Class of 2016 - WR/SS Kolton Huber (NJ) Verbal to Penn | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR/SS Kolton Huber (NJ) Verbal to Penn

CuseLegacy

Steve Huber‏@SHuber_77 33m
@k_huber10 excited to watch my boy Kolton compete a Syracuse football camp today !!!

2016 WR/SS Kolton Huber, St. Peters Prep

Last edited:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...s-father-in-the-football-state-champion-club/

It was around 5 a.m. on Friday morning.
Steve Huber prepared for his morning routine. He hopped out of bed, took a look at his calendar and knew already it was the day his son, Kolton Huber, a junior wide receiver for St. Peter’s Prep, would be playing for a state championship.
Steve Huber did a double take, though. The date read Dec. 5. For some, it might just be any other day. Not for him.
Indeed, Steve Huber was a two-way lineman for Piscataway’s 1981 Central Jersey, Group 4 championship team, playing under the direction of legendary Chiefs coach Tom Higgins. Current Piscataway coach Dan Higgins was also on that championship team.
And on Friday night, Steve Huber was one of the hundreds of St. Peter’s Prep fans watching on as the Marauders defeated Paramus Catholic 34-18 for the Non-Public, Group 4 title.
“This is really exciting for Kolton,” Steve Huber said. “We were excited for him last year, but we came up a little short. He started last year as a sophomore, but he’s been more involved this season.”
You can say that again. On Friday night, Huber had the game-changing play for St. Peter’s Prep, blocking a punt and returning it 43 yards for a touchdown. It’s a moment both father and son won’t soon forget.
"That was definitely by far the best play of my career," Huber said. "I told Coach Mike Katz (special teams) that if we ran silver block on punt rush, I was going to take it to the house and that's exactly what I did. He asked me to promise him I'd block it and I did it just for him."
The play might have been for Katz, but the win was for the family.
“This is such a great bond for us,” Kolton Huber said. “My brother wanted to win one, but he wasn’t able to. I promised him and my dad I’d get it done. Although my dad won a championship, he never got a ring. I wanted to make sure I got one for us and make my family proud.”
The 6-1, 190-pounder did just that.
“We’re a football family,” Steve Huber said. “My older son, Shane, was all-state at St. Peter’s Prep and graduated two years ago. He plays at UMass now. We’re all excited for Kolton. This is an exciting moment for us all.
“This is a special group of young men. This is a special night. I told Kolton that this is the kind of opportunity where he and his teammates can make memories that will last them a lifetime.”
Mission accomplished.

Kolton Huber ‏@k_huber10 5m5 minutes ago
Blessed to receive an offer from Syracuse University today #cuse
1f34a.png

The bad news: he's tight with Anthony Brown so a commit wouldn't surprise me.
The good news: he's pretty clearly been a Plan B for us from the start, so it wouldn't be a particularly brutal blow if he commits.

(No, this isn't building in an excuse. We pretty clearly have about 6-7 guys ahead of him on our board - Matthews, Irvin, Harmon, Darby, Stewart, Coleman, and probably KJ Gray...and right now I'd say Coleman and Gray are probably Plan B options as well)

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...llege-visit-will-camp-at-stanford-on-tuesday/

By Braulio Perez | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on June 15, 2015 11:28 AM

It’s been a busy last 10 days for St. Peter’s Prep wide receiver Kolton Huber. On Saturday, June 7, the senior tripped to Boston College to participate in a team camp. While in Boston, he also had the chance to check out the campus.

And the visit that went quite well, Huber told NJ.com.

“After the camp, my parents and I had the chance to talk with coach (Steve) Addazio and he told us a lot of good things about the program and the school.

“I had been up there twice before and the campus is beautiful. We actually went up a day early (Friday) to celebrate my dad’s birthday. Then on Saturday we checked out the campus an my whole family loved it.”

Huber, who currently holds offers from Syracuse, Kansas, UConn and Buffalo, is still waiting on Boston College to pull the trigger and give him a scholarship.

“I think they are just waiting a little bit,” Huber said. “They are limited on the scholarships they can send out, so I think they’re being a little cautious. They want to make sure everything is set in stone before they offer someone.”

In 2014, Huber caught 46 passes for 603 yards and six touchdowns for the Marauders. In 2015, he will also see extensive time at safety, which is where some colleges are also recruiting him, he said.

On Tuesday, the 6-1, 190-pounder will camp at Stanford and then later this week he will be taking a trip to the University of Maryland.

“I don’t really have any favorites right now,” Huber said. “I’m open to all the different schools that are recruiting me. They all offer different opportunities. I know I’m going to want to visit a school first, though, before deciding.

“I haven’t talked to coach (Rich) Hansen about a timeframe for a decision yet either. I still want to see what opportunities I have during the season. I’m open and available at any time to commit. I just need to find the right fit.”

Huber added that you can expect to see a completely different player in the fall.

“During the offseason, I really worked on my vertical speed and my ability to stretch the field,” Huber said. “That’s what I wanted to focus on. I played with some 7-on-7 teams and ran track. Those two things helped me improve. I definitely improved my speed.”