Class of 2016 - WR Gehrig Dieter BG transfer | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Gehrig Dieter BG transfer

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard

Internet seems to think he's Bama bound but I thought it was worth a post. I wonder if there's a connection what that alleged recruiting violation from a few weeks ago.

Internet seems to think he's Bama bound but I thought it was worth a post. I wonder if there's a connection what that alleged recruiting violation from a few weeks ago.
From everything I heard this is the kid the rumor was all about. And he already transferred once before to BGSU.

Those stats.
His 2015 stats alone would put him 13th in receptions and 12th in receiving TD on our all time list. Our record books are about to get a makeover.

Why would Alabama screw around with graduate transfers from the MAC? Don't they have 2-3 5 star prospects that they could use to fill any depth issues?

it will be interesting to see how much he plays on that roster and that style of offense.

I guess that by someone bitching over at BG did not stop the transfer anyways.

I thought 'Bama is at the limit anyways,so my next question would be ......Who is the booster paying for that one year there?

It's going to be like nothing we've ever seen.

Wait and watch - you're going to hear the term "video games" a lot.

I'd temper your expectations a bit.

It took Baylor 2-3 years to catch up to the superior talent levels they were playing against. And as this thread indicates, Babers had way above-average talent to work with at BG compared to the competition. Dieter and Lewis were high level, P5 talents competing against MAC DBs. Almost the opposite will be in place at SU during the next couple of years. I do think Ismael is really solid and Estime is serviceable. I suspect Phillips and Strickland will be good once they learn the position. But FSU and Clemson stock up on 4-5 star DBs. Louisville, Va Tech and Notre Dame will all have a lot of backfield talent. Their relative talent is more than we have offensively.

Even Babers has hinted at taking "a step back to take two forward."

Last edited:
I'd tamper your expectations a bit.

It took Baylor 2-3 years to catch up to the superior talent levels they were playing against. And as this thread indicates, Babers had way above-average talent to work with at BG compared to the competition. Dieter and Lewis were high level, P5 talents competing against MAC DBs. Almost the opposite will be in place at SU during the next couple of years. I do think Ismael is really solid and Estime is serviceable. I suspect Phillips and Strickland will be good once they learn the position. But FSU and Clemson stock up on 4-5 star DBs. Louisville, Va Tech and Notre Dame will all have a lot of backfield talent. Their relative talent is more than we have offensively.

Im just as excited as anyone but your absolutely right. Its gonna take time.

So is the feeling Cuse backed off due the potential messiness (tampering threat)? Or did this player want to play on a bigger stage?

Last edited:
For some reason, this keeps popping into my head when I read this kid's name...

a7aaa3dd05083ad25fbe3ec8e54a9d1c.jpg

And his reaction when he heard he was going to 'Bama:

ancRh.jpg

I'd tamper your expectations a bit.

Babers is talking about things in a very intelligent manner. Good on him. Under promise, over deliver.

It's not going to take any time. I'm not saying we're a 6 TD a game juggernaut right away. But we're going from bad offense to slightly above average offense immediately. And in our history, slightly above average offense now is better than the majority of our program's offenses.

The record book is getting rewritten. Period.

Babers is talking about things in a very intelligent manner. Good on him. Under promise, over deliver.

It's not going to take any time. I'm not saying we're a 6 TD a game juggernaut right away. But we're going from bad offense to slightly above average offense immediately. And in our history, slightly above average offense now is better than the majority of our program's offenses.

The record book is getting rewritten. Period.
Yes thats my point. We are not gonna see BG's version of this offense right now. I think most people will agree that we will be better offensively, just not top 5 offense in the nation better. That will take time.

So is the feeling Cuse backed off due the potential messiness (tampering threat)? Or did this player want to play on a bigger stage?
And what does that punk BGSU grad writer have to say about this?

probaly would have had 1 or 2 more wins with another receiving threat opposite Etta Tawo

probaly would have had 1 or 2 more wins with another receiving threat opposite Etta Tawo

I wonder if we would have pursued AET at all if Dieter had been able to come here?

FYI -
Here is Dieter's stats for his 2016 season at Alabama:

Gehrig Dieter

I'm assuming there were a lot of 4star/5star WR targets on the team, which limited the number of times he was targeted for pass plays.

I don't have a problem with somebody wanting to play for Alabama; it probably would have been better for his 2016 stats to go to a school where he would be a bigger fish, though.

FYI -
Here is Dieter's stats for his 2016 season at Alabama:

Gehrig Dieter

I'm assuming there were a lot of 4star/5star WR targets on the team, which limited the number of times he was targeted for pass plays.

I don't have a problem with somebody wanting to play for Alabama; it probably would have been better for his 2016 stats to go to a school where he would be a bigger fish, though.

Absolutely, bama recievers dont get the targets and thus stats historically. Hell, even JJ didn't put up huge numbers simply bc of the offensive approach. Throw in the fact that bama had a LB playing QB this year, a work in progress and yup...he went to bama for name on the Jersey. Didn't do anything for his draft stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom