Class of 2021 - WR Marvin Harrison Jr (PA) Committed to Ohio State/Declares for the Draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Marvin Harrison Jr (PA) Committed to Ohio State/Declares for the Draft

This thread will be a MESS

This thread will be a MESS

A little more information about Marvin “Dad” Harrison in the NFL and SU. Marvin Jr has some huge shoes to fill. I noticed in the film that Jr catches everything thrown to him with soft hands then pulls it into his body which is a very good thing. Maybe Sr has been working with him. He does not look like a freshman in his film – more mature than that – decent speed, taller than Sr who was 6' 185 at SU and the NFL.

• Indianapolis Colts (1996–2008)
  • Super Bowl champion (XLI)
  • 8× Pro Bowl (1999–2006)
  • 3× First-team All-Pro (1999, 2002, 2006)
  • 5× Second-team All-Pro (2000, 2001, 2003–2005)
  • 2× NFL receiving yards leader (1999, 2002)
  • NFL receiving touchdowns co-leader (2005)
  • 2× NFL receptions leader (2000, 2002)
  • NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
  • Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor
  • All-Big East (1995)
NFL
REC : 1,102

REC YDS: 14,580

TDS: 128

Pro Football Hall of Fame

Marvin Darnell Harrison (born August 25, 1972) is a former American football wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Syracuse University, and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the first round of the 1996 NFL Draft. He spent all 13 of his NFL seasons with the Colts, most of them with quarterback Peyton Manning, and is widely considered as one of the greatest and most productive wide receivers in NFL history.[1] He earned a Super Bowl ring with the team in Super Bowl XLI over the Chicago Bears.

Harrison was a Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist for the Classes of 2014 and 2015 before being elected in 2016, the same year his former coach Tony Dungy was voted into the Hall.[2]

College career:
Harrison attended Syracuse University, where he was a three-year starter for the Syracuse Orange football team, playing with quarterback Donovan McNabb in his final year. Harrison set a school record with 2,718 career receiving yards and ranked second in school history with 20 receiving touchdowns to Rob Moore. Harrison graduated with a degree in Retail Management.[3]

SU STATS:

G GS REC YDS AVG TD
1992 - 10 0 2 13 6.5 0

1993 - 11 9 41 813 19.1 7

1994 - 10 10 36 761 21.1 5

1995 - 11 11 56 1,131 20.1 8

Totals 42 30 135 2,718 20.1 20

Said it before and will say it again. It is a “romantic sentiment “ to have the child of a former player follow in his parents footsteps. While I would love to have the young man here, I have zero issue if the son who also shares the fathers name wants to create his “own name” and legend at another school. I mean we already have posters trying to compare their catching style. To me college is hard enough, playing sports is harder, following in your All pro, all college, hall of fame fathers footsteps must be tremendously difficult and if the son doesn’t match the father on the field, it is usually the fans that start pounding on the young men first. Would it be great if “our fan fantasies about legacies “ came true with junior? Sure but I have tons of respect for the young man if he wants to hoe his own road. Good luck to him and no matter what I will be following this young mans career.

Said it before and will say it again. It is a “romantic sentiment “ to have the child of a former player follow in his parents footsteps. While I would love to have the young man here, I have zero issue if the son who also shares the fathers name wants to create his “own name” and legend at another school. I mean we already have posters trying to compare their catching style. To me college is hard enough, playing sports is harder, following in your All pro, all college, hall of fame fathers footsteps must be tremendously difficult and if the son doesn’t match the father on the field, it is usually the fans that start pounding on the young men first. Would it be great if “our fan fantasies about legacies “ came true with junior? Sure but I have tons of respect for the young man if he wants to hoe his own road. Good luck to him and no matter what I will be following this young mans career.

True but one cool thing is that he can tell his dad that he had more catches in his freshman year than his dad did in his whole career at SU.

All good points. Candidly, I could care less that he's a legacy. Watch his film. Watch the body control, how quick he gains on corners, etc. He's playing at a very high level for HS football. It's really quiet evident that he is going to be a big time recruit (genetics are obviously there too). His being a legacy is a nice little hook for SU recruiting, that's all.

IMO, it wouldnt matter if he was McNabb's son, Harrison's son, an Ismail, Jim Brown's grandson etc., he will never receive half the criticism/scorn/admiration playing here as he will if he goes to a football factory. Let's not overblow the legacy bit either way.

Being a legacy typically increases the odds of landing a recruit (I’d love to see some analytic on this).
We rarely sign a true blue chip recruit.
Looks like this kid may turn out to be a blue chipper.
This is a unique opportunity for us to bring in this type of talent.
It will feel like a missed opportunity if he goes elsewhere.
Some people will go nuts if that happens.

How many football son legacies have we missed on...Rob Gronkowski ?

How many football sons have attended? Scott Schwedes?

Others?

Let this recruitment play out.
In Dino’s system I trust anyway.
Baylor made its system work and then it started getting Josh Gordon, Terrance Williams, Corey Coleman types.
Our system will interest WR prospects.

How many football son legacies have we missed on...Rob Gronkowski ?

How many football sons have attended? Scott Schwedes?

Others?

Ehrlmann, Sweat, Spinney? I am probably not the best source but seems like enough.

Ishaq Williams. Corey Holmes.

Who'd we get - Kimmel (not sure about other offers), MacPherson (though I dont think he had any other offers).

We have a legacy recruit this class with that running back out of Georgia (Brown?).

By the time he’s ready to commit i’d hope we’ve asserted ourselves as a top 5 player for WR production. (Amba and Ish were nice but we gotta keep it up)
We have a nice stable started already Maybe not Top % but some good ones.

All good points. Candidly, I could care less that he's a legacy. Watch his film. Watch the body control, how quick he gains on corners, etc. He's playing at a very high level for HS football. It's really quiet evident that he is going to be a big time recruit (genetics are obviously there too). His being a legacy is a nice little hook for SU recruiting, that's all.

IMO, it wouldnt matter if he was McNabb's son, Harrison's son, an Ismail, Jim Brown's grandson etc., he will never receive half the criticism/scorn/admiration playing here as he will if he goes to a football factory. Let's not overblow the legacy bit either way.
Good points as well. You get no argument from me on the talent side of the discussion Sherm. Agree with the hook as well. I can see a number of posters going off the deep end with this young man though if he does not join Cuse, especially if as expected we stay in his top 5. Taking legacy out of the narrative, I think Dino has something to sell Harrison that is pretty good if we can notch a few bowl wins between now and decision time.

Ehrlmann, Sweat, Spinney? I am probably not the best source but seems like enough.
Spinney spurned us late. I always felt his career here would have been greater than BC. He was a big loss at the time, but ended as a rotation player for BC

Ishaq Williams. Corey Holmes.

Who'd we get - Kimmel (not sure about other offers), MacPherson (though I dont think he had any other offers).

We have a legacy recruit this class with that running back out of Georgia (Brown?).

This will be tougher than expected. As flaky as MH Sr. Has been since graduation at Cuse, no mystery why he WOULD guide Jr away from Cuse to start his own legacy. That's the trend these days anyways.

He is one smooth looking athlete. These are the WR's we are going to need to land to take this offense to the next level.