WR | Syracusefan.com

WR

shizzah

Scout Team
Strange game for them. However I think they look good. Trishton had to deal with a few difficult opportunities and Taj - he’s fun to watch. Always looking for the home run. I’m ok with that. Nothing for Riley or Johnson really. Maybe because of the coverage.

Strange game for them. However I think they look good. Trishton had to deal with a few difficult opportunities and Taj - he’s fun to watch. Always looking for the home run. I’m ok with that. Nothing for Riley or Johnson really. Maybe because of the coverage.
Its bad when coverage is a possible explanation, versus holy cross.

Harris had some nice plays but he basically just ran east west against inferior talent. Against better players, that doesn't work.

Overall it's encouraging seeing plays made though by Harris. As I said already... slot wideouts are simply non-existent.

Did Riley play outside of specials today?

Neal would have been a better version of Phillips in the slot. We need players who are 5-10 or bigger with some wiggle capabilities.

It’s tough for 3 WR to get open when they drop 8.
We have to keep leaking out a TE or RB when they do that or run with Tommy.

It’s tough for 3 WR to get open when they drop 8.
We have to keep leaking out a TE or RB when they do that or run with Tommy.
Agree whole heartily on that. I saw many times in the game where they dropped 6-8 to cover our 3 when all we had to do was slide the TE or the RB out for a relief valve for TD.

Teams want to make us beat them with our run game. They know our OLine can't block.
Hard to send TEs out when we need everyone to block. Works a few times but can backfire if we try it too often. ACC defenses aren't Holy Cross.

I am blown away that for a position that seemed like a strength, it’s TJ and a little of Harris and nothing else. For a fifth senior and Johnson to disappear is weird.

I say this every week so I sound like the poster boy for a broken record. Where is Anthony Queeley and Courtney Jackson? Also missing Sharod Johnson, Cam Jordan, Cooper Lutz, Russell Thomspon Bishop. Syracuse continuously plays the same four and yet are only getting production from 1.5. We all know who the 1.0 is and I'm pretty sure you know who the inconsistent .5 is. The other two are ghosts out there. There are 14 scholarship wide outs/slot receivers on that team. That is including injured Ed Hendrix. Subtract him and you still have eight other wide receivers to choose from . The odds of them all being that bad that they can't see the field has to be very minimal. If that is the case, then why did you recruit them to begin with. The position group that is among the most important to the team and one of the ones that has the highest number of players is the least utilized. I give up, you tell me. I know somebody is going to say "These are the best they have and the other guys are not good enough to play." Then my reply is the same as I said earlier in my rant. Then why in the hell did they recruit them. That position group other than T. Jackson needs to step it up big time or this season is going to go down as just another disappointing season that we have become so used to for 19 out of the last twenty years.

I just don’t see how the slot talent of both Riley and Nykeim could have diminished that much from last year. Putting in other WR’s is probably not the solution as Dino knows who is the most talented. While we are not uner talented at WR It’s just more likely that talent is not the main issue. The main problems are the OL production and change in QB. When you can’t look productive running the ball against an undersized Holy Cross squad there is a problem. An ineffective OL makes everything else on offense look worse. We can’t run block well enough and some teams have dropped more DB’s in coverage. Plus Devito has had some issues too. Not completely on the same page as his receivers at times, he’s has had some accuracy issues here and there. We have not shown the deep ball to be a threat. That is largely on the OL but Devito has underthrown quite a few of those and has not looked all that strong in the pockets and is not a large threat to break out of there and hurt you with his legs. And when he does I’m worried he is going to get hurt because he slides head first or looks to go toward contact. Why is he always running in the middle. So many times I wonder why he doesn’t cut toward the outside and to the sideline. On top of that we have looked terrible when Devito is outside the pocket passing. That is on both the wr’s and Devito. And when teams aren’t dropping everybody and they blitz, our pass blocking has not been all that stellar either.

I think our WR talent could be better but is not exactly the problem. While the WR’s have dropped balls here and there and have not been great in the scramble drill I think the main differences in comparison to last year are a drop in in talent at OL (mainly tackles) and the loss of Dungey. Many people severely underestimated what he brought to the table. He was a warrior and that’s not just exaggerated hyperbole. Devito is a pretty good passer but I don’t think he has been as great as hyped,well yet anyway. Dungeys game brought so many other things to the table and I think he was a better passer than he was given credit for. He was Just a gamer especially in the big moments. He was strong standing in the pocket, didn’t go down easily and would break free. He had great vision to find a WR on the run or could kill an opponent with his legs. So many drives kept alive that way and also by the added dynamic of his great RPO game. How many first downs did he get on 3rd down pulling the ball out of the RB’s arms and taking it himself the other way. No teams are wasting a LB by outing a spy on Devito. Pretty sure that is effecting slot WR production. That threat puts so much pressure on the D and opens up the running game so much more as well. Just demoralizes defenses when he pulled out converting 3rd down after 3rd down. His game hid most OL problems we may have had. Devito is onluly a redshirt Soph and will get better but he has a ways to go before he is an equal to a senior Dungey. Hopefully his game just keeps progressing like Dungey’s did.

Last edited:
And to be clear I’m not trying to rag on Devito at all. I think he has quite a bit of potential for a Sophmore QB and I’m glad to have him. I’m just trying to rationalize the drop off in offensive production from last year. I just think we need to appreciate all of what Dungey brought to the table and how much better he made the rest of the team look. How could you not just give everything you had on every play with that beast leading you. Any presumed additional passing talent Devito may have over Dungey at this point certainly does not come close to adding to this offense anywhere near what all of the other things a senior Dungey’s game brought. We were just very lucky to have him. The offenses production drop is mainly a combo of QB production is down some, OL production is down some and I do think we are missing a tall, strong fast talent on the outside that you can just send on a fly pattern and have him come down with a catch or draw a flag. Forcing DB’s to be concerned with getting beat over the top opens up a lot for me the rest of the offense. We’ve pretty much found a way to have that guy the past few years. That seems to be a significant difference.

Agreed. Although I think it was amplified by Elmore’s drops, Hackett looks tremendous.

Benson? Guess he really is that fast. Hard to keep a weapon like that off the field.
Whichever coach that thinks that throwing the ball to Rhino when he is split out wide is a good idea should be sent to Rutgers. I can see him in pass protection, or in a heavy set. I get that they think he can possibly spring the WR behind him in this formation but targeting The Rhino isnt our best move.

Good point on throwing passes to our blocking back/Defensive tackle on 2 of our first three passing plays.

What in the world was that?

Cam Jordan looks like Amba physically. Maybe his hands are suspect.

Ive given up calling for Queeley. Clearly there’s something I don’t know

I say this every week so I sound like the poster boy for a broken record. Where is Anthony Queeley and Courtney Jackson? Also missing Sharod Johnson, Cam Jordan, Cooper Lutz, Russell Thomspon Bishop. Syracuse continuously plays the same four and yet are only getting production from 1.5. We all know who the 1.0 is and I'm pretty sure you know who the inconsistent .5 is. The other two are ghosts out there. There are 14 scholarship wide outs/slot receivers on that team. That is including injured Ed Hendrix. Subtract him and you still have eight other wide receivers to choose from . The odds of them all being that bad that they can't see the field has to be very minimal. If that is the case, then why did you recruit them to begin with. The position group that is among the most important to the team and one of the ones that has the highest number of players is the least utilized. I give up, you tell me. I know somebody is going to say "These are the best they have and the other guys are not good enough to play." Then my reply is the same as I said earlier in my rant. Then why in the hell did they recruit them. That position group other than T. Jackson needs to step it up big time or this season is going to go down as just another disappointing season that we have become so used to for 19 out of the last twenty years.

Does Dino strike you as a coach who is hesitant to play true freshman or underclassmen if they are the best option?

Answer...NO.

And if you expect 100% of recruited players to pan out, I recommend you do us all a favor and just stop following college sports all together.

Whichever coach that thinks that throwing the ball to Rhino when he is split out wide is a good idea should be sent to Rutgers. I can see him in pass protection, or in a heavy set. I get that they think he can possibly spring the WR behind him in this formation but targeting The Rhino isnt our best move.
I kinda like the call, but when he booted easy catches twice in a row, it became clear why that's a dusty page in the play book.

I liked the calls. They didn’t work out but it gives teams something else to account for when he’s in the game instead of just a blocking back. HC was the game to both try it and show it.

I liked the calls. They didn’t work out but it gives teams something else to account for when he’s in the game instead of just a blocking back. HC was the game to both try it and show it.
Yup.

It's also why involving Benson is the passing game is such a good idea.

He's proving he can and will get open for chunk yardage.

I think that could potentially be a very big development for the offense.