You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another | Syracusefan.com

You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another

year, at least for spring sports.

Great news for the Lax program.

Probably a ripple effect but would love to see this group get another shot.
Maybe it will help our lacrosse programs. Between corona, the mumps thing, and a limited home schedule this season, the seniors have gone through a lot in recent years.

If they extend this to winter sports, I would think this is bad news for our basketball programs, who have almost no seniors who play significant roles this year. I am not counting Tiana because she was coming back anyway.
Gabby Cooper is about the only player on the men's or women's team who plays a lot and honestly, even if she returns, I would not expect her to play nearly as much as she has with all the talent on the team at the guard position.

Meanwhile, almost everyone else has a few seniors who play a lot and would get another year. And our best player is not coming back even though he has another year of eligibility. Sigh.

Glad for the seniors but I feel bad for the juniors who waited their turn to be the stars and leaders of the team and are going to see significantly less playing time and less prominent roles because of corona.

well considering Cornell never got to even play a home game... too bad the Ivies dont let kids play as 5th yr Srs.. hopefully they change that.

I dont get the winter sport getting the extra yr though.. 90% of them were done or would have been done by the weekend.

Imagine Dearth, Trimboli, Porter, Varello, Mellen, Rehfuss, Helmer all returning...

Plus about 40 underclassmen returning...

Plus about a dozen recruits...

It'll be a bit crowded. :D

SU has had the biggest roster in the entire sport, HS, College, Pros, forever. And by a lot.

It will work out. That's what I meant by ripple, some kids might decide to transfer or recruits might decide to go elsewhere.

Bit confused.

Do underclassman , frosh, sophs, and juniors who played in 2020 including previous redshirts such as Lipka and DiPietro also get back the 2020 year of eligibility?

Great for those whose final season was cut short but now the wait just got extended for soph mids though they now come back as sophs eligibility wise?

Details will be finalized at a later time..

1584124960051.png

Wait a minute, does that mean the student has to attend school another year? Or do they just get a year of eligibility regardless if they are attending school? Why would some players come back when they most likely will go pro.

well considering Cornell never got to even play a home game... too bad the Ivies dont let kids play as 5th yr Srs.. hopefully they change that.

I dont get the winter sport getting the extra yr though.. 90% of them were done or would have been done by the weekend.
So IVY seniors who graduate have another year of eligibility to play elsewhere if they wish? If so, gonna be a free agent frenzy for some

The benefits of this will not be equal. It all depends on who is actually capable of returning with no obstacles due to finances, their career, or other factors (including the desire to be back on campus and on the team for a 5th or 6th year). Say Penn St. gets O'Keefe Ament and Arceri back while UVA loses Aitken Conners and Kraus. There could easily be a bunch of situations like that where one team gets hit hard and loses all essential seniors and another team is just working with 5 recruiting classes at the same time. Doesn't feel right since the advantage a team gets has nothing to do with recruiting skill, talent, etc.

Meanwhile there's us with all our redshirts. Does Mellen want to be on the team a 6th year? Does Rehfuss want to be involved in college lax a 6th year? Will incoming recruits want to transfer if they hear that senior studs are staying? What a cluster

Wait a minute, does that mean the student has to attend school another year? Or do they just get a year of eligibility regardless if they are attending school? Why would some players come back when they most likely will go pro.

Student-athlete means that you have to be enrolled in school to be an athlete.

Besides, how much money do you really make as a pro lacrosse player?

Oh so generous of the NCAA but there is still only 12.5 scholarships per team which would be spread out over even more players. Its not like college is cheap anywhere let alone SU who is willing to put another 5 figures worth of debt on their student loans to play another year

Student-athlete means that you have to be enrolled in school to be an athlete.

Besides, how much money do you really make as a pro lacrosse player?

No idea, but if I had a choice between going to school another year or turning pro, I would take pro.

Nobody is forced to comeback, I don't get the question.

No idea, but if I had a choice between going to school another year or turning pro, I would take pro.

As for the student-athlete part. C'mon, man, I know what it means, but how do you deal with someone who's exhausted their academic side?

Would think they'd have to attend academic classes in some capacity whether that be pursuing a masters or certificate. Choice for many will be between starting a job/ career or coming back. A few may have option of playing pro for supplemental income .Expect split decisions depending on situations and there will be inequities

Nobody is forced to comeback, I don't get the question.

I guess what I'm getting at is how does this benefit Seniors who would have already exhausted eligibility, particularly graduate seniors? Or does it?

The benefits of this will not be equal. It all depends on who is actually capable of returning with no obstacles due to finances, their career, or other factors (including the desire to be back on campus and on the team for a 5th or 6th year). Say Penn St. gets O'Keefe Ament and Arceri back while UVA loses Aitken Conners and Kraus. There could easily be a bunch of situations like that where one team gets hit hard and loses all essential seniors and another team is just working with 5 recruiting classes at the same time. Doesn't feel right since the advantage a team gets has nothing to do with recruiting skill, talent, etc.

Meanwhile there's us with all our redshirts. Does Mellen want to be on the team a 6th year? Does Rehfuss want to be involved in college lax a 6th year? Will incoming recruits want to transfer if they hear that senior studs are staying? What a cluster

That's "Doctor Mellen" to you. He'll have a Doctorate in Close Defense by then.

So IVY seniors who graduate have another year of eligibility to play elsewhere if they wish? If so, gonna be a free agent frenzy for some

The Ivies are free to give extraordinary relief. Treat this as a force majuere that gives both parties the right to reset the clock on their obligations. It's a partnership, the partners can change their bylaws anytime they want, on either a temporary or permanent basis.

How and to who it's applied is up to them. It's not a big deal. You're right if they don't want to extend the relief, then players with eligibility are free to transfer, just like they are today.

The Ivies could just disregard this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom