WR | Syracusefan.com

WR

GoSU96

Living Legend
We should know more Friday but doing some Dinoology I think he wants to get down to a five or six core rotation. Looks like they are thinking a good way to get the best athletes on the field is using Alford as a move TE, which gives gives the team formational flexibility . I think they’d like Pena to be primarily the return guy and the third slot receiver.

The obvious call is CJ and Cooper as the slot guys. Assuming Alford stays at TE the outside receivers is where the uncertainty and competition is. It would be easy to slot Queeley in based on experience but in my opinion he hasn’t done enough to lock up a spot.

There are a bunch of young guys with legit P5 size. Who has the hands, speed, route running, guts, hops, savvy, and heart is the question. Reliability and smarts, let the best men win.

He was one of the guys I said we could ride with last year, I think he is going to be a real good one

And apparently Shrader gave Long & Hatcher a shoutout in a recent interview, so perhaps all 3 of this young WR crop are ready to bloom?

That’d be pretty awesome.
Sign me up!

It's an interesting thread because the two most experienced wideouts (Jackson and Queeley) haven't done enough to lock down the position. If I hadn't read the DO article, I would have said Alford and Hatcher were the top candidates .. both have speed and radius. But now it appears that Alford may play move TE exclusively. The two others I expect to emerge are OGII (obvious talent) and Ja'Vontae Williams (who has opened some eyes during the spring). If Alford sticks at TE I wouldn't be surprised to see Gadsden starting outside opposite Hatcher or Jackson..
Hope to see everyone Friday (bringing the fam).

Last edited:
I'm excited to hear the young guys are showing improvement. I just dont understand the assumption that veteran guys stay the same while everyone else is getting better. Courtney Jackson was our best Wr. He still is until other guys make plays vs Acc secondaries.

It's an interesting thread because the two most experienced wideouts (Jackson and Queeley) haven't done enough to lock down the position. If I hadn't read the DO article, I would have said Alford and Hatcher were the top candidates .. both have speed and radius. But now it appears that Alford may play move TE exclusively. The two others I expect to emerge are OGII (obvious talent) and Ja'Vontae Williams (who has opened some eyes during the spring). If Alford sticks at TE I wouldn't be surprised to see Gadsden starting outside opposite Hatcher or Jackson..

Hope to see you Friday (bringing the fam).
I thought Jackson was the best/most consistent guy start to finish

He‘s not going to be the most explosive guy but he was very good in the quick game in early downs when they did throw

I'm excited to hear the young guys are showing improvement. I just dont understand the assumption that veteran guys stay the same while everyone else is getting better. Courtney Jackson was our best Wr. He still is until other guys make plays vs Acc secondaries.
Concur

We should know more Friday but doing some Dinoology I think he wants to get down to a five or six core rotation. Looks like they are thinking a good way to get the best athletes on the field is using Alford as a move TE, which gives gives the team formational flexibility . I think they’d like Pena to be primarily the return guy and the third slot receiver.

The obvious call is CJ and Cooper as the slot guys. Assuming Alford stays at TE the outside receivers is where the uncertainty and competition is. It would be easy to slot Queeley in based on experience but in my opinion he hasn’t done enough to lock up a spot.

There are a bunch of young guys with legit P5 size. Who has the hands, speed, route running, guts, hops, savvy, and heart is the question. Reliability and smarts, let the best men win.
Here is a list of all the candidates:

Kendall Long RF 6-2 214
CJ Hayes RSr 6-2 208
Anthony Queeley RJr 6-2 198
Umari Hatcher RF 6-3 178
Oronde Gadsden II So 6-5 215
DeVaughn Cooper 5-11 180
Trevor Pena So 6-0 176
Isaiah Jones RSo 6-4 204
Damien Alford So 6-6 211
Courtney Jackson RSo 5-11 175
Ja’Vontae Williams RF 6-1 203
Donovan Brown Fr 6-3 173

It sounds like the staff is looking at a lot of players and the competition for OWR and IWR is wide open.

Just based on the few pictures and videos that have gotten out from the spring practices, it would seem Gadsden and Williams are getting a lot of PT. I see Queeley and Cooper in some shots too. Then maybe Hatcher.

I beiieve Pena was just released for contact a couple of days ago so the OC is getting his first look at him this week.

It is weird seeing so little of Jackson and Alford in what we can see from practice. They might have distanced themselves from the rest and the staff is focusing on building depth.

Surprised CJ Hayes is getting so little visibility. Dino has said repeatedly he does not take transfers unless he thinks they can start. Maybe he is rusty. Maybe he isn’t as good as expected. Or just as likely, Dino is playing games with us (and our opponents).

Looking at Anae’s history at UVa, he typically has 4 or 5 players with more than 20 receptions a season. One is always a TE. Really only 3 or 4 WRs that play a lot. Will that happen here?

Go mentions he thinks Alford might be in line for a pseudo TE role. That would surely be in part because the staff sees no TEs on the roster capable of being a reliable receiver. And that might well be the case right now. Could change completely if we are able to add an experienced TE from the portal before the fall. That has to be an objective for the staff and given their success featuring TEs in the passing game, I think it is likely they will be able to get a decent one out of there.

Anyway, enough rambling. I think we will have 6 receivers with more than 20 catches this year.

I think one will be Sean Tucker. It just seems like he is getting the ball thrown to him a lot. Anae has a rep for adapting to what he has to work with and even though he hasn’t been throwing to RBs a lot in recent years, he hasn’t had a Sean Tucker to work with.

I think one will be a TE from the portal. If we fail to get one, that might end up being Alford. But again I feel good about our chances here.

I think Courtney is a lock for one and will probably lead the team in receptions.

Let’s put the 2 young bucks with the speed and size in the mix as well. Talking about Alford and Gadsden. Hopefully they get the mental side down and show they can consistently catch it. They are big enough and strong enough and fast enough so that they should be the best at getting open.

That leaves 2 spots left. Could be Queeley or Cooper or Hayes if the staff values experience. I think it will be Pena and Hatcher but think Williams might also force his way into the conversation. Guessing the staff wants to focus on getting players out there that will be the toughest to cover in press and they are my choices.

But I reserve the right to totally change my mind on everything when I actually get to see these guys play in what is hopefully a game like setting Friday night. ;(

Kendall Long RF 6-2 214
CJ Hayes RSr 6-2 208
Umari Hatcher RF 6-3 178
DeVaughn Cooper 5-11 180
Trevor Pena So 6-0 176
Isaiah Jones RSo 6-4 204
Damien Alford So 6-6 211
Donovan Brown Fr 6-3 173

It sounds like the staff is looking at a lot of players and the competition for OWR and IWR is wide open.

Just based on the few pictures and videos that have gotten out from the spring practices, it would seem Gadsden and Williams are getting a lot of PT. I see Queeley and Cooper in some shots too. Then maybe Hatcher.

I beiieve Pena was just released for contact a couple of days ago so the OC is getting his first look at him this week.

It is weird seeing so little of Jackson and Alford in what we can see from practice. They might have distanced themselves from the rest and the staff is focusing on building depth.

Surprised CJ Hayes is getting so little visibility. Dino has said repeatedly he does not take transfers unless he thinks they can start. Maybe he is rusty. Maybe he isn’t as good as expected. Or just as likely, Dino is playing games with us (and our opponents).

Looking at Anae’s history at UVa, he typically has 4 or 5 players with more than 20 receptions a season. One is always a TE. Really only 3 or 4 WRs that play a lot. Will that happen here?

Go mentions he thinks Alford might be in line for a pseudo TE role. That would surely be in part because the staff sees no TEs on the roster capable of being a reliable receiver. And that might well be the case right now. Could change completely if we are able to add an experienced TE from the portal before the fall. That has to be an objective for the staff and given their success featuring TEs in the passing game, I think it is likely they will be able to get a decent one out of there.

Anyway, enough rambling. I think we will have 6 receivers with more than 20 catches this year.

I think one will be Sean Tucker. It just seems like he is getting the ball thrown to him a lot. Anae has a rep for adapting to what he has to work with and even though he hasn’t been throwing to RBs a lot in recent years, he hasn’t had a Sean Tucker to work with.

I think one will be a TE from the portal. If we fail to get one, that might end up being Alford. But again I feel good about our chances here.

I think Courtney is a lock for one and will probably lead the team in receptions.

Let’s put the 2 young bucks with the speed and size in the mix as well. Talking about Alford and Gadsden. Hopefully they get the mental side down and show they can consistently catch it. They are big enough and strong enough and fast enough so that they should be the best at getting open.

That leaves 2 spots left. Could be Queeley or Cooper or Hayes if the staff values experience. I think it will be Pena and Hatcher but think Williams might also force his way into the conversation. Guessing the staff wants to focus on getting players out there that will be the toughest to cover in press and they are my choices.

But I reserve the right to totally change my mind on everything when I actually get to see these guys play in what is hopefully a game like setting Friday night. ;(
I would love if there was an obvious #1 but I don’t see it. Best hope in my opinion is Tucker and a complimentary passing game, which depends more on Shrader actually being a d-1 passer

Last edited:

Kendall Long RF 6-2 214
CJ Hayes RSr 6-2 208
Umari Hatcher RF 6-3 178
DeVaughn Cooper 5-11 180
Trevor Pena So 6-0 176
Isaiah Jones RSo 6-4 204
Damien Alford So 6-6 211
Donovan Brown Fr 6-3 173

I'm too lazy to look this up and confirm, but I'm pretty sure that back in Anae's BYU days he played a lot of guys and really passed the ball around.

I thought Jackson was the best/most consistent guy start to finish

He‘s not going to be the most explosive guy but he was very good in the quick game in early downs when they did throw
I agree that the new guys need to show they can make plays against quality acc talent. However, since I feel we have some of the best secondary in the acc if they can show against our secondary more than the older guys they should win the spot.

I agree that the new guys need to show they can make plays against quality acc talent. However, since I feel we have some of the best secondary in the acc if they can show against our secondary more than the older guys they should win the spot.
Or some of the vets may step their game up due to increase competition.

Last edited:
I guess the thought may be if veterans haven't improved a lot their first couple off seasons, they won't now. Not saying I agree, but I can see why that would be the feeling of some. Even if that's true, the wild card is having a new coach. Maybe he's a better teacher. Maybe guys respond to him better than the old coach.

Last edited:

Especially with a whole new O staff and system. At least one person is going to break out this year IMO.

Amba coming here and crushing the numbers he put up at MD is a good example of how new coaches and philosophy can sometimes be the difference

I guess the thought may be if veterans haven't improved a lot there first couple off seasons, they won't now. Not saying I agree, but I can see why that would be the feeling of some. Even if that's true, the wild card is having a new coach. Maybe he's a better teacher. Maybe guys respond to him better than the old coach.
I get it but players develop at different rates. It may take longer for some. Some come in blazing and then plateau. I just think there’s different reasons for the lack of receiving production last year. Competition brings out the best for everyone. I think we will be surprised to see which veterans step up and which underclassmen make the jump.

We have numbers/talent at WR...it'll be interesting to watch what has/will develop.
But the key is the QB that can make the reads/passes. We haven't had a QB that has been accurate throwing deep over the middle/to deep sidelines...drag routes- you name it since maybe Nassib?
We make the opposition defense defend ALL the field and...oh look !! Tucker just ripped off another 14 yard gain.

We have numbers/talent at WR...it'll be interesting to watch what has/will develop.
But the key is the QB that can make the reads/passes. We haven't had a QB that has been accurate throwing deep over the middle/to deep sidelines...drag routes- you name it since maybe Nassib?
We make the opposition defense defend ALL the field and...oh look !! Tucker just ripped off another 14 yard gain.
I think Dungey was adequate there. Not as good as Nassib, but good enough to where if Tucker was on those teams, he would've had good room to run. Maybe Dungey doesn't get beat up as much while Tucker breaks arm tackles our RBs at that time weren't able to.

I guess the thought may be if veterans haven't improved a lot there first couple off seasons, they won't now. Not saying I agree, but I can see why that would be the feeling of some. Even if that's true, the wild card is having a new coach. Maybe he's a better teacher. Maybe guys respond to him better than the old coach.
Im not sure if we actually know all that much about our WRs as the last 2 seasons have been a combibation of poor Oline play, poor QB play, poor coaching and covid.
Im glad that all positions seem to be open and trust that our new wr coach and OC are significantly better at evaluating talent and knowing how to use it.

Im not sure if we actually know all that much about our WRs as the last 2 seasons have been a combibation of poor Oline play, poor QB play, poor coaching and covid.
Im glad that all positions seem to be open and trust that our new wr coach and OC are significantly better at evaluating talent and knowing how to use it.
I’d say our coaches this round have several WR candidates who are better prospects, more likely to contribute, than what we had last season. 5 returning guys, plus at least 5 more pushing into the competition. If the coaches are also better, all good. But they have a better, deeper WR group to start with.

It's the "shiny new toy" syndrome every year... my hope is all of them are good/better each year

If Nassib (DM guy) was the last QB that could hit receivers on deep balls that says more about Dino's system then the QB's. We have all seen the poor route running by WR's and the pathetic pass blocking. I know DB stated that the new offensive scheme was going to be a combination of both, however I would be happy if they totally scrapped ALL of DB's system.

If Nassib (DM guy) was the last QB that could hit receivers on deep balls that says more about Dino's system then the QB's. We have all seen the poor route running by WR's and the pathetic pass blocking. I know DB stated that the new offensive scheme was going to be a combination of both, however I would be happy if they totally scrapped ALL of DB's system.
That had to be the OC's preference because there were more variety of routes prior 2019

Complete guesses here on my part, but I'm going to say Jackson & Gadsen are our top 2 leading pass catchers. I think Cooper will have a nice role in the slot and catch a decent amount of balls. Also see Queeley being solid possession guy, but nothing spectacular.

The interesting guy to me is Alford. Depending on where he lines up (TE or WR) probably determines the number of targets he gets. I think he's too big a target not to be productive. We saw glimpses (and so did VT). I'm hoping he continues to get better and all we saw last year is the tip of the iceberg. I have Jamal Custis flashbacks. Hopefully he gets to Sr. year Custis level well before his Sr year, ideally this year.

Complete guesses here on my part, but I'm going to say Jackson & Gadsen are our top 2 leading pass catchers. I think Cooper will have a nice role in the slot and catch a decent amount of balls. Also see Queeley being solid possession guy, but nothing spectacular.

The interesting guy to me is Alford. Depending on where he lines up (TE or WR) probably determines the number of targets he gets. I think he's too big a target not to be productive. We saw glimpses (and so did VT). I'm hoping he continues to get better and all we saw last year is the tip of the iceberg. I have Jamal Custis flashbacks. Hopefully he gets to Sr. year Custis level well before his Sr year, ideally this year.
Believe the new coaches love tall receivers-I'll be shocked if Alford doesn't get a good amount of passes thrown his way. I also think Pena will find a role. He's too explosive not to with this staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom