Class of 2024 - WR Josiah Brown (NY) Verbal to Penn St | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 WR Josiah Brown (NY) Verbal to Penn St

rutgers settling early on NY/ LI kids tells me they are struggling recruiting NJ. They got another kid today. Ian Strong from LI St Anthony's. You know a lot about him?
It appears they have a foothold in a couple NJ programs, but I'd agree with the assessment that they are struggling with the top flight and mid level NJ prospects. Even the Stone kid is wildy inflated.

Could coincide with our seeming reemergence with a whole lot of kids from NJ and the staff member who joined us from them.

BC is a thorn in their side at the moment, and obviously the Big Ten, Pitt, and now SEC programs are scouring the state for talent.

It appears they have a foothold in a couple NJ programs, but I'd agree with the assessment that they are struggling with the top flight and mid level NJ prospects. Even the Stone kid is wildy inflated.

Could coincide with our seeming reemergence with a whole lot of kids from NJ and the staff member who joined us from them.

BC is a thorn in their side at the moment, and obviously the Big Ten, Pitt, and now SEC programs are scouring the state for talent.
All good points.

rutgers settling early on NY/ LI kids tells me they are struggling recruiting NJ. They got another kid today. Ian Strong from LI St Anthony's. You know a lot about him?
I have him as the 25th best player in the state for 2023. 6’4 185. Good not great speed. Offers from Army and LIU.

He is a tweener type. Probably not fast enough to play safety or WR and not remotely heavy enough/strong enough to play LB or TE.

If he works his butt off, he could turn out to be a good player. But it is not a given. There are 10 or 15 players from NYS that are clearly P5 level players. Brathwaite and Strong are not on that list.

Add them to the kid from Hudson Valley they took a couple of weeks ago that had the UConn offer and it looks like Schiano is taking B list players with some interesting qualities (Braithwaite is small and weak but he is fast) and hoping he can develop them. Guessing he wants to sign a bunch of players relatively early in the class to try and convince P5 level players Rutgers is a place they should consider.

It isn’t unusual to take a flyer on a player or two at the end of the recruiting cycle, but it is really strange to be doing it near the start.

If I were a Rutgers fan, I would be concerned.

I have him as the 25th best player in the state for 2023. 6’4 185. Good not great speed. Offers from Army and LIU.

He is a tweener type. Probably not fast enough to play safety or WR and not remotely heavy enough/strong enough to play LB or TE.

If he works his butt off, he could turn out to be a good player. But it is not a given. There are 10 or 15 players from NYS that are clearly P5 level players. Brathwaite and Strong are not on that list.

Add them to the kid from Hudson Valley they took a couple of weeks ago that had the UConn offer and it looks like Schiano is taking B list players with some interesting qualities (Braithwaite is small and weak but he is fast) and hoping he can develop them. Guessing he wants to sign a bunch of players relatively early in the class to try and convince P5 level players Rutgers is a place they should consider.

It isn’t unusual to take a flyer on a player or two at the end of the recruiting cycle, but it is really strange to be doing it near the start.

If I were a Rutgers fan, I would be concerned.
Good points. Thanks for the eval. I will check his film out later. Not because he is a rutgers commit. Only because he is a NYS kid.

btw the Lenny guy that is endorsing all the LI kids is saying Briathwaite is a bona fide 4 star, guaranteed NFL player.

Last edited:
Good points. Thanks for the eval. I will check his film out later. Not because he is a rutgers commit. Only because he is a NYS kid.

btw the Lenny guy that is endorsing all the LI kids is saying Briathwaite is a bona fide 4 star, guaranteed NFL player.
Probably hoping he is so down the line he can mooch off him.

He playing the long game utilizing his son's friends and teammates? Or is he legit just a good parent who wants to see kids do well.

Or both? Good parent who also hopes maybe someday his invested time and money sees a return in some way?

Hard to tell sometimes

Interested in your thoughts on Strong.

Lenny thinks his son, a 6 foot 190 lb 'linebacker' is a 4 star too. He evaluates players like the Rutgers staff.

Don't have to point this out to you but just a general statement regarding getting an honest evaluation of recruits. It is always important to see what the schools in the home state of the recruit do with the players in the state.

If we get a player from Florida and FSU, UM or UF has offered him, I am thrilled. If UCF or USF has offered him, I am pretty happy. If only FIU or FAU has offered, it is time to be really concerned.

None of the three of the project kids Rutgers has taken from NYS recently were offered by Syracuse.

Probably hoping he is so down the line he can mooch off him.

He playing the long game utilizing his son's friends and teammates? Or is he legit just a good parent who wants to see kids do well.

Or both? Good parent who also hopes maybe someday his invested time and money sees a return in some way?

Hard to tell sometimes
It’s probably a little of both. I appreciate people who help kids. His son played youth league with them and he obviously built relationships with them and their families. I am happy these kids have people in their lives that want to see them succeed. There also should be an ounce of humbleness from him. Some of the things Ive heard makes me think he enjoys getting his ego stroked.

Interested in your thoughts on Strong.

Lenny thinks his son, a 6 foot 190 lb 'linebacker' is a 4 star too. He evaluates players like the Rutgers staff.

Don't have to point this out to you but just a general statement regarding getting an honest evaluation of recruits. It is always important to see what the schools in the home state of the recruit do with the players in the state.

If we get a player from Florida and FSU, UM or UF has offered him, I am thrilled. If UCF or USF has offered him, I am pretty happy. If only FIU or FAU has offered, it is time to be really concerned.

None of the three of the project kids Rutgers has taken from NYS recently were offered by Syracuse.
Yup good points. Only kid I really like is Josiah Brown. I thought his soph film was really good. He can be a national recruit. Settling for rutgers just because his best friend is going there would be a bad business move. The Deondre Johnson kid is intriguing. Wouldn’t mind seeing the staff look into him.

Yup good points. Only kid I really like is Josiah Brown. I thought his soph film was really good. He can be a national recruit. Settling for rutgers just because his best friend is going there would be a bad business move. The Deondre Johnson kid is intriguing. Wouldn’t mind seeing the staff look into him.
Haven't seen any film on Deondre Johnson. Never heard of him until RU grabbed him. I usually start tracking players when they are in 9th or 10th grade. Sounds like he was a good basketball player who realized he could be a better football player late and came out of nowhere.

Agree Josiah Brown is terrific. Might end up the fastest football player out of NYS in decades. And he isn't just fast; he can play. Holy Trinity has a couple of other players with P5 potential. That is a school worth following closely.

Haven't seen any film on Deondre Johnson. Never heard of him until RU grabbed him. I usually start tracking players when they are in 9th or 10th grade. Sounds like he was a good basketball player who realized he could be a better football player late and came out of nowhere.

Agree Josiah Brown is terrific. Might end up the fastest football player out of NYS in decades. And he isn't just fast; he can play. Holy Trinity has a couple of other players with P5 potential. That is a school worth following closely.
Yup, when you get schools that become a hotbed out of the blue that means there was a movement to get kids that played youth ball together all on one team. Its easier to do that at a private institution where there is no residential boundaries. I think the new coach at Holy Trinity is tied to E Hall. He might have been a former staff member.

Great having this young man up here on a day we are hopefully close to 40k in the stands and being hella-loud. We show a high powered offense and a packed loud house and that will have to make a great impression. Let him see Anae and Becks influence and a strong locker room.

JOSIAH BROWN 2024 HOLY TRINITY HS, HICKSVILLE LONG ISLAND, NY
#7 WR/DB 6' 175 2024 10.76 100m = 4.4 FAT

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM:
ELITE SPEED
ELUSIVE
EXC JUKES
FATHER TAUGHT HIM EXC TACKLING FORM
HITS VERY HARD

EXC OFFER

Last edited:
Awesome news! Really want this kid. This kid would be dynamite in our offense and love that he is a NY kid. Hopefully he is starting to realize that and sees we now have a great thing going. I think as a program we are really trending up and we have some really solid QB's in the fold who should keep this offense humming for the foreseeable future. Let us feed on some BIG10 poultry this week!

Lenny Parisi is a big Rutgers influencer down there at Erasmus Hall. Nick is his son who he has been working Rutgers hard to offer but he’s in tight w all those Erasmus Hall guys including Caden Brown (SU legacy recruit). Hopefully Caden and his dad will be coming as well.

Lenny Parisi is a big Rutgers influencer down there at Erasmus Hall. Nick is his son who he has been working Rutgers hard to offer but he’s in tight w all those Erasmus Hall guys including Caden Brown (SU legacy recruit). Hopefully Caden and his dad will be coming as well.
Lenny has been on here, hasn't he?

Lenny has been on here, hasn't he?
Yeah he has. Forget which recruiting thread but Lenny took a bunch of kids to something recruiting related and our board started discussing his connections and perhaps how he was steering kids and he caught wind from an RU guy who likes to hang on our recruiting board and that lead to a direct note from Lenny.

Can we follow LSU's lead, and up our photo game. I mean, does it take SEC money to get some decent photo backdrops, maybe some LED lights?

Can we follow LSU's lead, and up our photo game. I mean, does it take SEC money to get some decent photo backdrops, maybe some LED lights?
Agreed. Its the little things that add up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom