X is not the issue Goal is | Syracusefan.com

X is not the issue Goal is

kcsu

Living Legend
Next year we bring in our best on paper goalie in years. Thank Goodness i dont believe our guys made one difficult save today. Goalies cost us the game not the X

kcsu said:
Next year we bring in our best on paper goalie in years. Thank Goodness i dont believe our guys made one difficult save today. Goalies cost us the game not the X

If SU can't beat a team holding them to 10 goals then they've got bigger problems than whose in goal. Each goalie gave up 5; goalie wasn't the problem today.

The defense still looks like a disorganized mess too frequently during games.

IMO, both the goaltending and the X were huge problems today.

If SU can't beat a team holding them to 10 goals then they've got bigger problems than whose in goal. Each goalie gave up 5; goalie wasn't the problem today.

The defense still looks like a disorganized mess too frequently during games.
Syracuse has a lot of problems: Two very mediocre goalies, a defense that does look disorganized, and offense that looks like it has never seen a zone before. If there are that many problems, there is really only one problem.

The defense is a hot mess. They blow way too many slides. Communication is nonexistent. The offense, for all its potent talent, has no idea how to operate against a zone.

OrangeinBoston said:
Syracuse has a lot of problems: Two very mediocre goalies, a defense that does look disorganized, and offense that looks like it has never seen a zone before. If there are that many problems, there is really only one problem.

I don't want to get on a Desko rant, but he was outcoached tonight.

I don't want to get on a Desko rant, but he was outcoached tonight.

Maybe I'm old school, but the style of "lacrosse" Pressler brings to the table isn't lacrosse at all. Lacrosse has evolved to the point where a shot clock is necessary, and not a clock at the officials discretion.

Edit: those substitution packages turns the whole thing into a clown show. It's a gimmick offense, which can be effective, but kills the game within the sport.

creatorsgame said:
Maybe I'm old school, but the style of "lacrosse" Pressler brings to the table isn't lacrosse at all. Lacrosse has evolved to the point where a shot clock is necessary, and not a clock at the officials discretion.

Pressler knows how to play the game. He plays within the rules. SU let Bryant dictate style of play. Pressler took Rice out of our offense early and forced him to play in front. He knew Bryant would win faceoffs and get good play in goal. And they slowed it down every possession.

OrangeinBoston said:

The only problem is the defense - the only talented defender is Harris. Mullins' effectiveness was built on his athleticism which deteriorated after the knee injury.

You fix the D and the offense suddenly looks a ton better against a zone & we don't lose to Bryant no matter how hot the goalie gets.

Edit: those substitution packages turns the whole thing into a clown show. It's a gimmick offense, which can be effective, but kills the game within the sport.
I disagree. Pressler is working with the talent that he's able to attract to Bryant. That's what a good coach does. Gimmick or not, that offense made Syracuse look stupid, and the zone flat-out baffled us.

D was poor giving up three goals on the same play but still we didnt get one solid stuff all game. There Goalie was lights out unfortunately so were ours.

The only problem is the defense - the only talented defender is Harris. Mullins' effectiveness was built on his athleticism which deteriorated after the knee injury.

You fix the D and the offense suddenly looks a ton better against a zone & we don't lose to Bryant no matter how hot the goalie gets.

Harris was out of position all game long. At one point he was even benched in favor of McDermott.

OrangeXtreme said:
Harris was out of position all game long. At one point he was even benched in favor of McDermott.

Harris is the only defender who puts the ball on turf & has the stick skills to scoop it & pass it reliably.

They're all out of position. The scheme needs to be ripped up or the talent needs a massive upgrade (probably a bit of both).

Going to post about the game later but your comments about Harris and Mullins should be reversed. Harris was beaten multiple times tonight while Mullins guy scored once the entire game late.

Harris caused two nice turnovers but other then that was pretty bad and in some stretches flat out awful. Grimm was also a huge liability out there. No idea why we cant get Palasek or Firman more PT. Going to need to look at rehauling the Long stick defenders next year, Tait and McDermott are fringe players at this point and McCartney is average at best. Hopefully we have a young guy coming in to go with Mullins, Young, and Firman.

Harris caused two nice turnovers but other then that was pretty bad and in some stretches flat out awful.
Harris is the only defender who puts the ball on turf & has the stick skills to scoop it & pass it reliably.

They're all out of position. The scheme needs to be ripped up or the talent needs a massive upgrade (probably a bit of both).

You're both right. Harris can be an absolute monster on the ball at stretches, but he never seems to put it together for an entire game and he misses way too many slides. And it's not just him. Really the whole scheme is a dumpster fire, and I don't think it's an issue of talent.

JeremyCuse said:
Going to post about the game later but your comments about Harris and Mullins should be reversed. Harris was beaten multiple times tonight while Mullins guy scored once the entire game late.

My opinions of Harris & Mullins are based on what I've seen this year. Mullins used to be a big, athletic shutdown close defenseman, never a takeaway artist. He hasn't been that effective since his knee injury.

His stick skills - both takeaway checks, ground balls & passing aren't as good as Harris.

ForCuseSake said:
My opinions of Harris & Mullins are based on what I've seen this year. Mullins used to be a big, athletic shutdown close defenseman, never a takeaway artist. He hasn't been that effective since his knee injury. His stick skills - both takeaway checks, ground balls & passing aren't as good as Harris.

Our D clearly isn't as good as it's been during some of our championship years. Same with goalie play. But this loss falls on the offense and the coaches. They were completely baffled by the Bryant zone. Nine goals doesn't cut it.

Bortukal said:
You're both right. Harris can be an absolute monster on the ball at stretches, but he never seems to put it together for an entire game and he misses way too many slides. And it's not just him. Really the whole scheme is a dumpster fire, and I don't think it's an issue of talent.

IMO a defenseman who consistently blows slides is badly coached. I played w/ & coached some true rock heads who could learn enough of a slide package to not be out of position as frequently as Harris & his mates were this year.

IMO a defenseman who consistently blows slides is badly coached. I played w/ & coached some true rock heads who could learn enough of a slide package to not be out of position as frequently as Harris & his mates were this year.
100% agree.

My opinions of Harris & Mullins are based on what I've seen this year. Mullins used to be a big, athletic shutdown close defenseman, never a takeaway artist. He hasn't been that effective since his knee injury.

His stick skills - both takeaway checks, ground balls & passing aren't as good as Harris.

Mullins has drawn each teams top defender every game and shut down mutiple top end attackmen this year. Harris has been benched multiple times this year for poor play. Mullins is our best defender by far and its not even close.

JeremyCuse said:
Mullins has drawn each teams top defender every game and shut down mutiple top end attackmen this year. Harris has been benched multiple times this year for poor play. Mullins is our best defender by far and its not even close.
I agree with everything in your post. I also believe Mullins isn't near the quality of best defenders on most SU teams. His stick skills are weak for a "best SU defender." He's been abused by as many top attackmen as he's shut down.

Harris has played out of position & switched from mid to close D to mask the lack of talent on close D. As a result the unit was unreliable.

Last edited:
What does our D look like for next year, and is the scheme the issue or the personnel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom