Yanks re-sign Cashman to 3 year deal ... Long and Kelleher are out. | Syracusefan.com

Yanks re-sign Cashman to 3 year deal ... Long and Kelleher are out.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The New York Yankees today announced that the club has re-signed Brian Cashman to a three-year contract to serve as Senior Vice President and General Manager...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/10/10/yankees-re-sign-brian-cashman-three-year-contract/

A team source has confirmed that the Yankees have fired hitting coach Kevin Long and will not bring back infield coach/first base coach Mick Kelleher. Long had one year left on his contract. Kelleher’s contract expired at the end of the season...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/10/...oaches/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Long had to go. Tired of seeing good hitters come to the Yankees and then suck.

The New York Yankees today announced that the club has re-signed Brian Cashman to a three-year contract to serve as Senior Vice President and General Manager...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/10/10/yankees-re-sign-brian-cashman-three-year-contract/

A team source has confirmed that the Yankees have fired hitting coach Kevin Long and will not bring back infield coach/first base coach Mick Kelleher. Long had one year left on his contract. Kelleher’s contract expired at the end of the season...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/10/...oaches/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I totally agree with Long going but Kelleher is correct for another reason IMO. Nick is old and he should be home with family tending to his garden presuming he has one to care for. The same goes with family. Rothchild apparently is graded very high as he should be but He looked very tired at times. Losing a coach in mid season as the result of old age and heart issues is not something anyone wants to see or experience.I want a hitting coach to get his offensehittin for higher average . In many cases a single gives you more than swinging for the fence . Tex is one of those that should be doing this. This applies to RISP.Even when your at bat has none of those kind of men on base a single is a good way to get a rally started When your lead off man starts off with a double and no outs,that player MUST SCORE. Long couldn't correct some of the most basic aspects a hitting e.g. open or closed stance and the degree of both when used . One of the most basic observations are demonstrated on the direction of foul balls. I saw one batter this year go up to the plate and hit three balls deep enough for home runs. All three were foul balls That says your stance is too open If you are having a problem getting around a fast ball then an open stance could be to your advantage Even Brett Gardners's late season drop was correctible when his swing was slo-moed. Brett's left foot was moving up to the plate
when he swung at the pitch putting everything he was doing out of joint This isn't rocket surgery. Its breaking down every aspect of the at bat including success AND failure. The technology exists to super impose a failed and successful at bat and spot the differences immediately Teixeira has a some what open stance but is swinging at low and out side pitches with no success. The solution isn't a huge problem. Straighten out the stance so if they decide to pitch him in he can still turn on the ball. The big thing that he caught was McCann's toe tapping which Brian eliminated as a timing mechanism. Not much else

Long had to go. Tired of seeing good hitters come to the Yankees and then suck.

Really how much of this is Long's fault? Ive never thought the hitting coach had a huge deal with how a team hits, at this point most of the hitters are who they are.

Really how much of this is Long's fault? Ive never thought the hitting coach had a huge deal with how a team hits, at this point most of the hitters are who they are.
Eh. Then why have a hitting coach?

I just knew that damn Kelleher was the problem. Never liked the way reached out to take Jeter's shin guard from him when he reached base. The guy was probably costing them 10 wins a year.

A lot of its mental they have or use different tools to help with the mental aspect. But changing someones swing they have had for 20 years or more isn't going to happen. I'm sure they help the young players much more

Yeah, I always wonder. People continually say it's not the hitting coach's fault. And they might be right. But talk about your bulletproof jobs. How do you measure them against other hitting coaches? By height?

Even if it's for scapegoat purposes, he had to go.

Cashman could have been a scapegoat if they wanted as well. Just stuck with a few terrible contracts. Outside of a Trout or Kershaw (who are already locked up), I don't think I'd ever give another 8 year deal to anyone. 5 years, with a player option 6th for the special ones. If that means you can't sign anyone short term, so be it. Yankees set the market, they don't get excluded from it.

I just knew that damn Kelleher was the problem. Never liked the way reached out to take Jeter's shin guard from him when he reached base. The guy was probably costing them 10 wins a year.

I know you're kidding but I loved old Mick. Aways a smile and good hands when getting to a bouncing foul ball At some point it might be wise to have younger player there who can avoid a screaming line drive foul ball. A number of times Larry Rothchild showed that he was getting tired and might be considering an alternate life style in retirement. Obviously he must be somewhat effective n his job requirements or he would be gone as well. The most valuable pitching coaches are the ones in the farm system who may well encourage the kids to add various pitches to their game.I think an emphasis must be the slider and change up, if your fast ball is good enough One thing that baffles me is how the pitcher get their change up to move laterally when the speed is low . I presume that the rotation must be very fast for that to happen. .The splitter is difficult to throw because the effect is controlled with the opposite fingers at the release point. pearly, Tanaka is adapt and effective when he is throwing this pitch. This pitch has replaced the screw ball which is hard on the arm and shoulder as shown with Luis Arroyo and his his arm's distorted position when he was not throwing the ball.

Yeah, I always wonder. People continually say it's not the hitting coach's fault. And they might be right. But talk about your bulletproof jobs. How do you measure them against other hitting coaches? By height?
That's why I look at the expensive bats that get brought in each year, that then become really expensive bats that haven't performed as well as they used to.