Yankees VS. Tigers | Syracusefan.com

Yankees VS. Tigers

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
I'm done talking about the Sox and am ready to talk about the playoffs. As a Yankee fan I don't feel great about this match-up, although I wouldn't feel better about Texas either. I worry that the Yankees don't have the upper-hand in any pitching match-ups unless the Tigers save Verlander for game 5, in which case Sabathia would be pitching against Porcello in Game 4. Verlander has had a little better season than Sabathia, but I really think the two are a wash. Fister is better than Nova. Garcia has had a better season than Shcerzer, but I'm not confident in that match-up.

I worry about this matchup. Detroit has hot bats right now and their pitching has been good too. CC vs Verlander will be fun to watch, but I worry about the rest of our rotation.

Yanks in 4.

Yanks in a well-fought game one... then wins by fister and scherzer... then Detroit tries to steal the series with Porcello so they can save Verlander for either game five, or the first game of the next series. Tigers in 5

Bottom line is they have to hit. If they do, the rest with take care of itself.

It's generally not a good thing to be relying on offense in the postseason. Offensive explosions do happen, but with all the great pitching, one can't expect to score lots of runs each game; regardless of how good a lineup one has.

My friend works at National Grid there are two ads for tickets

A pair for tonight $140 each Section 105 Row 24 seats 3 & 4

A pair for tomorrow $100 each Section 328 row 10

Are those fair prices?

I know I said I thought the Yanks would win game one (and down 1-0 in the bottom half of the first is hardly unsurmountable), but for betting purposes, you had to love the value in the fact a good hitting team like the Tigers and the Triple-Crown-of-Pitching winner were getting +110.

Also, I promise not to flame against the Yankees all series because I really respect their personnel on the field (not so much their upper management or announcers), but I love that Delmon went yard in the first. Had a big long debate with a strict SABR follower in the beginning of the year when the former #1 pick was injured and struggling. He said he was next to worthless, I said he just needed to get out of Minnesota... I'll take that one SABR.

Verlander sucks early but he may get bailed out by rain. Damn

It's a thin band of rain (if you believe weather.com's radar), but it literally won't move east. Just sitting there.

What a crappy way to finish the first day after a masterful performance by Moore and the Rays

Doesn't seem like they should have started the game at all - just screwed both teams out of starts by their aces.

To top it off, we get to tailgate in it tomorrow!

Girardi announces Nova will resume Game 1. Garcia pitches Game 2 Sunday.

Leyland says Fister goes tomorrow, Scherzer Sunday, Verlander in Game 3 Monday.

If I were them, I'd give the horses a day off, then run them out there Sunday... then they can go game-5 too. If you have to be screw around with their routine anyway, why not throw them Sunday?

Yankees manager Joe Girardi has ruled out CC Sabathia for Game 2 of the ALDS.

Freddy Garcia will get the ball in Game 2, with Sabathia going in Game 3. Sabathia indicated following Friday's suspended game that he would lobby to start Game 2 and then come back for Game 5, if needed. But, after throwing a total of 75 pitches Friday between warm-ups and the game, it's probably the wise move not to bring him back on just one day of rest.

A.J. Burnett would likely start Game 4 of the ALDS against the Tigers.

I think I would start CC in game 4 and have Nova ready to go if there is a Game 5. Throw AJ out there for game 3 against Verlander and see what happens. I don't like our chances in Detroit against Verlander regardless of who we start. I do like our chances with CC and Nova pitching against anyone in Detroit's rotation not named Verlander.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom