Yards Per Play Dead Last | Syracusefan.com

Yards Per Play Dead Last

skurey

Living Legend
We are the worst team (47/47) in the entire country with 2.6 YPP. We are half a yard behind the 46th team. We are a full yard behind the 45th team.

In 2019 the worst team was at 3.7
2018 3.7
2017 4.0

The stats go back to 2003 and the worst was 3.0.

This offense through two games is the worst offense in the history of college football

We are the worst team (47/47) in the entire country with 2.6 YPP. We are half a yard behind the 46th team. We are a full yard behind the 45th team.

2018 3.7
2017 4.0

This offense through two games is the worst offense in the history of college football

Indefensible, those stats are an indictment of this offense and staff.

This stat is disgusting but the stat that has been stuck in my mind is :

32 yards passing for DeVito.
Thirty.
Two.
Yards.

How is it possible 5 years into Dino’s tenure we don’t have a QB good enough to play in the ACC ?

Insane - especially with that Dino promised when he got here.

To me, the most appalling part of this whole clown car is the fact that we didn't bring in a new OL coach after last year. I get it, Coach Cav doesn't have much talent to work with but a new hire may have been able to hit the Juco or Grad markets for us. It's incredible that Cav was brought back after last year..

Which is what makes Dino's remarks so silly. He says we are close. Close to being what? 52 FBS teams have played a game this year. We are getting 2.85 ypp. Improving that by 2 ypp, which is a huge jump, would only get us to 42nd. That is still bad.

If people prefer total yards we are at 186.5 per game. If we doubled that per game (373 ypg) we would still only be 36th out of 52 teams. So yes, doubling our yardage output per game would have us still below average. That is have far we have to go to become mediocre.

Which is what makes Dino's remarks so silly. He says we are close. Close to being what? 52 FBS teams have played a game this year. We are getting 2.85 ypp. Improving that by 2 ypp, which is a huge jump, would only get us to 42nd. That is still bad.

If people prefer total yards we are at 186.5 per game. If we doubled that per game (373 ypg) we would still only be 36th out of 52 teams. So yes, doubling our yardage output per game would have us still below average. That is have far we have to go to become mediocre.
In fairness, both teams that we played are ranked, and I can see a world where adding 2 starting running backs and getting an NCAA waiver for a former starting OL transfer from UF might make make a tangible and positive impact on the running game, which could also help the passing game (esp. the added lineman).

We also do have some pretty big/tall WR’s. I’m not sure that any are ready to contribute yet, but having one of them step up might also tangibly open up the passing game.

All of those players are on the roster and will be available next year (and truthfully “should“ have been available this year). The magnitude of the combined effect of the above is very admittedly unknown to me, but my gut says that it would move us to “just” kind of bad on offense - especially if we start playing average teams.

Our defense isn’t elite, but it’s good enough to win games with a merely “kind of bad“ offense. Add in an unknown commodity or two (transfer, breakout freshman, etc.), and I can see a world where kind of bad turns into pretty good. Will it happen? Who knows? But I can see where Dino is coming from when he says we’re not far off.

The guy I wanted to hire was Eddie O. He wanted this job (before LSU became his), and defenses are 100 proof, and his ability to recruit is the stuff of legends. Even if he failed, he’d leave the next guy talent to work with. But the Eddie ship has sailed and we got Dino. I’m personally not ready to write him off as a loss just yet. His defense is there, and I can at least envision of world where we’re close to having the right pieces on offense. He better win next year, but at least rosters can change quickly in college, so he has a shot to make the pieces appear.

Last edited:
It’s a good thing Rex hit that long TD pass. If not for that one play, we’d have gained fewer yards against Pitt than Austin Peay did. And they played a game that was 10 minutes shorter.

This is the first time I wanted to hit that “report” button b/c it’s so disgusting. But it’s true and painful.

This stat is disgusting but the stat that has been stuck in my mind is :

32 yards passing for DeVito.
Thirty.
Two.
Yards.

How is it possible 5 years into Dino’s tenure we don’t have a QB good enough to play in the ACC ?
Wonder where those folks are that wanted Devito to start over Dungey are?

2018 3.7
2017 4.0

Regarding this stat, a half yard is a HUGE gap and we are basically RICE from back 20 years ago.

He asked more of us as fans and as an athletic program.

It is not unreasonable to now ask and expect more of him, regardless of the circumstances. We love and support Dino Babers but we expect improvement starting vs G Tech.

Insane - especially with that Dino promised when he got here.

To me, the most appalling part of this whole clown car is the fact that we didn't bring in a new OL coach after last year. I get it, Coach Cav doesn't have much talent to work with but a new hire may have been able to hit the Juco or Grad markets for us. It's incredible that Cav was brought back after last year..
If Cav doesn’t have much talent to work with then hard to say he needs to go. He did get Bleich to come in. Seems to have some good O line commits in the upcoming class. He may be a problem, but it’s really hard to know at this point. Devito’s lack of pocket awareness magnifies the O line issues.

If Cav doesn’t have much talent to work with then hard to say he needs to go. He did get Bleich to come in. Seems to have some good O line commits in the upcoming class. He may be a problem, but it’s really hard to know at this point. Devito’s lack of pocket awareness magnifies the O line issues.
I’ve never played on the OL, so maybe I’m in left field, but to your point, this is his 2nd year, the line did get better as LY progressed, and the guy is bringing in talent.

I’m not ready to write him off. Next year better look tangibly better, but I think he’s brought enough interest to see what he can do.

2018 3.7
2017 4.0

This is GRob stuff or maybe worse if that is possible. Just Wow!! Stats and scores don’t lie though.

This is GRob stuff or maybe worse if that is possible. Just Wow!! Stats and scores don’t lie though.
In fairness, 100% of the teams we’ve played so far have been ranked. What’s the highest number of ranked teams GRob ever had to lose to ... I mean play ... in a season? I’m guessing 3, maybe 4.

In fairness, 100% of the teams we’ve played so far have been ranked. What’s the highest number of ranked teams GRob ever had to lose to ... I mean play ... in a season? I’m guessing 3, maybe 4.

Sorry, these teams are ranked in part dt 1/3 of p5 teams participating. They are both good but to not be competitive and average 185 yes of offense is inexcusable. Watch the games, its disturbing.

We really needed the ooc games this season to gain some semblance of confidence.
We have one qb that is currently scared to throw quickly into tight windows and another that can see the throws and let's them fly but can't connect. We'd be 2-0 right now with Dungey or Nassib under center.

Offense needs to start getting creative and also simplify. We can't sustain drives so we need to cut progressions. If first read doesn't look good have a backside deep route and just chuck it down field. Give the receivers a chance to make a play or draw a PI. Worst case a deep pick is like a punt. We lack any semblance of precision for intermediate routes obviously.

Aside from that, wildcat anyone? Option? More one read plays where we have a 50% chance of guessing right even if we don't read the DE properly

Sorry, these teams are ranked in part dt 1/3 of p5 teams participating. They are both good but to not be competitive and average 185 yes of offense is inexcusable. Watch the games, its disturbing.
Watch the GRob games. We punted on 3rd down.

...and the 3rd down punt was actually one of the better plays/play calls. That’s a double whammy.

Make no mistake, I’m not defending Dino. I was an Eddie O guy, I’ve said Dino’s offense was a gimmick that lives and dies by being able to recruit very talented players with specific skill sets, which will be a problem for a school in CNY. I’m just saying there is a bias from SoS, and GRob was a little engine who couldn’t. I’m not ready to give up on Dino yet.

2018 3.7
2017 4.0

Move over Georgia Tech, there's a new Rambling Wreck in town!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom