YES Network to televise ACC basketball and football games and Big East basketball games | Syracusefan.com

YES Network to televise ACC basketball and football games and Big East basketball games

I would assume the YES network is more penetration and market share in the NYC area than SNY or MSG, so that part is good. Pretty sure that the regional sports rights for the ACC are going to be shared by YES and MSG though, so I think this is just one piece of the picture.

Don't like that YES is showing 10 New Big East basketball games too. Hope if they are going to be shown live that they are all going to be played at midnight on Sunday nights, on Tuesday mornings, or other appropriate times to cover that level of competition.

I don't watch the Yankee broadcasts on YES almost ever but from what I have seen, they do a good job with the pre and post game coverage. Not so sure about but the play by play and color people.

I will dare to write it. If Sterling, Kay or Waldman are allowed to ever appear on any ACC broadcast, there will be blood on the walls of the corporate offices of YES.

Hope YES is able to do as good a job covering the ACC as SNY did covering the old Big East. My guess is that it will be very Syracuse centric coverage. It is encouraging to see them single out Syracuse as the reason the ACC is now something worth covering in the NYC area.

The announcement says YES is going to cover 10 games, which pales to 'up to 33' Big East football games SNY said they were going to cover during the 2012 season. I hope MSG steps up and announces plans to cover another 25 or 30 games soon.

I will dare to write it. If Sterling, Kay or Waldman are allowed to ever appear on any ACC broadcast, there will be blood on the walls of the corporate offices of YES.

Oh my goodness gracious. :p

Pretty sure that YES is only a regional carrier. They won't actually be "producing" the games.

boy are those #s low. i hope every game they show is a Syracuse one.

take all the shots you want at the '13 Yankees, but fact remains they usually play deep into October and they wont be pre-empting a pre or post game show for Cuse football.

tom, id guess the coverage of YES, SNY and MSG is about the same, its in every household. SNY was perfect for it has nothing but the mets and we all know they dont play after 9/30. YES has the Yanks and nets and MSG has everyone else, so fitting games on was easiest for SNY.

im still worried about 100% game watching availability of the Orange.

:noidea:

Interesting. Wasn't there supposed to be some YES-BTN tie-in?

Pretty sure that YES is only a regional carrier. They won't actually be "producing" the games.
It's fun to think about the possibilities, though: "It's a take-down by Dy-shawn!"; "Drew Allen is in the Chancellor's box!"

This makes me nervous as hell. Games might not be covered, and then games that are "covered" might just be on ESPN3. Yikes.

Here is something to think about. As indicated previously, the ACC Network, which well happen (whispers) is going to have ESPN as the partner for distribution and production. However as previously indicated, the ACC is going to have to front money for this Network. Whereas many believe that Raycom may be the hold up for regaining rights...I can tell you that is not true. The negotiation to buy back rights from Fox (which bought from ESPN and Raycom) is the more costly and longer term negotiation. This will be done...but as a higher $$ level than previously thought. More later.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!

This makes me nervous as hell. Games might not be covered, and then games that are "covered" might just be on ESPN3. Yikes.

If your not a local fan I would definitely be worried. It usually takes a year for the kinks to work out but with Time Warner sports now on death watch for SU coverage who knows what will happen for the early season bball games and football games against lesser teams ie Tulane/Wagner etc. I dont think out of town fans will have much to worry about when it comes to bigger games but for lesser fball games and early season bball games god only knows what the coverage will look like. Lax should still be under TW sports from what I am hearing.

Good for those of you who get YES. Looks like the computer for me. I was always amazed I got MSG on cable here just outside of Boston. YES - not so much. :noidea:

Plan on buying the full court and or game plan, in addition to the sports pack, if you want to watch games in HD and you are from out of the area. YES has blacked out ACC games in recent years.

The deal linked in the Axe article is the old one, not the more recent deal after SU & Pitt joined the ACC:

The restructured contract also will result in an increase of the number of ACC events that ESPN broadcasts across its platforms. In addition to the ACC’s regular lineup of Saturday and Thursday night football games, the network will now televise three Friday games per season.
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/10/2054760/acc-espn-agree-on-36-billion-tv.html#storylink=cpy

Remember the ACC has a two pronged attack with Raycom Games. After ESPN/ABC gets done picking the best games then Raycom gets the games. They produce the best of the leftover games for the RSNs like YES. I heard another local RSN (MSG) might share ACC games with YES. It would make sense as MSG could cover games in Sept and Oct. I'll defer to MattSarz on this though. Finally Raycom will produce another weekly game for local TV. This is the package Syracuse's local CNY Central got.

SNY used some of their normal personnel for covering BE pre and post game shows. Those broadcasts were produced by SNY...

This isn't good for the ACC IMO. It means Fox is thumbing its nose in the face of the ACC while it may be good for YES and SU NY/NJ/CT fans with YES it means FOX is basically saying sorry we won't sell back those tier third tier rights the ACC needs from FOX to create an ACC network with ESPN. By FOX subleasing these ACC games across the country they are basically saying well ACC these rights are worth more and more and so we aren't going to sell them cheaply and in fact we just may keep them for the next decade because they are cheap for us to syndicate on all the regional FOX Sports Channels across the USA and YES which is owned majority by News Corp.
This isn't good for the ACC while some may think it is the ACC needs to buy back the Raycom and FOX Sports subleased third tier rights to be able to launch its own network.

The worst Sterlingisms of all-time IMO are "The Grandy man can" and "What a jobba by Joba"

The worst Sterlingisms of all-time IMO are "The Grandy man can" and "What a jobba by Joba"

" Oh Curtis your something kind of Grandish" is way way worse.