Class of 2019 - WR Kevin Mital (CN) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (8/9/19) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 WR Kevin Mital (CN) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (8/9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the article translated (via google translate):

In a turnaround, Kevin Mital won an appeal at the NCAA eligibility office and will continue his career with Syracuse's Orange. After the refusal of the clearing house, the Orange has appealed the record of the star receiver Phénix André-Grasset. The positive response fell on Thursday, and Mital will head to Syracuse as soon as he receives his student visa. He could join his new team as early as the weekend or at the latest on Monday or next Tuesday. Initially, the NCAA rejected Mital's request because it only counted credits earned in his first two years at André-Grasset and he missed two successful courses this winter. The receiver and Orange have pleaded ignorance about this rule that affects international students.

"Syracuse is a big program that went to war for Kevin," said Phoenix head coach Tony Iadeluca. If Syracuse had not been on appeal, the file would have been closed and Kevin would already be in Laval. Kevin worked hard this winter to pass the necessary courses. He missed the first ten days of training camp, but the head coach told me he did not intend Kevin to be a "red shirt" (reservist) in his first season. We'll see. I was told that a coach will be assigned to Kevin at the beginning to allow him to learn the game book as soon as possible. Their first match is only August 26th. " "Officially, this is the first Grasset player to sign in the NCAA," added Iadeluca. Jonathan (Sénécal) is committed to UConn, but it is not yet official because he has to wait to sign his letter of intent. "

Although he had received five scholarship offers (UMass, UConn, Maine, Tennessee Tech and Syracuse), Mital had decided to join the Rouge et Or if it did not work with Orange.

"He visited June 30 and his apartment was ready," said Rouge et Or head coach Glen Constantin. We were his plan B if he lived in Canada. His coming would have been a very good catch, but I'm happy for the young person who realizes a dream. He joins a very good program, which is not negligible. "

If the appeal had been rejected, Mital should have crossed the NCAA forever. The receiver concluded his collegiate career last year with 48 receptions for gains of 1058 yards and 17 touchdowns, two highs in Division 1. He was crowned player par excellence in the 41-17 victory of the Phoenix at Bol d'Or. Or against the Élans de Garneau in November at the Claude-Robillard Center.

We never know what our coaches have up their sleeves. Makes sense as Courtney Jackson was the lone WR of 2019 class correct?
Correct. If nothing else good for roster balance.

Kid is supposedly 6-2 and 210 pounds and FAST. Major league athlete.

Takes some of the sting out of losing out on Gowdy.

When I saw his ht/wt and his highlights, I thought the same thing! I wonder if some of the eligibility concerns kept some of the bigger programs away. Fighting for him has to help us continue to look good for future recruiting out of the Great White North!

Kid is supposedly 6-2 and 210 pounds and FAST. Major league athlete.

Takes some of the sting out of losing out on Gowdy.
I have no issues grabbing elite Canadians every year. This is like a whole area that is barely touched. So important based on our geographic location. So smart by the staff. Work smarter not harder!

Can he play this year or is he more likely to be used for 4 games and a redshirt?

He CAN play this year, no different from any incoming frosh. However, he's already missed practice time, and he's entering a deep WR room, so I'd expect a redshirt.
Yeah if he has speed use him on special teams as a gunner or something like that.
With the 4 game rule kids like this should see the field in the Holy Cross and Western Michigan games at home.
Whom we should have big leads against.

Yeah if he has speed use him on special teams as a gunner or something like that.
With the 4 game rule kids like this should see the field in the Holy Cross and Western Michigan games at home.
Whom we should have big leads against.

Or, by the time he's up to speed on the offense, he can play the last 3-4 games (including the bowl).

Status
Not open for further replies.