Class of 2021 - WR Kendall Long (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Kendall Long (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Not to be a jerk, but playing devils advocate here... Do we really think that our staff and Dino are better at evaluating prospects than other P5 staffs? Because the results haven't really been there on the field. For instance, this kid from SC, do we think that he eventually would have been offered by the likes of South Carolina or Clemson? Georgia? Other blue bloods in the area? I would guess not. If he was on their radar they would have likely offered him, no? Genuinely curious.

This exact scenario happens to us a lot. The giant in-State school misses out on their top guy* start looking down their list at filler types that they can swoop in to get.

*This happens less to Clemson lol

As soon as we offered the AL QB the other day, a bunch of P5 programs all of the sudden started moving in. It's not coincidence.

yup. I think we were 2nd behind Duke and then Nebraska offered a day after we did.

The last three Croots all look like kids we’ll be fighting until the end to hold on to.

Definitely don’t have many Wr’s with his style on our roster. He's pretty smooth and has great body control for his size. Great ball skills. Doesn’t get a lot of separation because he’s not a burner. His best asset is that he’s a big body and he is great at making catches in traffic while contested.

Think he hits full speed after two steps. Won’t get a a chance to do that a lot (get two full steps without getting hit) but when he does will he amazing. He’s a lazy or just not yet acclimated route runner though. To me that will be the biggest issue.

Look at all the kids that we are one of the first two or three offers for. We get all these kids on campus, they're about to commit, and then they blow up. Has been brutal the last few classes with players we ID'd early.

As soon as we offered the AL QB the other day, a bunch of P5 programs all of the sudden started moving in. It's not coincidence.
I think whenever a kid gets a P5 offer from anywhere, everyone looks closer. Not so sure it's an SU thing. The question is:how many of these under the radar guys from previous years have really jumped out? Cisco is the biggest example. How many more are there?

Not to be a jerk, but playing devils advocate here... Do we really think that our staff and Dino are better at evaluating prospects than other P5 staffs? Because the results haven't really been there on the field. For instance, this kid from SC, do we think that he eventually would have been offered by the likes of South Carolina or Clemson? Georgia? Other blue bloods in the area? I would guess not. If he was on their radar they would have likely offered him, no? Genuinely curious.
You are a bad person

:)

Think he hits full speed after two steps. Won’t get a a chance to do that a lot (get two full steps without getting hit) but when he does will he amazing. He’s a lazy or just not yet acclimated route runner though. To me that will be the biggest issue.
Right, he has great straight line speed. At his size its tougher for him to get in and out of his breaks at fast rate.

Last edited:
Notre Dame's AD mentioned he thinks virtual tours/less physical visits for recruits will become more commonplace and could level the field.

Cuse is well-positioned for this. Dino finds another good one!

Notre Dame's AD mentioned he thinks virtual tours/less physical visits for recruits will become more commonplace and could level the field.

If the big boys think it's going to level the playing field, then they will continue to use physical visits, then everyone else will follow. This will not become the new norm. People still want to meet others, see with their own eyes and travel, particularly if the trip is free. I do not buy any of these so-called "new normals" or changes to how our society will be functioning.

If the big boys think it's going to level the playing field, then they will continue to use physical visits, then everyone else will follow. This will not become the new norm. People still want to meet others, see with their own eyes and travel, particularly if the trip is free. I do not buy any of these so-called "new normals" or changes to how our society will be functioning.
100%.

The "new normals" will only last as long as people believe the virus is a serious threat. If we are wearing masks, staying at home, and practicing social distancing after the pandemic is over (just because I MIGHT catch something from someone else) my hope in humanity and for a bright future are over.

They will not become more commonplace. Kids still want to get on campus to be wined and dined and treated like they're the next big thing and coaches know this. Once things open up, you're going to see more kids at schools than you would have before.

We see every year instate kids earn offers in camp or after the season. Its possible any decent instate prospect can earn a offer from a state power
Right, he has great straight line speed. At his size its tougher for him to get in and out of his breaks at fast rate.
Haven't scrolled through each post but generally agree with the assessment. What I thought was interesting -- and I"m by no means any sort of talent scout -- is that the routes he was running look an awful lot like the routes we saw Amba run. Lots of straight line fly-type patters with a lot of WR screens.

Wonder if what they see is a nice system fit with good size. Didn't see him make a lot of tough catches, which he'll have to do. He did catch with his hands but outside of one diving grab on a low throw on an out, I didn't get a great feel for his hands.

Looks like he could potentially be a decent blocker as well. That wouldn't hurt.

All in all, worth the flyer I would think, but his tape didn't jump out to me like the three DL tapes did. Not much wiggle, not a whole lot of explosion. Just a bit bland in that department, which isn't the end of the world but I didn't get the feel he's a high-level athlete who's just under the radar. More of a project that in this system, if he can use his size, could be a valuable piece. Who knows, though, it's one 6-minute tape.

Haven't scrolled through each post but generally agree with the assessment. What I thought was interesting -- and I"m by no means any sort of talent scout -- is that the routes he was running look an awful lot like the routes we saw Amba run. Lots of straight line fly-type patters with a lot of WR screens.

Wonder if what they see is a nice system fit with good size. Didn't see him make a lot of tough catches, which he'll have to do. He did catch with his hands but outside of one diving grab on a low throw on an out, I didn't get a great feel for his hands.

Looks like he could potentially be a decent blocker as well. That wouldn't hurt.

All in all, worth the flyer I would think, but his tape didn't jump out to me like the three DL tapes did. Not much wiggle, not a whole lot of explosion. Just a bit bland in that department, which isn't the end of the world but I didn't get the feel he's a high-level athlete who's just under the radar. More of a project that in this system, if he can use his size, could be a valuable piece. Who knows, though, it's one 6-minute tape.
I agree with your assessment. I saw more things that I liked later in his film. I think the staff see some good raw skills with his size and straight line speed and figured they can get something out of him that can be valuable. I am still surprised they took him this early. I would have thought they waited longer for some other WR's. They must like him.

I agree with your assessment. I saw more things that I liked later in his film. I think the staff see some good raw skills with his size and straight line speed and figured they can get something out of him that can be valuable. I am still surprised they took him this early. I would have thought they waited longer for some other WR's. They must like him.
Agreed. My guess is the reality of recruiting WRs with his size -- and you need some guys with some size -- is that if he's quick in and out of cuts, with elite separation and ball skills, then we're not getting him. So this kid is more of a project but they like him enough and feel like they can work with him. Makes sense. Certainly doesn't preclude them from trying to work the grad transfer/juco markets or bringing in more big WRs down the line.

It's not uncommon for kids to get P5 offers from the home school after another P5 offers. Cooper Dawson comes to mind...right gbo. ;)

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have had to beat out P5 schools for all these kids had they been able to attend camps and perform in person to bigger schools? we’ve seen it happen so many times with our recruits, we’re in on them early, they blow up, and their interest in us fades. in a weird way i think what’s going on right now benefits us on the recruiting front, Dino Babers and co have proven to be incredible talent evaluators and this whole situation gives them the chance to lock up recruits they love that won’t have the opportunity to blow up due to lack of exposure.
I only deal in facts, not hypotheticals.

On top of that it happens in every state, where schools want to see certain players in camps, in games, in person before they pull the trigger.
That's how Clemson does it. It doesn't work like that for all schools though...

That's how Clemson does it. It doesn't work like that for all schools though...
What do you mean? You are saying schools in every state don’t have kids they will like to see in camp before they offer?

What do you mean? You are saying schools in every state don’t have kids they will like to see in camp before they offer?

From what I've read online, Dabo is super picky with who the staff offers. It's part of their "system". I haven't read in depth about it but its a popular topic on CFB reddit. I'm guessing Dabo might be less inclined to offer kids the staff hasnt seen yet? I think thats the point gbo is making.

From what I've read online, Dabo is super picky with who the staff offers. It's part of their "system". I haven't read in depth about it but its a popular topic on CFB reddit. I'm guessing Dabo might be less inclined to offer kids the staff hasnt seen yet? I think thats the point gbo is making.
I wasn’t insinuating that. I was just adding on to the reason why some of our commits didn’t have instate offers. Of course the top tier programs can be picky. Teams like Clemson recruits national 4/5 stars.