X mas | Syracusefan.com

X mas

He got burned early in the game and Jimmy put him on ice. J South same thing. Had that rebound bounce off his face and it was all over!

We were struggling to score for the first 28 minutes and Christmas doesn't contribute any offense at this stage. So JB went to CJ. Worked out well.

We were struggling to score for the first 28 minutes and Christmas doesn't contribute any offense at this stage. So JB went to CJ. Worked out well.

He only got 3 minutes. It's more than a short hook, it's a short rotation. #8, #9, and #10 only had 11 minutes combined. JB's never been a hot hand coach.

Well he did play Dion over Scoop for basically the entire second half.

Season rotation starting to come together. Love CJ.

I hope JSouth just had a really bad night. We do need him.

I am so disappointed in Scoop. He is playing terrible right now. I just don't get it.

JB said, it's going to be the guys that bring it that will see the floor. It's going to be different contributors every night.

Syracuse version of the zone buts a lot of pressure on the back wing guys. If the ball goes to the high post the wings have to bust ass to get to the block and take away the high low pass. Christmas got stuck to high and got beat two or three times. Low post guys from the big conferences are two strong to let them catch the ball that low. He got beat against Colgate a few times but used his superior athleticism to block the shot. He is a freshman and it will take him time to learn the zone. Think about Syracuse freshman forwards in the past. The two who earned consistent minutes as freshman were more offensive forces, Melo and John Wallace. Very very few kids are ready to play the back of the zone coming out of high school. High school zones do not prepare kids for playing the zone the way Jim plays it.

Scoop didn't play that bad IMO. He was alright but in a half court game Brandon and Dion are a far superior backcourt that can actually create offense.

Syracuse version of the zone buts a lot of pressure on the back wing guys. If the ball goes to the high post the wings have to bust ass to get to the block and take away the high low pass. Christmas got stuck to high and got beat two or three times. Low post guys from the big conferences are two strong to let them catch the ball that low. He got beat against Colgate a few times but used his superior athleticism to block the shot. He is a freshman and it will take him time to learn the zone. Think about Syracuse freshman forwards in the past. The two who earned consistent minutes as freshman were more offensive forces, Melo and John Wallace. Very very few kids are ready to play the back of the zone coming out of high school. High school zones do not prepare kids for playing the zone the way Jim plays it.

Agreed! and its not like Kris and CJ struggled to rebound they both had about 10. It was the Fab and Baye who needed to rebound better and we could have used some help form the guards.

You have that exactly backward.

He'll ride a hot hand who's subbed in in the normal course of substitutions (say, Dion last night), but he won't toss a guy out there in hopes the he is a hot hand. In the case of Southerland, Boeheim couldn't have liked that he gave up 5 points on the offensive end (an open three and a free dunk that awaited if that offensive rebounded hadn't clanged off his shoulder/face), and that was that.

Agreed! and its not like Kris and CJ struggled to rebound they both had about 10. It was the Fab and Baye who needed to rebound better and we could have used some help form the guards.

This shouldn't look like I'm going out of my way to criticize Fair, because I'm not, but the number of rebounds he got last night does not mean that he didn't share in our rebounding troubles (to the extent that giving up 7 offensive rebounds constitutes "rebounding troubles").

Rewatch those 7 possessions if you get the chance. Baye struggled, Fab was caught away from the hoop, but many of those 7 were within arm's length of Fair and he could not, for whatever reason, haul them in.

This shouldn't look like I'm going out of my way to criticize Fair, because I'm not, but the number of rebounds he got last night does not mean that he didn't share in our rebounding troubles (to the extent that giving up 7 offensive rebounds constitutes "rebounding troubles").

Rewatch those 7 possessions if you get the chance. Baye struggled, Fab was caught away from the hoop, but many of those 7 were within arm's length of Fair and he could not, for whatever reason, haul them in.

Read douglas20's thread on the game he does a great job describing what was going on. I agree on the FT line shots its not the centers fault but the way we were playing the zone if VT sends 3 plus the shooter we are vulnerable to that and CJ and Kris did great IMO much much better than Rak would have IMO.

Read douglas20's thread on the game he does a great job describing what was going on. I agree on the FT line shots its not the centers fault but the way we were playing the zone if VT sends 3 plus the shooter we are vulnerable to that and CJ and Kris did great IMO much much better than Rak would have IMO.

I certainly agree with you on that. At this stage of their careers, Fair's a better rebounder (and defensively can't even be compared to Rakeem).

All-in-all, I was pleased with the rebounding of our forwards - Joseph especially, since I and others have criticized his tenacity on the boards in the past year, while we know Fair goes hard after every ball. I'm just concerned that Fair is prone to getting out-jumped at the four, especially against the bigger teams we'll face later in the season.

I certainly agree with you on that. At this stage of their careers, Fair's a better rebounder (and defensively can't even be compared to Rakeem).

All-in-all, I was pleased with the rebounding of our forwards - Joseph especially, since I and others have criticized his tenacity on the boards in the past year, while we know Fair goes hard after every ball. I'm just concerned that Fair is prone to getting out-jumped at the four, especially against the bigger teams we'll face later in the season.

I agree Joseph especially on those sore knees was great on the boards. And you are right that Fair against bigger front lines may get into some trouble although I feel he can hold his own for the most part and in those situations he would then be able to get that same big guy away from the basket on the other end. Once Rak learns ho to play the wing in the 2-3 we may see more of him against big front lines. I remember CJ making the same mistake early last season that Rak made last night so its just something freshman forwards need to learn.

VT also played some triangle and two and you can't have Christmas on the floor. He can't make plays yet and the triangle would never have to leave the paint. They guarded Triche and Joseph and the triange could easily take care of the other three.

VT also played some triangle and two and you can't have Christmas on the floor. He can't make plays yet and the triangle would never have to leave the paint. They guarded Triche and Joseph and the triange could easily take care of the other three.

Good point, hoops. We are going to see more of that. Not the triangle. But people getting in the face of Triche and Joseph and not worrying about having to double down on the bigs. I said it preseason...this team will struggle to score in half court sets against good teams.

There are two keys: their ability to score in transition off of the D; and the ability to develop an inside scoring threat.

In what way?
I agree with you. Scoop did not play badly. 4 assists. 2 pts and NO TO's or PF's in 20 minutes. What else do you want from a pg? JB went with his hot hands in the 2nd half, Triche and Waiters. What is good to see is that SU does not HAVE to rely on Scoop. The 3 (or 4) man rotation at guard looks real.

I thought that after watching the previous Games Boeheim would play a more pressing man to man game at times.But that was only pie in the sky hope. I almost forgot my SU History lessen. I cannot believe that James Southerland did not play when Va Tech turned to the Zone and were whitttleing away at the score. I'm sick of the Zone... That Colgate Game brought back memories of the Roys Runts Teams and hope for a 10 man pressing team . A long season but, I drank the Kool-aid

Good point, hoops. We are going to see more of that. Not the triangle. But people getting in the face of Triche and Joseph and not worrying about having to double down on the bigs. I said it preseason...this team will struggle to score in half court sets against good teams.

There are two keys: their ability to score in transition off of the D; and the ability to develop an inside scoring threat.

CJ hit an open three against that defense which was key. With Brandon and Dion in the backcourt and Kris and CJ at the forward spots we can become a very hard team to stop in the halfcourt which was our weakness last year that eventually cost us.

We might need a separate board for rotation discussions this year. Nice win over a solid ACC team and half the threads wonder why MCW, Rak, Dirty, and Scoop saw limited minutes. The four guards are all going to play. Dirty will get short looks and quick hooks if he doesn't deliver. The other 3 forwards and both centers will obviously play with X possibly seeing time at 4 and 5 as necessary. Oh, what a great problem to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom