Class of 2021 - WR Tar'varish Dawson Jr (FL) Portal from Auburn | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Tar'varish Dawson Jr (FL) Portal from Auburn

Four Auburn wide receivers recently entered the portal, with Dawson being the fastest of the group. Speed is always intriguing, so it is not surprising that he has received plenty of early interest. A few of the FBS schools that are in the picture already include Indiana, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Purdue, SMU, UCF, Houston, James Madison and Arkansas State.

I hope this guy's awesome if we get him, but so far he's caught 2 career passes.

Or half of Taj's career reception total at Buttgers.

I hope this guy's awesome if we get him, but so far he's caught 2 career passes.

How many did the Maryland WR have prior to his one year at SU?

LOL

Well, so much for that point.
Was asking. Still not a ton, and had 4 years to get to 30. This kid has had half that at a better school.

SUfan44, I apologize -- I reread this thread, and I mistook the point you were making.

I don't mean this to be argumentative, but in any universe that employs math, how are these two data points comparable? One kid had 30 receptions, the other supposedly has 2.

I fully acknowledge that there may be something I'm missing with respect to this calculation, but not sure what point you're trying to make.
Opportunity is a big thing. Just saying Etta Tawo wasn’t very productive in his years. Just because the kid has 2 catches doesn’t mean he isn’t someone to get excited about. He was a redshirt freshman this year and was in the mix to play at an SEC school.

HS video
TARVARISH DAWSON//// AUBURN TRANSFER//3 YEARS OF ELIGIBILITY REMAINING

Tar'Varish Dawson Jr

Tar'varish Dawson Jr.​

• Height:5-11
  • Position:Wide Receiver
  • Weight:165
  • Class:Freshman
  • Hometown:Fort Myers, Fla.
  • High School:Lehigh Senior

Summary​

Speedy receiving target who excelled on both sides of the ball for the Lehigh Lightning … 28 receptions for 690 yards with 9 TD catches and 290 rushing yards with 6 TD runs plus 7 INT, an INT and PR score as a senior for Coach James Chaney … second-team all-Florida … Rotary South All-Star Classic … News-Press all-area … one of the top 60 overall prospects in Florida by 24/7, ESPN, Rivals, PrepStar … No. 14 athlete nationally by 24/7 … district and regional sprint champion
9584938.jpg

Tar'varish Dawson​

NCAA

H.S. Scouting Report​

EVALUATED 04/24/2020​

Andrew Ivins

Andrew IvinsSOUTHEAST RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION​

UFA

COMPARISON​

Javaris Davis AUBURN TIGERS

On the smaller side, but body is still growing and filling out. Lightening fast not only on the track with a 10.58 in the 100-meter dash, but also on the football field. Being recruited by some schools to play cornerback at the next level and others to catch passes as a wide receiver. Can flip his hips and spring in any direction. Solid ball skills. Dangerous in the return game. Will need to get more physical in college. Also needs to improve open-field tackling if he’s going to be a defensive guy. Just an overall speedy playmaker that should be able to make an impact somewhere for a Power 5 program once he settles on a position. NFL potential given how he moves.

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM:

VERY FAST - RUNS A 4.4 40
GREAT HANDS
CATCHES ALMOST EVERYTHING
EXC JUKES/MOVES
IN HS PLAYED WR/DB/QB
PLAY HIM AT WR
NEEDS WEIGHT/ MUSCLE WEIGHT

Last edited:
I say get him up there and show the dome and get to know him and see if he fits our team and go from there.
He'll fit our system if he can contribute and catch many passes - already has the speed and moves to get behind DB's.

He can't catch passes if they don't play him. Obviously he's transferring for a reason. He's not being asked to be on the field enough or some other reason I don't know about?

Either way he looks like a great addition IMO.

A HA! This may answer some questions:

Auburn’s receiving corps is one of the biggest question marks going into the 2022 football season.

For Auburn’s offense to thrive against the best defenses college football has to offer in the SEC, the Tigers will need somebody in the receiver room to have a break-out season. From what we know about spring practice, Tar'varish Dawson could be that guy. Dawson, who was a 4-star recruit out of high school, is entering his redshirt freshman season and had an excellent spring.

Reasons for Breakout​

Dawson is a speed demon. In high school, he ran a 10.58 second 100-meter dash and we have already seen this speed translate to the field as well. In the Birmingham bowl Dawson ran by a Houston cornerback like he was standing still only to have the ball overthrown, and in A-day Dawson got separation deep downfield vs. the nickel, and TJ Finley threw him a great ball only to be dropped.

Dawson has also been described as a playmaker by the coaching staff this spring. Dawson is listed as 5-foot-10, 161 pounds, so look for the coaching staff to get him the ball in creative ways. Whether that be used in the slot to avoid press coverage, speed sweeps to get him on the edge as we saw on A-day, or in condensed sets on jet sweep plays as we also saw in the spring game.

If it doesn’t happen this year​

The main knock on Dawson has been his drops, and we saw evidence in the spring game. Dawson is also slightly underweight right now, although he appears to have long arms and legs. He may need another year to put on weight before he is ready to truly start taking over games as a breakout receiver.

However, if Dawson can limit drops, continue to grow in the offense, and if the offensive staff can find creative ways to get him the ball in space then Auburn could have a true game-changer on the outside. Auburn needs a receiver to step up and be ready for the big moments and Tarvarish Dawson could be that guy.

WHATEVER HAPPENS IF HE GETS INTO OUR PROGRAM HE NEEDS TO GET INTO THE WEIGHT ROOM AND WORK AT RECEIVING THE BALL W/O DROPS> PUT HIM WITH A JUGS GUN FOR 100 REPS A DAY.

10.58 IS A 4.4 HIGH - STILL VERY FAST

Last edited:
He can't catch passes if they don't play him. Obviously he's transferring for a reason. He's not being asked to be on the field enough or some other reason I don't know about?

Either way he looks like a great addition IMO.
Yeah I'd be optimistic due to the high school offers and that he's a young player.

Trishton Jackson had 10 catches at Michigan State. Not a ton. He had one of our most prolific seasons ever, so it's not perfectly predictable.

On the other side, Hayes didn't do much at MSU, he's not even in the rotation here.

All things considered, there are different kinds of transferred. Ones with some track record - Price. Ones with little track record but reasons to believe he's good because of offers/rankings - CD-RW. The unicorn is the dude that has track record and ranking.

He's a freshman playing at an SEC school. I'm not sure lack of p.t. should be a concern at this point.

He's a freshman playing at an SEC school. I'm not sure lack of p.t. should be a concern at this point.
I think folks are taking my observation to be much, much harsher than I intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom