XC NCAA Northeast Regional 11/14/14 Noon | Syracusefan.com

XC NCAA Northeast Regional 11/14/14 Noon

CuseLegacy

http://dailyorange.com/2014/11/syra...aas-with-strong-finish-at-northeast-regional/

Syracuse women’s cross-country looks to qualify for NCAAs with strong finish at Northeast Regional
By Sam FortierStaff Writer
8 hours ago

The Syracuse women’s cross-country team looked exhausted and discombobulated at the Atlantic Coast Conference championships on Oct. 31 in Charlottesville, Virginia. The team finished eighth and its bid for the NCAA championship race no longer looked secure.
“They had a really, really bad day,” said SU head coach Chris Fox in a telephone interview after the race.
The ACCs were the second consecutive race in which the women’s squad ran poorly, dating back to Oct. 17 when they finished No. 12 in Wisconsin’s Meet of Champions.
But the women’s team will have another chance when it races Friday in the Bronx, New York, at the NCAA Northeast Regional. SU hopes to get back in stride as the pressure mounts to make the NCAA championships. The upperclassmen leaders are managing the pressure while preparing the team with its season-long strategy in what will be the biggest race of their year so far.
A victory would automatically qualify the Orange for the NCAA championships, but Fox is confident that a top-five finish would also squeeze SU’s women’s team into the national field.
The men’s cross-country team won the ACC championship and has not officially clinched a bid for nationals, but it’d be difficult to not receive a bid. There’s pressure on the men to do well at this race, Fox said, but not nearly as much as there is on the women, who will be without junior Beth Wright this Friday due to injury.
Steadying, soothing confidence comes from senior Jessie Petersen.
“We haven’t shown it the past two races, but we can compete with anyone,” Petersen said. “And I expect this team to take us (to nationals).”
Junior Maura Linde is a leader for the women and said one of the biggest factors in calming everyone before the race is to keep a positive attitude during workouts. That, along with making herself accessible, is how upperclassmen ease worries of the runners unaccustomed to these pressures.
“At this point when I was a freshman, I was freaking out,” Petersen said. “I’m calm now because of my experience. (The upperclassmen) help keep people calm.”
The help extends to practice as well as the race itself as the Orange plans to run this race with the same strategy it’s used all season.
Margo Malone runs farthest ahead, then Petersen and sophomore Sydney Leiher work in tandem. A small group comprised of Linde, Haley Cutright and Rebecca Skodis run just behind Petersen and Leiher.
The women employ a chain, which allows for communication and encouragement amongst the runners.
The chain broke in the ACC championship as Leiher, who Fox called the “fulcrum,” battled dehydration. She finished 72nd when Fox expected her to finish in the top 20.
Because a spot in nationals is on the line, practices have decreased in intensity throughout the week and the upperclassmen ensure no one tries to do too much.
“We need to rest up,” Linde said. “You can’t get any better three days before, all the training is done.”
Thursday night before the race, the girls have a team dinner to relax. Petersen says they try to steer conversation to anything but the race and its pressures.
Two minutes before the gunfires to signal the start of the race, the team huddles in a pack at the starting line. Petersen usually jumps in the middle, yelling to fire up the team.
With points garnered from the regular season, Fox believes that the women will qualify for the NCAA championships if they finish No. 5 at the Northeast Regional meet.
“But they should be — they are — better than that,” Fox said.
If the women win the race, they will receive an automatic bid, ensuring their spot in the NCAA championships.
But with anything lower, doubts remain.
“We’ll probably be OK for nationals if we finish second,” Petersen said. “But anything other than a win will be disappointing.”

Syracuse Athletics‏@Cuse 27s27 seconds ago
XC: unofficial results: Margo Malone 6th, Linde 25th, Petersen 26th, Skodis 41st, Leiher 56th. Team results upcoming.

Outside of Colorado and Oregon I would take them against anyone. No one is beating Colorado this year unfortunatly. There is a small chance we could upset Oregon if some of their key guys have an off day. Iona, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and NAU coule also be right there, but I think we are better than them at this point.

Syracuse Athletics‏@Cuse 39m39 minutes ago
MXC: Unofficial - Hehir 6th, Hubbard 7th, Lennon 8th, Erb 9th, Bennie 15th rounds out the Orange scoring. Team results to come.

B2bS5mqCUAAhYMb.jpg:large

Cross Country | 11/14/2014 2:14:00 PM |
Orange Wins NCAA Northeast Regional
Men take first, women fourth at NCAA Regional meet

The No. 3 Syracuse men's cross country team won its fifth NCAA Northeast Regional Championship in six seasons on Friday, despite resting a pair of its top runners for next weekend's NCAA Championships.

Without Max Straneva and Justyn Knight – who were the Orange's second and third runners at the ACC Championship – the Orange racked up 45 points in its first race at the 10k distance this season.

Results: Men's | Women's

Junior Martin Hehir once again led the Orange, cruising to a 6th-place finish overall (30:36.12), with teammates Joel Hubbard (7th/30:36.73), Dan Lennon (8th/30:38.07) and MJ Erb (9th/30:38.41) right on his heels. Colin Bennie rounded out the Syracuse scoring with a 15th-place finish (30:43.68).

No. 19 Providence took second with 44 points and No. 5 Iona finished third with 60 points.

The No. 22 Syracuse women took fourth overall, with junior Margo Malone once again leading the way for the Orange.

Malone completed the 6k course in 20:19.57, which was good for fifth place. Maura Linde (21:02.48/25th), Jessie Petersen (21:03.90/26th), Rebecca Skodis (21:22.22/41st) and Sydney Leiher (21:35.04/57th) rounded out the 'Cuse scoring.

No. 17 Iona (91 points) won the women's title, with Providence (128) and No. 22 Dartmouth (136) finishing in second and third respectively.

Next up for the Orange will be the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Indiana on Saturday, Nov. 22. The men's team earned an automatic berth from winning the Northeast Region, while the women earned an at-large bid from aggregate points earned throughout the season coupled with the fourth place finish in the Northeast Region.

Outside of Colorado and Oregon I would take them against anyone. No one is beating Colorado this year unfortunatly. There is a small chance we could upset Oregon if some of their key guys have an off day. Iona, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and NAU coule also be right there, but I think we are better than them at this point.

You're right. I think anywhere in the top 5 would be a great success. Oregon should have their top 2 guys in the top 10, so it will depend on if their 4/5 guys crap the bed.

Brien Bell‏@suxc 7m7 minutes ago
Syracuse Women NCAA Cross Country Team Appearances 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014

Brien Bell‏@suxc 8m8 minutes ago
Syracuse Men NCAA CC Team Appearances 1946 1947 1948 1951 1952 1953 1954 1956 1957 1958 1959 1963 1974 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

runningorange said:

Do they have a better shot next year? Seems most of our top runners are coming back. Still a top 3 finish will get us a lot of Director's Cup points. Hopefully the women get a bid.

CuseLegacy said:
Brien Bell‏@suxc 7m7 minutes ago
Syracuse Women NCAA Cross Country Team Appearances 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014

Brien Bell‏@suxc 8m8 minutes ago
Syracuse Men NCAA CC Team Appearances 1946 1947 1948 1951 1952 1953 1954 1956 1957 1958 1959 1963 1974 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

35 year drought to a top 5-10 program in a very short amount of time. Pretty amazing.

Do they have a better shot next year? Seems most of our top runners are coming back. Still a top 3 finish will get us a lot of Director's Cup points. Hopefully the women get a bid.

Women will get a bid and the men should have a better shot next year. Lose 2 out of top 7 runners and have last year's NYS champ currently red-shirting.

Women will get a bid and the men should have a better shot next year. Lose 2 out of top 7 runners and have last year's NYS champ currently red-shirting.

Burke is a monster, and beat Erb by 17 seconds as a sophomore. Hopefully he progresses as well as Erb into college running.

And we have Nick Ryan waiting for his chance in the top 7..

Just looked back to the 2011 NYS Class A Championship results.
1st Nick Ryan (Jr) 16:28
2nd MJ Erb (Sr) 16:54
4th Mickey Burke (So) 16:59

Burke is a monster, and beat Erb by 17 seconds as a sophomore. Hopefully he progresses as well as Erb into college running.

And we have Nick Ryan waiting for his chance in the top 7..

Just looked back to the 2011 NYS Class A Championship results.
1st Nick Ryan (Jr) 16:28
2nd MJ Erb (Sr) 16:54
4th Mickey Burke (So) 16:59

Not sure what is going on with Ryan this season- he was not a factor this Fall, so hopefully he'll pull it together. Agree that Burke should be in position to be top 7 next year...those two could be the difference in Cuse winning a title in 2015.

A lot of times it takes freshmen some time to transition into college XC. Most "elite" high school runners run between 60-70 miles per week, but college is a different ball game. Most competitive runners will run at least 90-100 mpw which represents a pretty big jump. In the past NCAA Champions like Cam Levins and Josh McDougal would go as far as to run 130-160 mpw.

Even blue-chip recruits redshirt their freshmen year so they can adapt to the huge increase in workload. It is pretty rare for a true freshmen to come in right away and make a huge impact (as Knyght is doing this year). Burke will likely be ready to make a big impact next year. He might be the best I have ever seen come from Western NY in the past 10-15 years.

As for Ryan, I was a little surprised he didn't make more of an impact this year, but there is probably more to this than what we see. A lingering injury, something that impeded his training over the summer, etc... He ran 4:05 in HS so obviously the talent is there and he still has the time and the training partners to get it back.

A lot of times it takes freshmen some time to transition into college XC. Most "elite" high school runners run between 60-70 miles per week, but college is a different ball game. Most competitive runners will run at least 90-100 mpw which represents a pretty big jump. In the past NCAA Champions like Cam Levins and Josh McDougal would go as far as to run 130-160 mpw.

Even blue-chip recruits redshirt their freshmen year so they can adapt to the huge increase in workload. It is pretty rare for a true freshmen to come in right away and make a huge impact (as Knyght is doing this year). Burke will likely be ready to make a big impact next year. He might be the best I have ever seen come from Western NY in the past 10-15 years.

As for Ryan, I was a little surprised he didn't make more of an impact this year, but there is probably more to this than what we see. A lingering injury, something that impeded his training over the summer, etc... He ran 4:05 in HS so obviously the talent is there and he still has the time and the training partners to get it back.

Great points. My frosh year of running, I ended up with mono from the bump up in mileage. When I got back on the track after 6 weeks of almost zero running, I PR'd in a practice running 3200m.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom