ups be the ones that actually have a chance to be starters but just need some experience and maybe some added mass instead of guys that will likely never start.

This should theoretically lead to more experienced and talented starters but the depth issue could be a concern. You can't exactly just replace these players with another portal player as they count towards the 25 per class limit if you do so.
Always seems like folks point to the unknown.(2cnd QB). A healthy Hendrix could have been fantastic. Jawhar's speed very difficult to replace. Another player would often be the best player on the field, in practice, and was working to get more consistent. Definitely guys that may have been impact starters(and others)as they were putting in the time for their developement. For a handful? I'd call it a coin toss, at best, that their replacement would be better in a few years.

As far as the others? In time, they may hit on a few guys. The short term would see a drop in physicality, and adjustment to the college game, and scheme. That can take time. That's still a short term loss, imo.

If we were replacing with transfers in with P5 game experience? Different story, but I thought Schrader was the only one?

Always seems like folks point to the unknown.(2cnd QB). A healthy Hendrix could have been fantastic. Jawhar's speed very difficult to replace. Another player would often be the best player on the field, in practice, and was working to get more consistent. Definitely guys that may have been impact starters(and others)as they were putting in the time for their developement. For a handful? I'd call it a coin toss, at best, that their replacement would be better in a few years.

As far as the others? In time, they may hit on a few guys. The short term would see a drop in physicality, and adjustment to the college game, and scheme. That can take time. That's still a short term loss, imo.

If we were replacing with transfers in with P5 game experience? Different story, but I thought Schrader was the only one?
16 guys in the portal, 3 guys on the two deep identified. You want to add in Jordan, that’s four.

The other 12 means more room for better players, lifting the bottom of the roster.

I”m not even considering any guys they added when saying it’s been a net positive.

Im with you on this. Some fans have the assumption that the younger guys are always better. The incoming guys are always better lol. When they dont make an early impact they lower their expectations for them and then get excited for the incoming class. lol.

Hendrix had two major leg injuries. That's what slowed him up. Has nothing to do with the undersclassmen being so much more talented. Will guys like Ed, Cam and Jawhar have stellar careers somewhere else? We dont know but saying "we willl be fine losing players and playing guys early" is wishful thinking. Not every transfer is a loss but we cant determine what they could have done as seniors either.

Feel the same. Little worried after this season. I love this class of D lineman we have coming in but we cant assume those guys will be ready to play at a high level in 2022. I will like to see Geer Fuentes and who ever give us some snaps this season. Im hoping Caleb, Harper raise their game up. If that happens then 2022 D line group wont have a big drop off. I heard Linton could be with this group also.

Last edited:
Im with you on this. Some fans have the assumption that the younger guys are always better. The incoming guys are always better lol. When they dont make an early impact they lower their expectations for them and then get excited for the incoming class. lol.

Hendrix had two major leg injuries. That's what slowed him up. Has nothing to do with the undersclassmen being so much more talented. Will guys like Ed, Cam and Jawhar have stellar careers somewhere else? We dont know but saying "we willl be fine losing players and playing guys early" is wishful thinking. Not every transfer is a loss but we cant determine what they could have done as seniors either.
Individual guys might have some impact. I’m looking at the macro impact long term , not just this year.

Would TE and RB be deeper with Hackett and Jordan, sure, but those guys moving on is not a crushing blow to either unit.

Part of being in the plan is being available, Hendrix hasn’t shown that he can be.

Man so much hype for this kid. I don’t know a thing but this board and it has been hot for Ed Hendrix since day one.

He was the best recruit in his class - 18 legit P5 offers. His high school tape lived up to the hype too. Watch some of his HUDL tapes and you'll see why everyone was high on him just like Trill.

Just couldn't stay healthy here. Got injured shortly after arriving and it was all downhill after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom