Yahoo! Sports - SU Hoops has drug violations | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Yahoo! Sports - SU Hoops has drug violations

The audio tape? Yea that told a lot.
Exactly. If someone listened to that tape outside the context of the allegations, they'd be hard pressed to know what the f*** was being discussed.

Im surprised the entire team wasnt dropping acid after having sex with Laurie

Did you even read the UCLA story? I sure as hell hope THAT stuff isn't going on everywhere.

Define THAT stuff. I guarantee you that kids on teams are partying/drinking/doing drugs. And fighting isn't completely unheard of. Really, it's not that far removed that Syracuse has had seasons derailed by partying players (allegedly), and there have been rumors of bad blood between teammates.

Let's not be naive, Howland was the coach of Pittsburgh when they started their highly physical style of play. You don't think there was an occasional fight or near fight in those practices? The only difference between there and UCLA is that UCLA was losing, and some folks that had an agenda to make Howland look bad decided to talk to SI about it.

So yeah, I still think both the UCLA article and the Yahoo article were bullsheet journalism.

Define THAT stuff. I guarantee you that kids on teams are partying/drinking/doing drugs. And fighting isn't completely unheard of. Really, it's not that far removed that Syracuse has had seasons derailed by partying players (allegedly), and there have been rumors of bad blood between teammates.

Let's not be naive, Howland was the coach of Pittsburgh when they started their highly physical style of play. You don't think there was an occasional fight or near fight in those practices? The only difference between there and UCLA is that UCLA was losing, and some folks that had an agenda to make Howland look bad decided to talk to SI about it.

So yeah, I still think both the UCLA article and the Yahoo article were bullsheet journalism.
Regularly beating the crap out of your teammates in full view of the coaching staff and not being disciplined for it.

Exactly. If someone listened to that tape outside the context of the allegations, they'd be hard pressed to know what the f*** was being discussed.

Agreed ESPN could have aired the Paris Hilton Sex tape and it would have told as just as much as the audio tape as to whether or not Bernie Fine did anything.

Give me a break he has no control of his team's. Those comments he made were wrong and he should have been suspended end of story stop being biased. What if the championship get's taken away? Now what's his legacy? almost 40 years and no championships. Those 900 wins don't mean nothing if you can't win in March. 600 wins and 3 titles > 900 wins 1 title
Oh Lord

Ya, one has to wonder who (if anyone) "vetted" this 'story':

1- It comes from Yahoo (pat forde's 'agenda' against JB is well-documented);
2- The timing appears malicious (they just happened to "finish" digging into a team in the national spotlight on the eve of the NCAA's ... Right);
3- The article is grossly exaggerated. It mentions wilful non-compliance, yet fails to account for the University's ongoing self reporting efforts (even potential violations are reported) and continued cooperation with NCAA officials. It also flies the "10 players" banner, yet gives details on only 2 players who supposedly played after multiple positive tests (one positive test doesn't bring suspension). And it fails to mention that SU wasn't even required to have a drug policy;
4- Even as to those 2 players with more than one positive test, the article lacks critical detail to support its conclusion that both players were Phase 2 violators who were improperly allowed to play. Actually the policy states that in Phase 2, a player can play after being cleared by a drug counselor. Even a phase 3 player (there's 1 mentioned) can get a waiver from the AD. There's nothing about either possibility (clearance or waiver) mentioned in the article.

Overall, I'd say Yahoo's crack "investigative unit" (according to Brent Axe) skimmed over the policy and reporting issues and jumped to an unsupported (and likely untrue) allegation about non-compliance.

Maybe they were smoking something when they did the article.

reedny: Great points but one thing I'll say is that if Syracuse didn't violate their own policy as it pertains to player eligibility, why would they have to self-report at all?

reedny: Great points but one thing I'll say is that if Syracuse didn't violate it's own policy as it pertains to player eligibility, why would they have to self-report at all?

First of all, as this link confirms, the NCAA drug tests players during the tournament (since 1986) and that it has a manual for year-round testing. Here's a link: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Student-Athlete Experience/A complete guide to drug testing

I havn't read the manual, but have never heard that drug testing is specifically controlled by NCAA rule (as they do for recruiting). Nonetheless, SU does have a policy in place (as the article notes). But what the article glosses over is that the policy has plenty of lattitude in its 3 Phases (clearances by drug counselors, waivers for multiple offenders from the AD, etc...).

Remember, SU has to self-administer this. That means, the University has to determine if a player might have violated the guidelines -- even though sometimes it's hard to decide if a violation actually occurred. There could have been a gap in the test reporting (for example, a player's positive test comes back while the team is playing on the road). If that player was in phase 2, a violation could have occurred without clearance by a counselor.

Or, maybe the counselor gave a clearance on a phase 2 player, a follow-up test was administered that came up positive, but it wasn't reported to the coach or player. Did that mean that the player was ineligible if he played in any games without knowing..? (possible violation).

It's really hard to tell without exact details. I doubt SU takes chances, but we're (once again) going back 10 years under Jake ... who knows.

John Syracuse just paged me something about there being a tape

Ya, one has to wonder who (if anyone) "vetted" this 'story':

1- It comes from Yahoo (pat forde's 'agenda' against JB is well-documented);
2- The timing appears malicious (they just happened to "finish" digging into a team in the national spotlight on the eve of the NCAA's ... Right);
3- The article is grossly exaggerated. It mentions wilful non-compliance, yet fails to account for the University's ongoing self reporting efforts (even potential violations are reported) and continued cooperation with NCAA officials. It also flies the "10 players" banner, yet gives details on only 2 players who supposedly played after multiple positive tests (one positive test doesn't bring suspension). And it fails to mention that SU wasn't even required to have a drug policy;
4- Even as to those 2 players with more than one positive test, the article lacks critical detail to support its conclusion that both players were Phase 2 violators who were improperly allowed to play. Actually the policy states that in Phase 2, a player can play after being cleared by a drug counselor. Even a phase 3 player (there's 1 mentioned) can get a waiver from the AD. There's nothing about either possibility (clearance or waiver) mentioned in the article.

Overall, I'd say Yahoo's crack "investigative unit" (according to Brent Axe) skimmed over the policy and reporting issues and jumped to an unsupported (and likely untrue) allegation about non-compliance.

Maybe they were smoking something when they did the article.

This is a great summary. Thank you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Replace Syracuse with Georgetown...and people would be tripping over themselves while jumping up on their high horse. "I always knew they were all druggies and cheaters, now we have proof!! They should be banned from the tournament!"

Replace Syracuse with Georgetown...and people would be tripping over themselves while jumping up on their high horse. "I always knew they were all druggies and cheaters, now we have proof!! They should be banned from the tournament!"

Can you see anything else in the non existent future?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom