Class of 2017 - WR Eddie Lewis (NJ) Portal from Memphis to S. Carolina | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR Eddie Lewis (NJ) Portal from Memphis to S. Carolina

Maybe kids in a similar situation will learn that they should commit to their top choice before that school goes another route.

Maybe kids in a similar situation will learn that they should commit to their top choice before that school goes another route.
Yes, in this situation that would make sense. I know that I certainly wouldn't have been ready to pick my college the summer before my Sr. Year.

I mean these kids are being asked to choose before they can even take an OV. The schedule's become so accelerated, the kid's are at a disadvantage right now.

Yes, in this situation that would make sense. I know that I certainly wouldn't have been ready to pick my college the summer before my Sr. Year.

I mean these kids are being asked to choose before they can even take an OV. The schedule's become so accelerated, the kid's are at a disadvantage right now.

A lot of kids commit very early, notice we have what 14 commits right now. Most big name schools have half their classes filled with HS Juniors.

A lot of kids commit very early, notice we have what 14 commits right now. Most big name schools have half their classes filled with HS Juniors.
Yes, the schedule's become accelerated. Doesn't mean it's ideal.

Kids are starting to commit just to hold spots. Then the school can cut bait later if they land a bigger fish, or the kid can flip at the 11th hour. An early signing period is necessary for those that are truly ready.

For those that aren't, they deserve proper time to do their due diligence before making what us most likely the largest decision of their life.

If it were my kid I'd have him commit early, hold the spot and then keep shopping around to make sure. such is life.
I agree, unless you are a top 300 guy, these teams are not going to wait around for you if they have other options. I do think Lewis will find a good team to play for, because you know how it gets toward signing day, but he needs to find a spot to hold and then be patient.

I agree, unless you are a top 300 guy, these teams are not going to wait around for you if they have other options. I do think Lewis will find a good team to play for, because you know how it gets toward signing day, but he needs to find a spot to hold and then be patient.

as long as his grades are in order he'll play for a power 5 team.

i'd also continue to recruitment him in case one of our guys de-commits or doesn't pan out in the classroom.

Come on now, Daewood Davis is a great example. Look how he knew he was going a year or so in advance. :rolleyes:

as long as his grades are in order he'll play for a power 5 team.

i'd also continue to recruitment him in case one of our guys de-commits or doesn't pan out in the classroom.
Based on DeVito's comments I'd be surprised if Lewis even answered calls from our coaching staff after we made him a backup plan.

Based on DeVito's comments I'd be surprised if Lewis even answered calls from our coaching staff after we made him a backup plan.
True, but this may become a very humbling experience for the kid. He may be grateful for the opportunity when all is said and done. Or maybe not.

For many kids depending on the distance and their economic situation that is not true.
Major reason the coaches are in favor of satellite camps.

Yes indeed. The NCAA rule that doesn't allow officials until the kid starts his senior year is not only a bad rule in general but a rule that hurts a team like SU. We certainly have a lot of talent within driving distance (NJ, PA, DMV) but we have traditionally relied on Florida and more recently the Midwest. Would be nice if a kid were allowed to take an official, say, after his junior year has ended. If not a bit earlier .

An early signing period is necessary for those that are truly ready.

This sounds great in theory, but an early signing period would just accelerate the clock even more, IMO.

We have talked about this a lot amongst collegiate baseball coaches (where it isn't uncommon for kids to commit to a school before they play a game in high school) and the consensus is that it would not be a good idea. The reason it COULD work in baseball is because of the scholarships that are offered to players are not fully funded, so they could convince you to sign at this early stage and guarantee the 25% or 50% or whatever.

But, the reason the coaches didn't think it would work in baseball is exactly why it wouldn't work in football. Coaches would put an insane amount of pressure on kids to sign for that early signing day period and I believe it would actually accelerate the schedule even more (junior tape becomes even more important, early signing day will be used as a way to get kids to pay even more money for camps and other things, etc.).

bnoro said:

Isn't that on him and his ego? Babers was just being straight with him. If he's no 2 in the pecking order that's better than being off the list.

Don't burn bridges over ego.

Looks like last night around midnight and then early this morning their national guy went in and updated a few predictions that he was missing. Picked Jordan Wright to Miami too. Doubt these were based on much research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom