Class of 2020 - WR Malick Meiga (QC) Portal from Penn St | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Malick Meiga (QC) Portal from Penn St

People have to understand its hard to recruit to Syracuse. Sometimes the better recruiters are not able to solidify verbals. We have to keep winning.
Did we have sustained success leading up to 1987? I think we’re all overselling the win factor here just a bit. We need to flip Beatty from Maryland NOW. Monroe can’t do it all by himself. We need closers.
1987 was over 30 years ago. Things have changed. Harder to hide kids now with social media, hudl film, 7v7 events, recruiting sites and camps. Kids are not restricted to a few channels. They see a lot of winning teams and systems. That makes it easier to be influenced by the bright lights and teams that consistently win. The kids these days want immediate gratification.. They want to play with winners. If you don't think consecutive winning seasons don't play a huge part then I don't know what to tell you. We lose recruiting battles with teams that consistently win. We lost our influence in NJ and other kids to rutgers when they started winning. Taken Dino 4 years and It took Mac five years to get 87's results. You don't think the success of that team led to them getting better recruits?

I don’t fault recruits. It’s ancient history to them. I fault PSU fans for igniting their legacy of shame.
I feel the same. Not all, but an alarming number of PSU fans were so upset with the loss of wins for Joe Paterno, even after it became perfectly clear he knew for decades.

I was never 100% onboard for taking wins away. Hell, the NCAA probably didn’t even need to be involved. (Just the police.) PSU won those games, as shameful as that is to admit. And that is the at the crux of my problem with the whole thing. PSU itself, administration, fans, etc, should have been ready to admit the horrendous environment ignored for so long. There should have been, embarrassment, shame, and sincere penitence on their part. Instead, they denied, squabbled over protecting the image of those responsible, and rallied to defend a dirty program. The fans should have self-imposed a boycott of the program. Instead they went 180 degrees the other way. It didn’t hurt PSU one bit. And it should have.

People have to understand its hard to recruit to Syracuse. Sometimes the better recruiters are not able to solidify verbals. We have to keep winning.
Did we have sustained success leading up to 1987? I think we’re all overselling the win factor here just a bit. We need to flip Beatty from Maryland NOW. Monroe can’t do it all by himself. We need closers.
1987 was over 30 years ago. Things have changed. Harder to hide kids now with social media, hudl film, 7v7 events, recruiting sites and camps. Kids are not restricted to a few channels. They see a lot of winning teams and systems. That makes it easier to be influenced by the bright lights and teams that consistently win. The kids these days want immediate gratification.. They want to play with winners. If you don't think consecutive winning seasons don't play a huge part then I don't know what to tell you. We lose recruiting battles with teams that consistently win. We lost our influence in NJ and other kids to rutgers when they started winning. Taken Dino 4 years and It took Mac five years to get 87's results. You don't think the success of that team led to them getting better recruits?
Of course 87 was pivotal. All I’m saying is Dino and swag daddy are not enough if we want to see higher rated classes. If we’re ok with classes in the 40s and 50s and hoping our S&C make up the difference that’s fine if you want our ceiling to be top 25. I want to shoot a little higher.

Now you've topped yourself in uninformed posts. If you think that Monroe is the only closer on the staff you don't have a clue. And the ultimate closer is always going to be Babers.
Enlighten the unwashed then - how did we get good players that assembled the 1987 squad without any real prior success in the 80s? According to the board we have no chance at 4-star talents unless we keep winning 10 games a year.
I was commenting on your thinking that Monroe is the only closer or good recruiter on the staff. That is false.
Both stanard and Ferri seem to be doing a good job. Of course Dino’s a closer.

Beatty, Franklin, and locksley are formidable. OSU added Hafley. All A+ recruiters. Our coaches will need to really step up.
That’s precisely where we need to open the pocket books. Need to get more of those guys.

Of course 87 was pivotal. All I’m saying is Dino and swag daddy are not enough if we want to see higher rated classes. If we’re ok with classes in the 40s and 50s and hoping our S&C make up the difference that’s fine if you want our ceiling to be top 25. I want to shoot a little higher.
I am as critical as anyone when the staff lose out on a kid. I also know its not easy recruiting kids to snowy Syracuse. I can tell you that Monroe is not the only good recruiter. Reno, Lustig and Reynolds are good. Ward is solid. Lewis was a big loss. Beatty is not going to change the dynamics of our recruiting. He will also be expensive. He might be able to convince a few more DMV kids to come but we can get them anyways if we consistently win. When we won 9 games 3 years in a row ( 95-97) we were able to get some big time commits from parade All Americans like Morant, Mungro and Spotwood.

My stance is that you always try to get more of the best. Get as many of the best coaches, recruiters and players you can get. I agree, thats how you have sustained success. Don't forget you need money to get and keep great recruiters. Good coaching and a established philosophy can win you a lot of games vs teams with more talent though. Lets not act like that can't happen either.

I am as critical as anyone when the staff lose out on a kid. I also know its not easy recruiting kids to snowy Syracuse. I can tell you that Monroe is not the only good recruiter. Reno, Lustig and Reynolds are good. Ward is solid. Lewis was a big loss. Beatty is not going to change the dynamics of our recruiting. He will also be expensive. He might be able to convince a few more DMV kids to come but we can get them anyways if we consistently win. When we won 9 games 3 years in a row ( 95-97) we were able to get some big time commits from parade All Americans like Morant, Mungro and Spotwood.

My stance is that you always try to get more of the best. Get as many of the best coaches, recruiters and players you can get. I agree, thats how you have sustained success. Don't forget you need money to get and keep great recruiters. Good coaching and a established philosophy can win you a lot of games vs teams with more talent though. Lets not act like that can't happen either.
Right there you list 5 coaches who are solid recruiters, not to mention the work of the recruiting department. Hopefully that will help correct some folks misconception that Coach Monroe is doing it all by himself.

All will be forgotten when we land Kentron, and everybody sees how good mid-three star’s C. Jackson and Queeley are.

Last edited:

Must be different rules in Canada/International prospects. The Dead Period doesn't end until tomorrow.

MALICK MEIGA PORTAL FROM P STATE
# 1 WR 6' 4" 195 / 4.42 40 CEGEP DU VIEUX HS, MONTREAL, CANADA/ 38 CATCHES 880 YDS
6TDS AS A SENIOR
images (99).jpg

GREAT ROUTE RUNNER/ EXCEPTIONAL CHANGE OF DIRECTION THROWING OFF DB'S

YOU HAVE TO GO IF THEY WON'T LET YOU PLAY. HIS FILM ON GOOGLE 247 IS EXCELLENT.

GREAT ROUTE RUNNER/EXCELLENT HANDS, CATCHES EVERYTHING.

HE HAS GREAT CHANGE OF DIRECTION ON ROUTES WHICH ARE MOSTLY GO DUE TO HIS SPEED.

WHAT A WASTE OF TALENT AT PST!

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

RECYDSAVGTDLNGCARYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST

Another fifth-year Penn State wide receiver intends to explore college football options beyond Happy Valley. Redshirt senior Malick Meiga entered the NCAA Transfer Portal on Tuesday.​

# 1 WR 6' 4" 195 / 4.42 40 CEGEP DU VIEUX HS, MONTREAL, CANADA/ 38 CATCHES 880 YDS
6TDS AS A SENIOR
View attachment 240048

HE HAS GREAT CHANGE OF DIRECTION ON ROUTES WHICH ARE MOSTLY GO DUE TO HIS SPEED.

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

Another fifth-year Penn State wide receiver intends to explore college football options beyond Happy Valley. Redshirt senior Malick Meiga entered the NCAA Transfer Portal on Tuesday.​

If Fran stays at least 5 years Penn St will no longer be the beast of the East. Fran will take the bully's lunch money.

6TDS AS A SENIOR
View attachment 240048

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

Scum.

No thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom