You are OC for a day- what 3 changes are you making to the play book? | Syracusefan.com

You are OC for a day- what 3 changes are you making to the play book?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Here's mine.

1- Commit to throwing on 1st down at least 40% of the time and at least 40% overall.
2- Commit to throwing to TEs at least 5 times a game (at least half downfield)
3- Commit to throwing at least 50% of passes more than 5 yards beyond the LOS and at least 25% more than 10 yards beyond the LOS

Obviously these are all goals, and the numbers can be tweaked as needed...but tweaked. Not eliminated. Have outlets of course, but they absolutely should be second or third options. The above still allows you to be a run first team, but provided balance. It requires teams to play honest D. They can't load the box as consistently. It forces them to drop back into real coverage which allows the run to open up, or allows the underneath passes to open up, or allows space for TD to pull it down.

Quite simply...I dont think Tommy can succeed without opening up this offense for him a bit. Emphasis on a bit. The above is not exactly a wide open offense

1. Early in the game, sub short runs to the middle for WR screens, quick hits to TE/the slot, flairs out to Jordan

2. Once we're just outside and within the red zone, call pass plays that throw passes that would be caught in the red zone for touchdowns

3. Quick snap QB sneaks on 4th and short

That's it. That's the list.

Yeah, Otto. I was thinking they got away from the 4th and short play that was very effective for them in past years.

FreakTalks, I more than agree with your first 2. Luke Benson has got to be in the passing game. I would slightly change #3 to be more intentional throwing the 5-7 yard pass, and let your playmaker get the YAC.

Runs up the middle began to be very effective (at least the last game of last year). If they can get back to it being effective, then run it

I wont play like I am qualified to be an OC for a day, just a knuckle dragger, but with a fast paced offense, I would like to see the defense have to move side to side. Right now, they are just moving North instead of East and West. Bubble screen to the right, TE dump to the left, TE or Nykiem cross over the middle from left to right, then run off tackle JJ to the left. I would like to see how good defenses orchestrate when they just cant move North.

Lol

BGN_triplestack_reversed_medium.jpg

-I'd throw a swing pass or two
-some quick hitters to the slot
-some bubble screens
-and a TE pop pass over the middle particularly set up by an inside handoff fake.

I'd really try to get my play-makers with the ball in space. Nykiem, JJ, Courtney Jackson. Benson in the seam.

and I'll continue to beat the Courtney Jackson play maker drum until I see that he's not. His highlight film as a high school senior is ridiculous. He's a better version of Erv Philips on that film.

Do we know what the defense is giving us, or daring us to do? Not something I would understand, and it's probably harder to spot now that we're all watching on TV.

I know we want more screen passes, but they only work against aggression from the D. Was UNC doing that?

My sense or guess was that UNC was covering the flats with LBs, keeping safeties over the middle, allowing their corners to play our WRs one on one (hence all the sideline deep shots). Which is basically daring us to run up the middle, and we couldn't get past the front 4.

If that's the blueprint to stop us, then any of us could play DC for a day for our opponents.

First play of the game - I'd let TD air one out to Taj. If nothing else, it should loosen up the box a little bit to give the run game more space.
I second this. Best case you start the game with a huge play, worst case it's picked off and it acts like a punt (which we probably would do anyways after running the ball up the middle to start the drive) but you're sending a message that you're not scared to be aggressive.

If I was an OC at any level where my QB is old enough to throw a bomb I would start the game like this more often than not.

Here's mine.

1- Commit to throwing on 1st down at least 40% of the time and at least 40% overall.
3- Commit to throwing at least 50% of passes more than 5 yards beyond the LOS and at least 25% more than 10 yards beyond the LOS
The challenge with #3 is that the longer passing routes require additional time to develop, which is a luxury our OL has not afforded DeVito.

1) Get our playmakers in space more often. Screens/bubble screens/quick slants/etc. a la Air Raid offense. We aren't going to beat anyone between the tackles and we don't pass protect well enough either.

2) This is basically #1 too...but Devito needs to get the ball out of his hands in under 3 seconds...2 preferably. I'm sure it's a product of poor protection, but TD rarely looks confident and in control of the pocket.

3) If #1 and #2 fail, then it's time to dig into the old bag of tricks and bring back the 3rd down quick kick. Chess...not checkers people.

Do we know what the defense is giving us, or daring us to do? Not something I would understand, and it's probably harder to spot now that we're all watching on TV.

I know we want more screen passes, but they only work against aggression from the D. Was UNC doing that?

My sense or guess was that UNC was covering the flats with LBs, keeping safeties over the middle, allowing their corners to play our WRs one on one (hence all the sideline deep shots). Which is basically daring us to run up the middle, and we couldn't get past the front 4.

If that's the blueprint to stop us, then any of us could play DC for a day for our opponents.
I will admit to being confused about the claim that we take what the defense gives us.

In many cases, it appears the defense gives us nothing.

In other cases, it appears we run directly into the defense.

Any time we line up in the shotgun on 4th and inches, part of me dies on the inside.
And you will never get that part back.

Reintroduce the Greg Robinson quick kick by the QB on 3rd and long? Or maybe even 2nd and long? (Apologies. I promised myself I wouldn't get bitter/snarky this early in the season and look what I've done!)

Here's mine.

Obviously these are all goals, and the numbers can be tweaked as needed...but tweaked. Not eliminated. Have outlets of course, but they absolutely should be second or third options. The above still allows you to be a run first team, but provided balance. It requires teams to play honest D. They can't load the box as consistently. It forces them to drop back into real coverage which allows the run to open up, or allows the underneath passes to open up, or allows space for TD to pull it down.

Quite simply...I dont think Tommy can succeed without opening up this offense for him a bit. Emphasis on a bit. The above is not exactly a wide open offense

Just one:
Feed TD 1-2 shots of vodka pregame to help him relax and play the way we saw in 2018.

I will admit to being confused about the claim that we take what the defense gives us.

In many cases, it appears the defense gives us nothing.

In other cases, it appears we run directly into the defense.

If there's one thing I've finally learned about this sport in all this time, if the front 4 can handle your OL for the majority of the game (both run and pass) there isn't an offensive coordinator alive who won't struggle.

1. More crossing routes, especially vs man coverage.
2. More screens. We were successful last week in the screen game I’m not sure why we didn’t go to it more.
3. *if we begin to run the ball well* utilize play action

from my limited view I thought they were playing a lot of press man with a safety over the top. I wanted the WR screens because it was always one missed tackle away from going the distance.

I could be very wrong but off memory I thought they pretty much had 7 in the box with 4 down lineman as the base D.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom